Entropy

SMS notification!

Interested in SMS notifications?  

199 members have voted

1. 1. Interested in SMS notifications?

• Yes
    • No
    • WTF is SMS??11?

Im not interested because I feel that it would be a waste of my money. I mean if im out somewhere and I have my cell, Im not going to run home to play EL. I think that when you play a game you should play it when its a good time for you.

When I have time to play, I play. When I make time to do other things, then that's what I'm doing. Special days, invasions, etc. aren't enough to alter when I play. Its also fun the unknown aspect - when I log in, what's going to be going on. How will I adapt and make best use of my time if something special is happening. Sometimes I log in expecting to do one thing and end up changing plans completely... part of the challenge and fun of the game for me.

Works in Orange Poland, but I think I'm not gonna use it. It would mean I'm addicted to a game. Plus I can think of better ways to spend 10$. :]

Edited by Ulrih

Voted yes,

Even better idea is to have jabber - EL integration. (Same thing that stalker314314 is working on, earlier post).

With jabber EL bot could send Instant message notifing you about day or special event.

Jabber can be intergarted with other protocols so msn, yahoo, icq and gadu-gadu folks could get notified too.

Did I mentioned it is free. :P

Jabber.org

I personally like the idea, but the only reason that would keep me from using it, is the cost. I know it's not much, but, i'm trying to save my money and stop buying everything i want :P

so, i'm not voting.

wtf is SMS?!?!!1?

sMooMs :P

#edit -

omg, there r day of no drops, i will tell my gf the date is off !

LOL!

Edited by Liquid

Maybe a possibility to send not only the #day info, but also some messages to players would be useful for some people. Of course with some spam-protection or limiting it to guildies/buddies.

Its a "No" from me.

I wont run back home from work or whereever i am just because i get a SMS informing me, that there is a special day.

And just for knowing about special days, there could be a web site, where ppl can have a look which days happened the past few days.

No need imo to waste your and other ppl money to inform them about events, a website would be a better idea.

Piper

I agree with Piper.

Though I received the SMS (in France, yeah!), I think a website would be sufficient. Why not using RSS syndication?

Certainly works with Orange France, but paying for this service takes me out of it.

Tips for free e-mail=>SMS with Orange France : the e-mail address they provide (phonenumber@orange.fr) allows you to receive SMS containing the subject of e-mail received, for free and according to your rules (mail from Radu, subject beginning with EL, etc). That is, if you send me a mail to "myaddress@orange.fr" I will instantly receive a SMS with the first 20 letters of the subject of your e-mail. Completely free (well ... you have to be a Orange France user of course) and can be usefull :-)

Thought some of you could find an interest in this. I used to have my server let me know instantly when a client had made an order on our website. Now I use it to know when someone leaves a message on my xDSL phone at home (my ISP sends an e-mail to a chosen address when I receive messages). That is cool ...

Question : Where should I post that kind of tips ?

Edit: Posted this in Off Topic / Science and Tech

Edited by Sildegaar

I have not received the SMS-test, tried it yesterday. Using Cincinnati Bell, USA...

Other than that, I can see the use of such a message, but not sure I'd go for it...

Stalag came up with the idea of sending SMS notifications when there is a special day.

I think that's an excellent idea, and we are looking to implement it.

This service will cost some money, say, 10-15 USD/year. So let me know if you are interested.

My test SMS came through in about 10 minutes. I would be unlikely to use the service, though, because I wouldn't by motivated to log in just because of a special day, unless I was already on a computer, and in that case, gossip's email notification is sufficeint.

Speaking of which- only a couple of hundred players are taking advantage of that gossip service. If you do want to get email notification at the start of a special day, at least until EL's SMS feature is available, type the following commands in game:

/gossip myemail youremail@whatever.com

then..

/gossip subscribe special

if you want special day notifications, or...

/gossip subscribe all

if you want her to email you your in-game gossip messages from other players too.

scaf

Edited by scafativ

I don't need it, but voted yes. It is a handy trick!

For some reason I recall a previous idea of having special days shown on the EL home page being being shot down. This sounds like a new awakening!

Definitely doesn't seem to give any players an edge anyway, after all, anyone who can drop what they're doing and log in just for a special day has already got an edge! :)

I dont like the idea or mixing up RL and EL life... i think that if ure interested in know whats happening in EL u should BE AT EL world, my vote is for no.

Also RL day has 4 EL days, and timezones diferences may cause may cause SMS sending while u sleep or work, and i would get pissed if i knew that im losing an awsome day like an acid rain day :D.

Speaking of which- only a couple of hundred players are taking advantage of that gossip service. If you do want to get email notification at the start of a special day, at least until EL's SMS feature is available, type the following commands in game:

then..

/gossip subscribe all

if you want her to email you your in-game gossip messages from other players too.

scaf

If you subscribe to the special day, for instance, how do you turn it off?

then..

/gossip subscribe all

scaf

This is explained in Gossip's online help. -.-

/gossip subscribe reset

Will unsubscribe you from everything. If you want to then sign up for just message notification by email, type:

/gossip subscribe messages

scaf

then..

/gossip subscribe all

scaf

This is explained in Gossip's online help. -.-

/gossip subscribe reset

Will unsubscribe you from everything. If you want to then sign up for just message notification by email, type:

/gossip subscribe messages

scaf

Thanks! I had seen under /gossip options the reset but I didn't get the use. Thanks for clearing that up.