Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
kjshelly

putting some documentation in-game

Some of the reference material that currently is found on the web site could be placed in-game. This could be in the form of a sage to ask questions to (for a fee?) or a librarian in the White Stone City library could drag out a book with the answer to your question and show you that particular page.

Some types of information that could be done that way are:

The overall game maps.

Magic spell casting reference.

Items, their appearance, descriptions, and abilities.

Player races.

Creatures, with appearance, descriptions and abilities.

A sage might be able to answer questions like:

"Where can gold be mined?" or "Where can I buy a (whatever) item?"

I'm pretty sure that some of this stuff can be found through the Newbie helper on Isla Prima, however I do like the idea of a library with an Atlas, bestiary, history of the races, bestiary.. all sorts of useless stuff that adds to the game

Not that usefull.

First of all, most of the people don't even 'chat' with the newbie helper, and very few read the website.

We need to update the website, to include more info, and there are also fan sites with various info on them. We want to focus on teh importantl most desired features first, such as guilds and housing.

The best fansite so far I think is www.eternal-lands.de but the problem is that it's A) in german and :) Half the pages fail to load (PHP errors. Fail to include stream).

I got an idea, why don't you add a button to the ingame console that takes you to the manual website? One thing newbies will do is press all the buttons at the bottom of the screen to see what it does :)

it would be a bit interesting for a person could set up a spell book of spells so that he could click it to fill in the sequence of sigils :)

I got an idea, why don't you add a button to the ingame console that takes you to the manual website?

I'm not too fond of calling external programs from the game. There will almost certainly be cases where it doesn't work, and then you'd have newbies asking you wtf that button is for. I'd rather have them ask question about the game then:)

That's true Grum, but you would also have less newbies spamming the channels and forums with questions that are answerd extensively in the manual, the guide and about aby other EL fansite you can find.

Newbies asking questions is no problem. Newbies asking stupid questions over and over again is what I don't like. Especially if Entropy starts advertizing because then we will get a horde of newbies to deal with. I rather spend my time on helping newbies that need help instead of answering stupid questions that have been asked and aswered hundreds of times.

it isnt realy a problem as the client allready supports url catching so it can use the same entry. only problem is that you have to modify the ini at times (the base one is set for win9x, linux or win2k/xp needs to be selected manualy)...

I know it's already implemented. But the problem is, if someone doesn't know about url catching he will simply never find out. But when he sees a button in the game, he'll expect it to work.

maybe its time for a windows installer?

who wrote the config program btw?

allso, in a windows enviroment i think you can just toss the url out as a command call and the os will pick it up and pass it to default browser. atleast that how i got mozilla to work in mirc for a while :)