Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
VriS@K

World event

hm...I thought thet is a good idea to put world events. Something like invasions but much stronger! Like Entropy choose one of the players,and tell him thet he is the choosen one to save te Eternal Lands. Now He say him some big quest to do to save the world,and thet player must do thet with his friends in roll play. BUT! All world is in war! Gods are in war,elf,dwarfs! Evryone! To stop the chaos in world he must do the quest... Exaple:"Morots wona destroy a world and he send invasions on evry plays in earth! Now thet player must find 4 magic stones and put them in Aluwens castle to summon it to the earth...Bla.bla..bla."..Something like thet. And then if he maneg to do thet they Put him in EL history on a website...and if he not...Hm...I dont know :D You give a idea :)

...Bla.bla..bla

I like this part very much.

I've read your post couple times and still keep missing some of your points.

What you're suggesting is kind of Epic Quest. Assigned to one of the players (how to pick such and avoid bitching of all others?). It would be kind of RP event (considering how the RP events are going so far - very difficult to do). Kind of invasion (we have quite many of them - some of them involve gods and their conflicts).

To make such event one would have to dig in Official Story line not to do anything against it. Also it would require lots of help from the side of developers and moderators as well as Event Team members.

I would like to see one of the big and long events we used to have. Hopefully one day we will have them.

For your suggestion. I think you should try contactig some of the Event Team members and talk to them about it.

Regards,

Gilean

So while this one player is having fun doing the quest, the rest of us are getting slaughtered? What happens if the player fails?

If you are doing something like this, then have the quest open to any character. They return the quest item(s) to a temple of their choosing, which then beings the world into the light of that god for the next month/year.

But having the world decend into chaos (more than it is already) wouldn't be popular with a lot of players.

It may make for a good story, epic quest fantasy against a boiling world, but those stories don't go into much detail of the lives of the other people in the world, outside their lead characters. Most of the players in EL would be those bystanders.

No,no,no! You all get wrong! The ONE is chosen!!! And others helps him but only he can do the quest! Like in movies! Like he have only 4 days to do it! And others do not get slaugthered! Big event! Chaos evrywhere! World is on the brink of the distruction and his fate is in hands of one player... Get it now?! Something thet will get EL diferent from other MMORPGS..They are all the same...And even EL is geting to them and becaming alitle boring...This woud make him diferent! Like the players are making the new history of EL! Like they changing the world!

Again, as trollson pointed out, EL players are NOT going to like their whole world turned into chaos for an indefinite length of time so only ONE person can benefit. They will leave! (And if we are all forced to war and in danger, how is that NOT a slaughterhouse?)

And the "chosen" one will be labeled as a "teacher's pet" and everybody else will whine and complain how unfair it is, why not them, it's rigged...

All in all I have to say this is NOT a good idea at all.

I'm quite undecided on the idea, but before discussing the pro and con shouldn't we forst clarify what the idea is?

1. he suggested a randomly chosen player: causing trouble as you pointed out

2. the chosen needs to safe the world: as this is suggested as to make more rp happen it would be like no slaughtering if the chosen one accomplishes his task --> people will help achieve this...

3. there's a time limit for the world to be safed, if not there could be like a really big invasion, or say, something like a special day --> day of chaos: all maps become pk maps...

this would maybe create some rp for the time while the world is in danger and if the quest fails result in chaos for a limitet (!) time...

problems:

1. people bitching about "why him, why not me"...

2. how to control the quest thing? if the chosen one has to return some things to a temple how does he get them in first place... and what about the chosen one be offline and time running out?

3. many people will not like the risk of the world falling into chaos... even if it is only for some hours...

as I said I'm undecided about the idea, but I tried to clarify what was suggested, or what I think *could* be an interesting thing for the game...

Further difficulty, what if the person chosen doesn't want to save the world? Just look at GIWS, a lot of fighters didn't want to contribute, because its more fun for them if there are no warnings. If the person picked is random, its entirely possible that they might decide its more fun to let the world go to pot, so they can have fun fighting stuff (or bagjumping the unfortunates :cry:).

Now, a workable idea for an event would be that the hosts are the chosen ones, and normal players can aid them complete their quest. This is often the format for many ingame events and contests. If you wish to write such an event, feel free, the event's team always likes to hear new ideas.

I think what you are most interested in, is the possibility of the involved parties becoming part of the Eternal Lands history, which would be pretty neat. However, as has been said, it would have to be very well written in order to avoid conflict with existing stories (and stories in progress), and obviously get approval to be included.

While the original suggestion was too extreme and unbalanced, there is a grain of interest in it: An evolving background world, with proper cause and effect, could add a lot to the game.

Various power groups (states, churches, merchant leagues, etc) could interact, ally, via, and compete. Player actions could influence events (though not limited to a chosen wunderkid).

So how would a war play out?

Two power groups (represented by NPC Guilds maybe?) go to war; but this should not be completely out of the blue, there should be lead-up events. Keen eyed observers could see this coming (and player actions could prevent it).

The early war would take place on a map between the two power groups; which becomes PK for this time as law and order break down. A dangerous place to be if you don't want to fight; but meanwhile merchants on either side will offer more for arms and armour, giving articifers some involvement.

As the war progresses, the 'war zone' moves closer to the home map of the losing side, until there is fighting on the streets of Portland (say).

What factors determine how a war progresses?

• Player guilds could ally with the representative NPC power, and the guild war mechanism used to tally a score between guilds allied to opposing powers (in the war zone?).
  • The notional armies of either side are funded by the goods sold to their merchants by characters; these also contribute to the progress of the war.
  • A war can end in a white peace, if neither side makes any progress for some time.

What happens after the war? This inevitably gets into more power-politics behind the scenes, as influences wane and wax.

But wars should be only one visible effect of the behind-the-scenes power-politics.

This gived me an idea! Thet you sed but to put capture the flag! Something like Batllefield 1942. Two nations,players chooes on witch side they shoud be (now goes all thet trollson sed) BUT! We put thet players can conqure citys and vilages! Thet thet two nations have war against the places and players on each nation can attack only each other,they cant attack neutral players. What do you think about this>?

HAHAHAHHAHA! Gielan you are crazy ! LOL! O i gona die from laugh! Gialen if you a girl i woud kiss you! :P

Your idea trollson seems very well thought out and to me it seems to be a good one. But would these wars be over night events, or would they last weeks to months as the war shifts and changes. Also, will they effect people who have nothing to do with the powers? People who have no idea, or are just neutral?

This means as well that guildless players cannot join the war, they must be in a guild to influence and fight right?

Your idea trollson seems very well thought out and to me it seems to be a good one. But would these wars be over night events, or would they last weeks to months as the war shifts and changes. Also, will they effect people who have nothing to do with the powers? People who have no idea, or are just neutral?

This means as well that guildless players cannot join the war, they must be in a guild to influence and fight right?

sparhawk:

I'd see these things happening over some time, more like days, weeks, months, rather than overnight. Duration would depend on events, hence the "white peace" to avoid stagnation.

All characters would be affected, the don't have to belong to a Guild allied to a power. The only additional PK'ing would be the war zone, which is a normal PK area for the duration of the fighting. Power-allied guilds in combat would count towards the progress of the war; and normal guild-war rules apply.

Any character selling arms and armour (or other required material) to the merchants (NPCs) of either side would be playing a part; if all the artisan guilds decided to back Portland by providing it with lots of weapons, then it may win a war even if the PK Guilds are on the other side.

An important point here is that non-fighter guilds can make a difference; they don't need to be allied.

But also remember that the "war" example is just one background activity. There should be many more types of extended events and goings-on shaping the background of Draia. A reason to read the EL Newspapers.