Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest stalag

magic skill

Guest stalag

In the last months all skills have been tuned up except magic skill, and i think is time for the devs, which have done a good job on the others skills, look at it with more care.

Its possible now do pk with summoning apart from a/d (of course) but i think would be great with magic.

So i leave here some spells that could help see wizards on pk fields :

• earthquake: inflicts x damage points on a XY square on all players and animals including the one who cast it. No protection against this spell not even red cape.
  • fireball: inflicts x damage points on a xy square on all players and animals at a distant range. Fire protection counter partial it.
  • sphere of invulnerability: no harm can be done to the wizard for x period of time. No counter.
  • bless of courage: add x to att too all guild and ally members on a XY square. No counter.
  • Magic pierce: MI is countered. Red cape can counter.
  • twisted mind: Human nexus temporary reduce to 0 (all equipment drop in a bag). Red cape counter.

Many more can be add , i just think wizards need attention :icon13:

• twisted mind: Human nexus temporary reduce to 0 (all equipment drop in a bag). Red cape counter.

thats so pr0 :icon13:

Edited by AngelFaceJo

Actually you're wrong. The magic skill is being worked on by some volunteer programmers.

We need special FX before we have such spells.

problem is all the fighters automatically have a high magic skill,

maybe a second magic skill, 1 called restoration(restore, fire protect etc), and 1 called destruction(fireball, drain mana/drain life)?

Guest stalag
Actually you're wrong. The magic skill is being worked on by some volunteer programmers.

Glad to hear then and look forward to see it implemented as soon as possible. ;)

problem is all the fighters automatically have a high magic skill

Not necessary true and top 5 magic has 2 non fighters there.

Pure Wizards (ME!) can never have the upper hand on the battlefield with magic alone. Only the 'battle mages' with high ad, high hps, wearing crown and using magic immunity can stand the pk field. And most of the time they are fighting as well!

Anyway, I'm all for improvements to magic!

In the past, to discriminate between casual magic users and true professional mages, I'd suggest a set of spells at various levels, but requiring a high magic nexus.

Now this is less of a useful discriminator, since P/C heavy fighters can buy the nexus.

In the past, to discriminate between casual magic users and true professional mages, I'd suggest a set of spells at various levels, but requiring a high magic nexus.

Now this is less of a useful discriminator, since P/C heavy fighters can buy the nexus.

whoopsie :P

so lets make it high magic nexus and high instinct (though ppl interested might need to reset)

Can't buy attributes :D

Maybe a one time trade of p/c/w for instinct for ppl interested could be done.

..........just waiting to be shot down here

no one time trade of anything...i didn't get my nex back when sr became useless to make on spawn, so deal with changing conditions yourself :D

Pure Wizards (ME!) can never have the upper hand on the battlefield with magic alone. Only the 'battle mages' with high ad, high hps, wearing crown and using magic immunity can stand the pk field. And most of the time they are fighting as well!

Anyway, I'm all for improvements to magic!

Noone said you can only use those spells in PK. :D

-Blee

Actually... this would be cool... IF we had more mana... maybe have u noticed that the only thing we do on pk map with magic is : HARM/IMMUNE/RESTORE...

u could never have enough mana to get 1 Immune + 2 restores + lets say the earthquake... ^^ Though your proposistions are cool ^^

btw... why not making a diss spell also ? ^^

to get back serious : the spells u proposed are for fighting... u need maximum p/c to be strong with enough mana for 3-4 restores otherwise u spend too much on will Or Vita... coz u know a/d doesn't make big difference on damage, fights mostly so it owuld be pointless to use the pps to get more mana if u die really to fast just to cast 1 more spell... (see my point ?)

to get back serious : the spells u proposed are for fighting... u need maximum p/c to be strong with enough mana for 3-4 restores otherwise u spend too much on will Or Vita...
If a high level Wizard has to rely on armour and health, if the fighters can get close enough to do him damage with their sharpened sticks, then magic isn't strong enough to make the role viable.

Anecdote time: Mydrain vs the PK'ers

Back in college days, we had two AD&D groups; one (ours) played a fairly low magic campaign, where a magic +1 dagger was a significant find, while the group from the next room were on a
power crusade, several levels ahead, and with
"swords of disintegration no saving throw"
. Nowadays they'd be called PK'ers, but this was many years before the term was invented.

One day we decided to try a combined adventure...

The PK'ers decided it would be far more enjoyable to eliminate our group from the party, and there was a bloodbath of backstabbing and assassinations, all done on the quiet, and blamed on the denizens of the dungeon. Until, eventually, our sole survivor was Mydrain the Magic-User; a middling level wizard.

Cunningly, they laid a trap for our poor Mydrain; they gathered in the final room of the dungeon, having dispatched the big bad (
thunk! disintegrate! next?
).

"Its safe Mydrain, come and get your share of the loot!"

Mydrain came into the room, having been holding back down the corridor while the monsters were defeated.

"Alli-Shhhh!"

The PK'er cast 'silence' on the room, no one could speak and all noise was supressed. Since magic was cast by incantation, this was a common tactic to disable spell casters on both sides. But then, with their vorpal swords of overkill they didn't need any magical help against a weedy character like Mydrain.

The set upon the poor wizard, laying into him with sword, club, and arrow, inflicting deep and red wounds on him...

...but the wounds closed up, healing almost instantly, and Mydrain retaliated with fireballs, lightning bolts, and all manner of deadly magic.

Shocked the PK'ers complained loudly to the DM (referee):

"He can't do that! But its silent, he can't cast spells! He can't cast that many spells!"
and so on, but using more colourful words.

The DM consulted the rule books, and the notes Mydrain's player was passing him.

"No, he can do that."
judged the DM.

The PK'ers continued to lay into the poor Mydrain, but nothing they did seemed to have any effect on him, while his magic began to take its toll; unable to cast spells of their own, the PK'ers began to die.

Eventually, when the last PK'er died, Mydrain left the room, to re-enter a few minutes later and collect as much treasure as he could carry.

For weeks afterwards, neither the DM or Mydrain's player would let on how he did this; and it really infuriated the PK party. Meanwhile, our campaign declared that particular adventure a bad dream, and continued for several years thereafter.

So how did Mydrain overcome all odds to wipe out the uber-power PK'ers? Now after 22 years the truth can be told:

He was very very clever and cunning.

When the PK'ers called him into the room, he suspected a trap (after all, he was the last of our contingent still standing). Instead he sent an illusion into the room.

Now, he wasn't expecting this to fool them for long; while he could cast a visual illusion, he couldn't make it produce any sound. But maybe it would buy him enough time to make a getaway.

Then the PK'ers cast silence on the room! Ah! Maybe there is some hope!

Now Mydrain had been picking up all the magical scrolls he could get his hands on; useful for a rainy day (when the rain is of swords of unpleasantness). So he opened his backpack, and sat in the shadows up the corridor, from where he could see the action, and began to cast spells and making his illusion appear to take damage and recover.

If the PK'ers had, at any time, asked the DM whether this was an illusion, or whether they could see anyone up the corridor, they could have seen through the trick (given saving throws). But they never did; they never questioned what was before them, and suffered for it.

A truely effective magic system is one with which a Wizard can use their intelligence, be smart and cunning, and produce unexpected results by knowing how things work. It is upto the player to learn and use these things, and not handed to them on a plate.

Edited by trollson

to get back serious : the spells u proposed are for fighting... u need maximum p/c to be strong with enough mana for 3-4 restores otherwise u spend too much on will Or Vita...
If a high level Wizard has to rely on armour and health, if the fighters can get close enough to do him damage with their sharpened sticks, then magic isn't strong enough to make the role viable.

true : imo magic isn't strong alone anyway... u can get hit lets say at aprox 40 with a sword... + if u use bp... imagine u got 200 hp... 5-6 rounds and u die... knowing its only a spell every 2 secs... u'll see that, when the wizzard attacks once (yeah once only cpz he wont't hit a shit with his 2 smg cood ^^), the fighter will hit 2 times with his sword + having a restore spell whereas the caster could only OR restore OR cast an other spell. i don't think u could combine it.. making a hybrid caster/fighter coz u would be too weak to resist to physical attacks in both cases :/

edit some typo.

Edited by Michic0_oL

Mana drain or extra mana pots ? :D

People used to say that i have too much will (20) but i am happy with it :blink: Enough to cast MI and still having a lot of mana.

Now i laugh at ppl who said that and now add pps to get 20+ will :cry:

Edited by NitageR

Mana drain? :cry:

or

Extra mana pots.

>.< u know we all use immune nit ;X and EMP aren't stackable, u won't last on long fights even with ur emps if u get hit each time ;X but maybe something like 100 vita + col could be ok... lol thing is how to get em ?

thoses spells are nice i agree but wouldn't help much to win a fight on 1 vs 1...

when it comes to a big fight though it could be nice...

ur ganged, 3 or ur guildmates cast an earthquake and ur noob attackers are pwnt... ^^ btu now, u can summon stuff in combat... so its better to keep ur mana for restore spell, cast few monsters and diss

Edited by Michic0_oL

You can ask your friend to come w/ you and let you *drink* his mana but he has to stay out of enemy spell range :D

Btw i take usually 20-30 srs. Rest = EMP's and Mana Drain (mostly last one :cry:)

Edit: typos

Edited by NitageR

Update: Favorite RPG anecdote added to previous post.

I have made a few magic-skill topics before and am all for it.

Maybe additional ideas to really distinguish between p/k and mage:

p/k use harm/restore/etc. etc. atm. + many p/k items, like armour, weapons, etc. etc.

with added to that most of the pp's in p/c a few in will and a few in nexii

now, let the mage have it's own set of clothes that help him on the battlefield:

you can think of clothes from feet till head, many ideas come to mind, cloak, medallion etc.

needed to wear those? magic nexii (tbd how many)

Each item could contribute to:

• mana points
  • spells strength
  • spells distance
  • use less mana per spell
  • protection against magic/physical attack
  • etc.

And the 'real Mage spells' could also require some magic nexii to execute them or one of the clothes needed to perform them. Real Mage Spells could be spells the are based on:

• distance spells
  • evacuation spells
  • stunn opponent spell
  • increasing in strength accordingly to magic level and used clothes
  • etc. etc.

This is what I wanted to contribute to this idea :P

now a reall large thumbs up for what the devs did allready and for the fact that they are looking into magic skill atm.

Maybe 1 or 2 ideas of these and previous topics can be used (dont know the technical part)

But it ís possible to create a 'Real Mage Warrior'-type to battle the p/k'rs and summoners

Regards, GarfieldClown