Eternal Lands Official Forums
rmcin329

Music cutting out

My music cuts out about 5min or so into playing and wont' come back without logging out then back in. Thoughts?

AFAIK, it's a known issue and being worked on, but an easier workaround than closing out the client and logging back in is to open your Options and, on the Audio tab, uncheck both Enable Sound Effects and Enable Music and then recheck them again.

i've tried that and i still end up having to logout of the game to get it working. also my sound effects aren't initaliazing. it says that its an invalid operation

EDIT

i like what i've seen of the game so far BUT if you guys can't get the music and sound fixed then i'm not going to continue playing. For now i'm just going to watch and see if you guys find a solution over the next week or so. If you do then i'll continue playing and probably even donate to the game, if not then well its not worth playing

Edited by rmcin329

Well if you have the music downloaded already, toss it on Winamp and play. Winamp will play ogg files.

also my sound effects aren't initaliazing. it says that its an invalid operation
uhm... how long ago did you download EL? there were some problems with that fixed a while back... if it's still there, then it's far more likely that it's your computer than EL (and EL goes through OpenAL, not DirectX, so other games working is irrelevant)

and you're not missing much. the music is nice, but can get tiresome after a while, and you can stick it in winamp... the sound, well, that's just rain and thunder, which is nice, but hardly a high point of EL

i dowloaded it very recently like 2 days ago, and honestly i don't think its my comp as this is a 3,000 dollar comp, its your game trust me. alos its true theres more to games then music or sound, but its more then a little boring when you have none at all or worse bugged music and sound. in any case i've found a much better game anyways thats not bugged up like this one, so i probably won't be back on this one unless it drastically improves(haha yeah right)

Edited by rmcin329

honestly i don't think its my comp as this is a 3,000 dollar comp
money doesn't always get quality
its your game trust me
have you read the code for EL's sound system? I've worked on it, and resolved a number of bugs as it changed, 'invalid arguement' was indicative of some of them. One of the causes I couldn't resolve so easily was with OpenAL.

if you turn off sound and music, the entire sound system is shut down, it tells the operating system it's finished playing sound, etc. if the sound works on game start, but re-starting sound with those boxes doesn't, then OpenAL or some other part of your computer/operating system is highly likely to be the cause

alos its true theres more to games then music or sound, but its more then a little boring when you have none at all or worse bugged music and sound.
matter of opinion. I much rather have winamp going so I have a broad range of music, can jump to next track easily, etc, or often turn it off. as for sound? sure, it's nice, but can get tiresome too.
in any case i've found a much better game anyways thats not bugged up like this one,
true, it'll have different bugs, the same ones would be suspicious. seriously, though, how much do you pay for it? how great is the community? EL scores very well on price, and reasonably good on community, even if the sound and story aren't well developed
so i probably won't be back on this one unless it drastically improves(haha yeah right)
okay, bye.

not to say that EL won't get better. there have been testings of more sounds, for a lot more sound effects.

there's also a pretty good turn around on bug fixes, many are fixed within hours to days of being reported, which is pretty good since getting more information means testing and finding times to talk to the people who report them (time zones, etc)

Can you give a little more information as to when the music stops? Does it happen soon after map changes? Where are you when it happens? Events such as these tend not to be random.

Why don't you give the game a chance? Sure, there are still bugs to be worked out. This is not a multi-million dollar company working on a game to be sold at $50 a pop. This is a community of developers trying to make the best game that we can. As problems come up, they get fixed in their due time since most of us have real jobs outside of EL to actually pay the bills.

If you are so impatient, I seriously doubt you would have donated cash in the first place. EL has a vibrant community and the developers listens to input from the players in order to make the game better (although not every suggestion can be considered). So, if you are so bothered by a little music glitch, feel free to give your money away to some company that does not give a rat's *** what you think.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.