Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
algunar

An idea for Quests

i dont really know what you guys are planning for quests right now, but what i do know is that all the quests i have done so far are item collection quests. i would like to see proper fighting quests, where the quest is completed through fighting, not by picking up DB's or even easier, what most people do, buy the items from shops.

this new kind of quest would work by making it so that when you say "yes" after some npc says "orcs attacking our village! will you help?", a procedure starts.

firstly, you get transferred (or teleported) to another map. this map is exactly the same as one of the places in EL (somewhere like Mynadar or Corren), only in a different world, and it is just that part of the map. this means all the non-moving objects (houses, barrels etc.) are there, but all moving objects, or "living things" (players, monsters, npcs etc.) are gone. so you're left all by yourself there, meaning...

...secondly, the so called monsters attacking the village can spawn there and attack you, without affecting the lives of players in the "normal" world. you then kill all the spawns off and, possibly with the help of the new counters thing, it is realised that you have successfully completed the quest, meaning...

...thirdly, you are automatically teleported back to the npc you spoke to and you receive your reward. if you died during the quest, you go to the underworld, like normal.

this whole teleporting to another world thing is because it would be so unfair if the chimmys you were gonna fight spawned in the "real" world, cos, obviously, noobs die. also, it would mean that you can design maps especially for quests, and not have to worry about how they fit in with everything else. these quests could also be other kinds of quests, not just fighting, but, erm...you spawn into a map of chess! or something. chess is just ridiculous though.

anyway, thoughts and comments plz.

Algunar

what counters thing? if you mean in the client, mix counts and all that, that's no good. you can only trust data on the server, which that isn't

instance maps are an okay idea, but when you consider how many people could be on an instance map, each with a bunch of monsters... it gets ugly for the server

anyway, instance of invasions sounds like a/d farming to me... just make do with the contests, organize stuff with other players, or play with some of the bots

i dont really know what you guys are planning for quests right now, but what i do know is that all the quests i have done so far are item collection quests. i would like to see proper fighting quests, where the quest is completed through fighting, not by picking up DB's or even easier, what most people do, buy the items from shops.

this new kind of quest would work by making it so that when you say "yes" after some npc says "orcs attacking our village! will you help?", a procedure starts.

firstly, you get transferred (or teleported) to another map. this map is exactly the same as one of the places in EL (somewhere like Mynadar or Corren), only in a different world, and it is just that part of the map. this means all the non-moving objects (houses, barrels etc.) are there, but all moving objects, or "living things" (players, monsters, npcs etc.) are gone. so you're left all by yourself there, meaning...

...secondly, the so called monsters attacking the village can spawn there and attack you, without affecting the lives of players in the "normal" world. you then kill all the spawns off and, possibly with the help of the new counters thing, it is realised that you have successfully completed the quest, meaning...

...thirdly, you are automatically teleported back to the npc you spoke to and you receive your reward. if you died during the quest, you go to the underworld, like normal.

this whole teleporting to another world thing is because it would be so unfair if the chimmys you were gonna fight spawned in the "real" world, cos, obviously, noobs die. also, it would mean that you can design maps especially for quests, and not have to worry about how they fit in with everything else. these quests could also be other kinds of quests, not just fighting, but, erm...you spawn into a map of chess! or something. chess is just ridiculous though.

anyway, thoughts and comments plz.

Algunar

No,

quests will be real to the EL world, hence no mini-games like in RS. And, more importantly, the programming suport for this is scarce at best.