Eternal Lands Official Forums
serene

el women

Hello

Maybe this isnt the right place but I cant find a better place at the forum to tell this

Why is Radu only talking to the "guys" ?? What about the girls and women that play el???

I hope we count as well......

Thank you

Serene

im sure he meant everyone in general, could have been busy and only had a quick time to talk who knows? sure he didnt mean to be sexist though ;o

O.o i'm a girl too but i'd never feel offended to be one of the "guys".

Besides Radu is a busy guy, its great enough that he even bothers saying hi to us once in a while :P

'guy' means a man but 'guys' is unsexual plural..

My dictionary does not show 'guys' as being unsexual plural...

Some women do not prefer to be grouped in the male gender. Some males do not see why that should be an issue.

When referred to as one of the 'guys' I often reply with "I am not a guy, but..."

I am not passing judgement on how that statement was intended.

saying "one of the guys" is diferent from saying "hey guys"

edit: this seems more like a general chat thread.

Edited by Happy_G

saying "one of the guys" is diferent from saying "hey guys"

edit: this seems more like a general chat thread.

Personally, I do not like to be referred to in either context. I am female. Guys = male. My point is just that not everyone agrees that 'guys' is an acceptable term for 'a group of people'. I don't freak out and get all offended or anything. I think that serene was trying to suggest that she doesn't feel it is an acceptable term. *shrug*

It isn't that big a deal to me. I don't like it, but...whatever.

Not that I care about being percieved as being offensive by some people, but do you have a specific example?
not that I care about gender-oriented collective noun usage, but...
[05:55:19] #Message from radu: BTW, guys, we have a new record, 700 players (excluding the bots) online!

was probably it, since it's recent and all

I don't mind Radu saying from now on 'ladies' instead of guys. The part after this 'guys'/'ladies' is usually a bit more important o.O

Gil

i dont see it as any problem, and i'm sure ent wasnt being derogatory (spelling??) with it.

most aspects of the game are already s/he and 'he or she' anyway. cant get hung up about such small things.

I'm pretty sure Radu wasn't thinking 'Oh, let me piss off all the ladies by saying guys.' When he said that.

He shouldn't bother changing what he says because no matter what people will find anything offensive =/

Just my two cents.

I don't know if this is true in all cultures, but at least in the US, I have seen groups of girls talking among themselves, and using "guys" to refer to the group as a whole.

The reason I asked for an example was to see if I made a mistake.

As expected, I didn't. An english dictionary will define guys as: "Informal. Persons of either sex."

Yes, this is informal, but is not like we are on TV or something.

From merriam-webster online dictionary:

guy

3 a : MAN, FELLOW b : PERSON -- used in plural to refer to the members of a group regardless of sex <saw her and the rest of the guys>

Umm yeah, I read dictionaries :evilgrin:

I don't know if this is true in all cultures, but at least in the US, I have seen groups of girls talking among themselves, and using "guys" to refer to the group as a whole.

Exactly. It can be used as a term for a group as a whole.

I disagree entirely, from now on instead of saying GUYS and risking offending someone, radu should use PLEBIANS.

Plebs :)

I stand corrected. *Note to self* Purchase a new print dictionary */Note* My trusty Funk & Wagnalls Dictionary is apparently outdated and only stated that 'guys' is the plural for guy. You learn something new everyday.

*eats popcorn*[/img] Someone please close this post? :)

Edited by ELVARG