Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
kjshelly

new material - wood

Maybe you already have a plan to expand manufacturing using wood, but here are my ideas:

I think the wood that should be required for characters to manufacture items such as shields, tools, and weapons would not be harvestable but only purchased at a logging camp or from a crotchety old woodcutter. It would be a hardwood such as oak - carefully chosen and seasoned. Player characters could use it to make staffs, wooden or enhanced shields, and pickaxes.

We do have plans to implement wood, and a new skill, woodwork.

It will be harvestible, from the trees, but you'll have to trade it at a mill and get processed wood.

Yeah? Then how did they power band-saws in the late middle ages? Or with steam engines? :) No offence, but band-saws have been around loooong before DC was invented

Problem with band-saws was that it took a very flexible steel blade to work. Most of the time, in the middle ages, they would use a walking beam saw, sometimes powered by wind but mostly water, that would move back and forth over a pit.

Problem with band-saws was that it took a very flexible steel blade to work.  Most of the time, in the middle ages, they would use a walking beam saw, sometimes powered by wind but mostly water, that would move back and forth over a pit.

I know :) That's why I refered to the late middle ages (around 1000 AD). A walking been saw would look good in EL I think. I don't know if you ever player "The Settlers" but they had wind-powered walking beam saw in those. They looked a lot like the mill in the picture, only the building was extended by a shed-like thing on one side (which is were the saw would have been).

I thought you knew they used nuclear reactors to power them.
They could do that with a group of mages :) Let them all focus their powers at some central point. Put some Uranium at that spot and voilá: Instant medeival nuclear reactor! (well, eighther that or a very big BOOOOM!)

Hm....Y not let a saw make planks of it...to make shields...or bows :) (but thats not coming right ? :() And let the xp go into alchemy...good for the newbies :( ain't that a good id ?