Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  

Racism

Well Ent, those may be valid arguments. Spiritus's arguments are more along the lines of

"if it's a free country, why do things cost money?"

i don't know really know what to say about the topic about me being a racist and that stuff

but one thing i do know is that in this game i never spammed , i wouldn't say something more then once and if i am on a topic i wouldn't say more then 4 sentence about it at a time... normally my sentence doesn't come atfer my own and also many people think that what i say is quite common i think the people who is making such a big deal out of it just have notthing to do...

by the way but isn't saying that makes other people angry also part of like role playing in the game? there is a pvp in the game right ....

and also is not like we are all the same colour and with the same ideas anyways even in el we get to choose our own skin colour right?

Entropy, I am Head Moderator of another online game. Most of the stuff that has been posted in here would have been enough for myself and my team to look into, and/or banned on the matter if such content was found. We have a logging system that does track the 3 channels we do have and we are able to look through and pick out stuff.

Myself, I have worked with spiritus in game a few times and has never really come off racist to me. I have seen small subject matter that was his opinion, and his alone until other people attacked him for it. I am under the opinion (yes, it is mine) that some things are better left at home, and off an online game. Politics, Religion, and Girls (as the song goes) start the most fights.

There is an ignore function in our game as well, and people would rather argue than use it in most cases. I think this thread could have been saved some time if it was used more often. :)

Just my two cents....not sure if they add up.

I know, some other games have much more strict policies than we do.

A while ago I read the Dransik rules. They SUCKED!

Like no talking about other games on their forum, no criticizing the game, no this, no that...

I believe in some freedom of speech, and as long as people don't swear, spam, flood, blatantly and persistently insult others, etc. they don't get banned.

And yes, there is an ignore feature, so people should use it.

Ent its hard to be nice all the time. I know on ur secret character you really want to use remote heal on monster so that the people will die. I know you have got to have wanted to do something like that at least once. I mean I'm nice to people most of the time, but every once in a while when opertunity strikes ill do something like get a bag after a person logs out and then log myself. LOL one time someone wanted to get you to ban me for getting there stuff after they moved off there bag to go get some stuff out of another bag. Oh and spiritus it just crazy once he told me to tell everyone in the game that he was dying and wanted them to do something for them but i cant remember.

hi i am back from the dentist and hey thank you to all the Pun Ow and Ka Fon for all this support and telling some fair facts about me

Anyways livingston you posted this on the wrong forum.

It belongs in abuse shouldn't it?

i for one agree with spiritus. hes never been obscene around me.and i dissagree with the thing about communism sucking. well then again what i consider communism probably isnt the same as what you all think of it as.

you know commuism just didn't work very well then because there was no money

but hey now i think is cool if they take my pc away but on the other hand FREE FOOD ticket like bag of rice

Just thought I'd put in my 2 cents..

I haven't been around Spiritus when he's been like this and he's always been very nice to me when I'm in the game.

And just because you rant about something and have thoughts about something, you're not putting it down...everyone IS entitled to their own opinion...because we try to share it with others doesn't mean anything...

Hell, Jakuren and I want to go to Japan some day. We're both anthropology majors and we both live in America...when you're no longer ethnocentric about other cultures, you can find ALL sorts of stuff that's wrong with your OWN culture...America is built on bullshit and taxing everything that's illegal (drugs, gambling, sex). If it's illegal or at least bad for you (though, I don't know how sex could be bad ;) ) American government is more than happy to tax it. We live in THE most screwed up society there is!! It's no wonder Jakuren and I want to move to Japan. It seems everyday everything goes more and more downhill. When I was younger, we still had to learn spelling in school. Now? They have to spell by phonetics....no one will be able to spell correct EVER again. How screwed up is that?

So, yeah...frankly I agree, America sucks...but right now, it's home...

As you can see, everyone IS entitled to their own opinion, but also, opinions are like @$$holes, everyone has one, but we don't have to know about them...

Guest Toyminator

Entropy?

Holland isn't really a free country, I live there...

Ok exept the drugs in Amsterdam and the red light district and...OMG

You are right! It is a free country! OMG...i'm just a child... :oops:

What you can walk around naked in Holland? Now if you can do that in a non tribal place (busy city like place Urban) THEN that is REALLY a free country

Well Ent, those may be valid arguments. Spiritus's arguments are more along the lines of

"if it's a free country, why do things cost money?"

heh, thats the same logic that gives the term free software so many problems with software corporations ;)

as i have come to think after some time, "there can be to mutch freedom"...

no system or goverment is 100% perfect, but going rampant flamefest about the faults isnt the way to fix them...

Well, I think politics should be kept as far away from a game as possible, though these kind of things do interest me I have only noticed the rapid decay of online communities where politics and religion have become dominant topics of discussion.

Racism of any form is completely inexcusable and one of the most disgusting traits of mankind, ofcourse I have my fair share of prejudice (a lot of it aimed at the US of A ) so I am quite aware that it's an aspect that is present in most people and is hard if not impossible to repress.

But in instances such as this, an online community where people from all over the world come together to leave their real lives behind for a few moments and have a spot of fun, it should be carefully monitored and, if there is no other way around it, also punished.

Regarding what Jride posted, I am quite familiar with the game he is Head Moderator of and I have to hand it to you it's one of the most zealously moderated and censored games I have ever come across. Cussing in even the mildest of forms can be punished, debates on politics and religion are constantly being locked on the forums, complaints towards the game is immediatley thrown into a separate forum that noone ever reads and is well hidden at the bottom of the forum list, advertising other games is not allowed and well, the list goes on...

The result? Well, definetly one of the friendliest communities I've ever come across and even though it does get on your nerves how fanaticly the rules are being enforced it does have a lot of positive effects, I've been playing the game for a few years and I intend on continuing to do so.

I am not sure if going that way would be the best thing for Eternal Lands since it's great to be able to speak openly about sensitive subjects and so forth but I think we can all agree that racism is a disgusting thing that should not be accepted in any society or community.

Lets not throw away the baby with the bathwater. Freedom of speech is quite important, things like the smeg-modulator are a fun way of keeping cursing in line, but strict moderation of anything said can get out of hand easily. Regardless, some forms of expression are offensive and even illegal, and should be checked. Racism is one, but by far not the only issue in this regard. However, I honestly feel moderation in EL is balanced without suffocating players. I mean, in some online games, making a joke about beavers or beaver fur is enough to get you banned, while nobody should take offense to such innocent, although cheezy, jokes. (Well, except people with excessive undergrowth maybe). The point is, if someone is offensive there's always a moderator to report to, and the system works the way it is. EL is relaxed, let's please keep it that way, and let's be nice to each other.

Everyone hold hands..."kumbayaaa..." :roll:

Umm, racism is one thing, criticizing a country is different.

I think that talking about politics is a good think, as long as it's kept decent. As for our moderation, I like it as it is, unlike most of the 'family oriented' games where if you say something even remotely sexual you get teh banned.

Well i have an oppinion on racism and here it goes: To the racists-Get a life or a spouse of a different race. And ya know why?:the more you mix genetic codes the stronger they become to viruses and other things.now if we were all the same shade of grey in the future then we would be an uber race. think about the creoles in new orleans they had the right idea- indiscriminate lovemaking :!:

Cussing in even the mildest of forms can be punished, debates on politics and religion are constantly being locked on the forums, complaints towards the game is immediatley thrown into a separate forum that noone ever reads and is well hidden at the bottom of the forum list, advertising other games is not allowed and well, the list goes on...  

The result? Well, definetly one of the friendliest communities I've ever come across and even though it does get on your nerves how fanaticly the rules are being enforced it does have a lot of positive effects, I've been playing the game for a few years and I intend on continuing to do so.  

Censorship doesn't make the community any friendlier, it just doesn't show the parts the person in charge doesn't want you to see. As for politics and religion, i think it's good to talk about them. In a community you are supposed to be able to speak your mind. What you're saying sounds more like a harsh dictatorship.

And racism isn't exactly digusting, although i don't want to hear someone rant about it. In a way, i like it. Then you can laugh at them twice as hard when they get their @ss kicked by someone who is "inferior". :wink:

Spiritus is cool... and very nice. I admit that I'm shocked that you people would want to get him banned. Jealous maybe? He's a good guy, and i doubt he actually offended anyone. He's help me on many occasions, I NEVER heard any racial comment or slur slips his fingers, nor any rude comment slip his fingers. You people, in my point of view, are abusing this Ban section. Please think carefully before you decide to ban someone, especially as cool as Spiritus.

I don't think poltitics should be discussed online...

Keep such discussions here on the forum, where you can create a speciel thread for it, if you want to.

But if you HAVE to discus it in the actual game, you could at least go to the general chat or to a channel, you have agreed on.. Just don't see any reason why everyone else should be draged into such discussions..

Yea, a politics channel would be great! *Puts union jack poster above pc* im ready!