Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
algunar

one off production

serpent swords, titanium platemails and steel helmets. lots of people have these in-game, not just one. how about having rare items, where there is only one of it in the game. it cannot break or disappear. also, there could be certain items where only specific types of players can wear/wield it, like gm's or mods.

p.s. apologies if this has been suggested already, i did my best trying to search.

Edited by algunar

Unique items would require a lot of work on the part of the developers (code and story), so to be worthwhile they should have more effect than just to boost an individual character. They should have wide reaching affects, and world changing consequences.

Since they are unique, they cannot be allowed to stay safely in the hands of one character; since you cannot steal out of somebodies inventory, and there is no compulsion to go to a PK area, some other means of keeping the item circulating must be made.

If items can be counted reliably by the server, then the chance to create exotics could be modified by the number currently active. But given that there is already a lack of "wow" moments in the game, this may be unwise.

Unique (or counted) items also requires that you decide how to handle inactive characters.

I tried to address some of these issues in the threads on artifacts:

Since they are unique, they cannot be allowed to stay safely in the hands of one character; since you cannot steal out of somebodies inventory, and there is no compulsion to go to a PK area, some other means of keeping the item circulating must be made.

The only way i could see to solve this would be to have a time limit on the item being in any one person possesion.

ie: After 7 days RL the item leaves the players INV and is either given to another random player or dropped in a Hyperspace bag .

But as rightly said is it worth the programmers already busy time to make an item that is a one off that only benefits one player at a time ? :P