Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Salah al-Din

Guilds and clans: same thing, different word?

Guest Salah al-Din

Are the words guild and clan interchangeable around here or is there some difference?

There are dumber questions I wanted to ask but I figured I'd test the water with this one. :P

Edited by Salah al-Din

Guild and clan are interchangeable to me. Think back to them old days, right? "Clan" was the word used for a group of folk who looked out for each other.

Clan: A united group of relatives, or families, claiming a common ancestor and having the same surname.

Guild: An association of artisans or merchants, formed for mutual aid, etc.

Clan = relatives/family

Guild = group of people (related or not) that help eachother

Personally, I never understood why this forum is titled Guilds and Clans. Unless clans is used as an RP aspect. I suppose you could form a guild and come up with some role play theme that y'all are related and such.

Guest Salah al-Din

Gamers usually use the word clan, but in RPGs it's called Guild, to fit into the medieval, fantasy world.

Right, kl4Uz, I've always known that to be the case. Good point.

The first multi-player online game I ever played was Quake, and soon after it was released teams became known as clans. If ever a Quake (and QII, QIII) organization used the word guild they would have been ridiculed out of existence by psychotic first-person shooter vigilantes fueled by *cheeseburgers and beer. Self-respecting FPS players would rather die than be associated with whiney, emotional role-players.

Thanks for the clarifications, everyone.

*Meat and liquor consumption is required to play multiplayer FPS games. Next time you're at the game store read the fine print on a FPS game box, if you doubt it.

^ mmmm beer, I used to play fps all the time (and wasn't bad) without drinking much....

Or am I just sad because of it??

anyways kl4Uz was right, I reckon they are completely interchangable, and guild is used more in rpgs for role-playing purposes, and clan is used elsewhere because it has only 4 letters, and is easier to say... :blink:

just a final word.

There aren't just clans and guilds out there.

There are also fan / social clubs. Like the NUFC.

Also groupies, gatherings, fellowships etc :P

Edited by MagpieLee

just wanted to add something: to me guilds and clans are the same cuz in EL guilds like MkvL and KBD and others pretty much treat each other like family. and as celtic defined, clan means family. :icon13::icon13: