Eternal Lands Official Forums
Roja

Fan art contest

Ok, it was very very VERY hard to pick a winner, so what I did was pick 4 winners from 4 categories I felt were the strongest out of the variety of different styles and media that were given:

- Most professional looking: Harlock

It looks like it came right out of a professional comic book!

- Best coloring & lighting: Earl

What can I say, this is excellent for being done in Paint! The color scheme is great, along with the shadows.

- Most humorous: Alyott

(this is for your fully colored one) I like the colorful atmosphere combined with the humor of being a n00b.

- Best traditional media: ScaryMary

Great pencil drawing & shading!

*Prizes will be given to you in the game by Radu, please contact him in game if you are a winner.

Thankyou all who participated! You all did a really great job and I felt I had to say something to everyone who entered that met the requirements:

Alyxyndyr - Nice pencil sketch. Could use a bit more detail on the armor and the boots though.

AnnaMaria -also nice sketch, try to work on the anatomy more by using reference images.

Aylott - Really great funny pics! For your second two I think if you just put some shadows on the ground it would enhance them more.

Beaver -Nice work on the face. Done on a napkin I take it? ;)

Bleedingsoul -This is really good, and probably looks the closest to one of the models in game! Try to color it in.

Choyun -Try to fix the lips up more, and also work on shading to give more tonal values to the image.

Earl -This is awesome for being done in paint!

Fabi -I like the draegoni head appearance, wish you would have used a shield and sword from EL though, would fit in better with the theme! :)

Foehammer -Nice sketch, try to use more shading and blending in of values to create more depth.

Gretha -you've got a nice talent for drawing! To make the face more realistic try to use photo references for practice.

Harlock -really great drawing! Wish there was a background to it, or maybe just a non-white background so the colors work better in it.

Helagur - this is pretty cool but the plants look a bit too smudgey. Try to define them more with strokes of the brush.

Helga -this is cool, finish it!!

Ianna -Beautiful portrait you did, great job!

Jarld -It's a really cool portrait, my only advice is to work on the anatomy a bit, the back part of the head near the neck looks like it should be filled in more, and also apply more contrast with the highlight/shadow values.

Kagen -it's a good drawing but I wish you didnt' hide the puma's face! :)

Kl4Uz -this is another one that needs to be finished, work at it!! ;)

Leahatwood -great watercolor piece, try to scan it better and i'll put up the revised one :) Other than that, the legs look a little too long for her.

lightkeeper -it's good, keep practicing drawing, and if you finish it i'll replace the old one!

scarr -how do you do pattern tilings in paint? o.o

ScaryMary -wonderful pencil drawing! Excellent job on shading, just work on that anatomy a bit more!

Scipiogod2 -good job for your efforts! You've got potential, just keep practicing :)

Sheesh -also great effort on your first 3d model! Just work on those textures some more.

Sistema -It's a really nice drawing and has a great atmosphere about it. I think you could work on your color combinations more, right now the background doesn't work too well with the colors you chose for your character.

Terena -Cool drawing, I think the colored one would work a lot better if you outlined it, basically using your pencil sketch and coloring it in but leaving the lines there. It just doesnt' have enough definition to stand on it's own.

Link to contest thread: http://www.eternal-lands.com/forum/index.p...=28650&st=0

Also, all submissions can be found here in the fan art gallery: http://eternalmusik.org/gallery/fanart/main.php?g2_itemId=14

Gratz to all the winners :D Harlock your drawing is fantastic!

As for Scarr he did his pic in Paint pixel by pixel...

Guess I'll have to try my luck in the next competition thing :D My scanner got broken, and making a picture in paint only sucks butt.

scarr -how do you do pattern tilings in paint? o.o

made a isometric square with selfmade pixel texture, then paste them togeter :D

Bleedingsoul -This is really good, and probably looks the closest to one of the models in game! Try to color it in.

I take that as a big compliment for being a newb at drawing. I'll try if I can color it in and if you want maybe I'll try to do some more. :D

-Blee

yes it was Jaxbot, there were a couple that were too scribbly and not enough time put in, and there was another one that looked nice but was super small..from rrm i believe ...if you enlarge it you can put it in the gallery!

Gratz to the winners. \o/

And maybe you post links to their pictures below winners names? So also people who didn't look over all 9 pages (full with great pictures I have to say) can see the winners right away. :P

I'll list the link here, if you want to use them:

Harlock: http://static.flickr.com/116/257339580_eab055c8c7_o.jpg

Earl: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/macdonnell/Earl5.png

Aylott: http://allmyprojects.com/images/aylott_noframe.jpg (that is the winning one, right?)

ScaryMary: http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/9266/el4dn3.jpg

And I think there should be another category for painting. :P

Nice drawings all. I hope there to be another one

Edited by MagpieLee

next time i'll announce categories before the contest starts...sorry, this was my first one and i did some mistakes, but I learned from it :P

next time i'll announce categories before the contest starts...sorry, this was my first one and i did some mistakes, but I learned from it :dry:

Yea, actually, somehow if you call it something like drawing your INGAME character, I somehow don't understand not getting a prize if I had the closest to the actual ingame look. :P

But I had fun with it anyway, you're probably the first ever to have been able to get me away for the computer for something like drawing. GG to you. ;)

-Blee

AnnaMaria -also nice sketch, try to work on the anatomy more by using reference images.

yes you are right. normally i can do a lot better, but since the little time i had i didn't really brought it up to my best. maybe next time :blink:

Gratz to all the winners!

Yea, actually, somehow if you call it something like drawing your INGAME character, I somehow don't understand not getting a prize if I had the closest to the actual ingame look. :blink:

I never said to copy in game screenshots :P

Yea, but its the only way a n00b like me would be able to get a result like that, if I can have a sample and then try to draw it on another paper.

And yes, I know there is a way to copy it exactly by putting the printed screenie on a glas table and put a light under it and then draw over the big lines on your own paper. But thats not how I did it, I put the screenie and my own paper next to eachother and just drawed as good as I could do it.

-Blee

This competition had quite a few good submissions.

I lift my hat to those men and women who work in paint, such a painstaking task and yet the result is really great.

I am truly astonished by Scarr's VOTD.

Gongratulations to the winners and remember that even if you didn't win you helped make EL a little more fun :)