Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

Special effects

What would be extra helpful is if you could add std::cout << "Idling." << std::endl; into eye_candy_wrapper.cpp just after the second return in ec_idle (around line 140). Then let me know if it prints that while you're in your console mode when the effects are occurring.

With this addition, the console spews "Idling.' constantly.

if (ec::get_error_status())
return;

std::cout << "Idling." << std::endl;

//  GLfloat rot_matrix[16];

Jamincollins:

Yes, it would. The key is whether it prints constantly while you're in console mode at the time when effects are being accumulated but not run.

Ttilanhil: Yes, there's no effect for that.

Ttlanhil (2): Aaargh, not another NaN! I thought we just fixed that? What were you doing when this happened?

No clue what this was?

SelfMagicEffect (0x880f990) created.

Ed: Checked in an update so that SelfMagicEffect also lists what specific self magic effect was used.

Edited by KarenRei

err, uhm, whoops... guess I probably cast shield again (it's like a habit)

anyway, cvs-up-ed again

Ah, figured it out. :) I was checking to see if p.velocity was too extreme and fixing it if it was... *before* I normalized it to the magnitude of the vector that was throwing it off in the first place :D Fixed.

Known open bugs:

* Ttlanhil's crazy teleporter rendering (anybody else?)

* Huge point particles for some people, not others (incl. me)

* One report of delayed harvesting effects; reporter is investigating.

Am I missing anything?

I am still getting off-centre self-magic effects (eg shield, restore), more so than they used to be. CVS build from 5 hrs ago.

S.

I'm terribly sorry if these were already reported, but:

1) from time to time i get this type of flickering rectangular effect. It disapears after a couple of seconds, after you move the camera or after redrawing the EL window.

2) while trying to set the forest of the fall on fire i felt under the tree. It happened more then once and in many different places (this is probably an old bug which is not connected with the eye candy though).

Thanks for the additions. Gotta get these ironed out, and these are ones I can actually work on (please, somebody who has oversized effects when point particles are on: volunteer to help me test!!!). But first:

* Bag effect: others want to weigh in? I kinda like it, but that's to be expected, as I designed it. :huh: The effect was designed to be similar size to the actual bag.

* Has anyone else seen the rectangular artifact? I haven't.

Kwas: what does "felt under a tree" mean? The rectangle looks like a video card artifact, but that doesn't mean it can't be worked around. It just means that it'd be a big pain to work out without being able to reproduce it on my side, like Ttlanhil's green teleporters has been. Does it move? Does it change in size or transparency? Do you have point particles on or off? Does it only happen with fires? If not, where else have you seen it?

Spleenfeeder: "aargh" :) Back, is it? Ok, I'll have another look at it tonight. It's the bug that won't die. Or, more appropriately, the bug that dies and then reincarnates itself regularly. Anyone with a few hundred essences of varying types + mana pots want to help me with this one tonight? :( Hopefully it wouldn't take that many, but just in case...

Edited by KarenRei

Kwas: what does "felt under a tree" mean?

I can walk into a tile where a tree is and then the actor disappears and the camera "falls down" as if the actor was 2m under the surface.

The rectangle looks like a video card artifact, but that doesn't mean it can't be worked around. It just means that it'd be a big pain to work out without being able to reproduce it on my side, like Ttlanhil's green teleporters has been. Does it move? Does it change in size or transparency? Do you have point particles on or off? Does it only happen with fires? If not, where else have you seen it?

After reboot i can't reproduce it myself (well it happend once and lasted only for a couple of sec). It doesn't move, it just appears in different sizes and colours for a very short period of time. It doesn't change it's size, nor it's transparency. It happend when point particles were on. I've seen it once with heal spell i think (the rectangles were green then).

I agree that it's probably my video card's fault (ATI Radeon 9600SE). Everyone knows EL doesn't like ATI :) Also sometimes my client crashes on startup showing a message about problems with atioglxx.dll I've found a way around that though - after typing the password i have to minimalize the window, wait for a moment and maximalize. Seems like a problem with graphics initialization.

Oh, I also have problems with flickering shadows, but that's a different (and old) story :(

<ED> Trying to make my english look less horrible :huh:

Edited by Kwas

I can walk into a tile where a tree is and then the actor disappears and the camera "falls down" as if the actor was 2m under the surface.

Ah, that'd be a map bug. Report it in the maps forum. I can actually tell you how this one happened: maps use a series of tiles to indicate the height of the square. Black, minimum height, is "unwalkable", but go just one color lighter, and instead of being unwalkable, it's just "very low" in the ground.

If the squares are occasional and minor, and if you're using an ATI (which is known to have problems), I'll mark this one as low priority. One possible workaround is, whatever point particles mode you have on right now, try toggling it. Heck, if that does the trick, I could simply disable the occasional-square-producing mode for ATIs. Let me know if it works.

Thanks for reporting. :huh: Only through people like you can bugs that everyone doesn't run into be found.

Bag drop effect:

Well I didn't just mean from my own point of view, sure it doesn't look very bad but I can see how new players will say when they kill their first rabbit "Huh wtf why did the rabbit explode?". Isn't it better to just have the effect when picking up the bag, not when puting it down? It would look kind of wierd in storages too if ppl put down "bombs" around the ppl.

I just tried the F9 and the new particles there look really good. Also I have seen the particles in work at the PV fountain, looks pretty oki.

Update:

Walking around and checking some maps out... I just found a map teleporter, it looks "good" but it has many rectangles in it, would look much better if it was only the particles flying around.

Edited by Beaverhunter

Hmm, that's a bug. With as high of a FPS as you have, it should be high level of detail. That's minimal level of detail you're seing; eye candy thinks your system is lagged in some way or another, and is simplifying the effect for you. I bet you're seeing all effects at minimum level of detail, then. Gotta figure out why :D

Pull up eye_candy_wrapper.cpp. Near the end of ec_idle -- say, just after you set eye_candy.framerate -- try putting std::cout << "Framerate: " << eye_candy.framerate << ": " << eye_candy.time_diff << std::endl;

Pull up eye_candy/eye_candy.cpp. In EyeCandy::idle(), on the line just after change_LOD2 = 10, put std::cout << "New LOD: " << change_LOD << " (" << particles.size() << ") / " << change_LOD2 << " (" << framerate << ")" << std::endl;

Let me know what output you get.

Hmm, wait, can you view standard out? You're a windows user, aren't you? ;) If you can't view standard out, you'll need to use log_warning() for each of those and then check your EL logs (the function takes a std::string). If you don't know how to do that, and you can't view stdout, let me know and I'll do it for you.

Edited by KarenRei

Karen, message me in game, I will be your essie burning buddy ;)

Another thing I have been noticing a little in game is I will enter certain areas (IP beam, pv sto, few other places) and my cpu will soar, I will leave the area, my cpu will still be sky kigh, even in areas with not much there, and will only settle once I change maps.

Can anyone else attest to this happening?

S.

Hmm, that's a bug. With as high of a FPS as you have, it should be high level of detail. That's minimal level of detail you're seing; eye candy thinks your system is lagged in some way or another, and is simplifying the effect for you. I bet you're seeing all effects at minimum level of detail, then. Gotta figure out why :icon13:

Pull up eye_candy_wrapper.cpp. Near the end of ec_idle -- say, just after you set eye_candy.framerate -- try putting std::cout << "Framerate: " << eye_candy.framerate << ": " << eye_candy.time_diff << std::endl;

Pull up eye_candy/eye_candy.cpp. In EyeCandy::idle(), on the line just after change_LOD2 = 10, put std::cout << "New LOD: " << change_LOD << " (" << particles.size() << ") / " << change_LOD2 << " (" << framerate << ")" << std::endl;

Let me know what output you get.

Hmm, wait, can you view standard out? You're a windows user, aren't you? :o If you can't view standard out, you'll need to use log_warning() for each of those and then check your EL logs (the function takes a std::string). If you don't know how to do that, and you can't view stdout, let me know and I'll do it for you.

About the high FPS: Yes, it's quite high... but actually it's limited too;D I run in VSync at 75hz, so FPS doesn't go over 75-76.

Hmm well oki, I'll test this... If I can get the client to compile again;D Just updated ELC and got this:

1>tile_map.c
1>.\tile_map.c(376) : error C2143: syntax error : missing ';' before 'type'
1>.\tile_map.c(387) : error C2065: 'fv' : undeclared identifier
1>.\tile_map.c(388) : error C2109: subscript requires array or pointer type
1>.\tile_map.c(390) : error C2109: subscript requires array or pointer type
1>.\tile_map.c(392) : error C2109: subscript requires array or pointer type
1>.\tile_map.c(394) : error C2109: subscript requires array or pointer type
1>.\tile_map.c(396) : error C2109: subscript requires array or pointer type
1>.\tile_map.c(398) : error C2109: subscript requires array or pointer type
1>.\tile_map.c(400) : error C2109: subscript requires array or pointer type
1>.\tile_map.c(402) : error C2109: subscript requires array or pointer type
1>.\tile_map.c(404) : error C2109: subscript requires array or pointer type
1>.\tile_map.c(406) : error C2109: subscript requires array or pointer type

Edited by Beaverhunter

Beaverhunter:

Your silly compiler is compiling debugging code that's inside an #if 0, and being crazy-strict about it. Fix checked in.

Aye, that's my compiler allright;D

Hmm I have tried what you said before but yes I'm having some trouble getting proper output of it. First off I can't get log_warning to work in eye_candy_wrapper because eye_candy.h isn't included or something like that, I tried to do that though with no difference. The other works but as I coded it I only get output like:

[19:20:10] WARNING:

Last message repeated 5128 times

[19:22:12] WARNING: ew Lod:

Last message repeated 26 times

[19:22:13] WARNING: w Lod:

Last message repeated 1 time

[19:22:14] WARNING: Lod:

[19:22:14] WARNING: Lod:

Last message repeated 2 times

[19:22:14] WARNING: d:

[19:22:14] WARNING: :

[19:22:14] WARNING:

Last message repeated 2476 times

[19:23:09] update_position error: Invalid Value

[19:23:09] WARNING:

I find it kind of weird even if I have done it wrong... that the warning output misses a few chars then and then.

So basicly your gonna have to help me on how to get the proper numbers into the error_log =/ Or maybe displayed in real time in the ELC?

Side stuff:

1. This might not be eye_candy's fault but can someone come to Zirakinbar and have a go around Heavybeard and the teleporter to the south including the "waterfall"? When I turn the camera I get HEAVY flickering, it's like if lightning strikes everytime I change camera angle. Also at some angles the waterfall seems to partly dissappear. I have tried to deactivate all kinds of stuff in the options with not much difference.

2. Who is incharge of ANTI_ALIAS ? Is it considered experimental so far? I tried it and I get "wireframes" on Trees and bolded lines around the skillbars and health/mana/foodbars. It's cannot be for release at current state.

Update: I only get "wireframes" is Anti Alias + 3D Alpha Blending is turned on at same time, turning any of them off takes away the wireframe.

3. When enabling Frame Buffer.. which says in description it only affects Reflection... I get less detail on shadows. Trees aren't letting light through the leaves. With it disabled I get better shadows and the light comes through and makes a silluette of leaves aswell.

4. Is there a maximum particle count? When I mess around with F9 Fires I after some time don't get more than a glowing orb on the ground, which maybe very seldom makes a particle come up from it.

Edited by Beaverhunter

* Bag effect: others want to weigh in? I kinda like it, but that's to be expected, as I designed it. :blush: The effect was designed to be similar size to the actual bag.

I prefer the new bag effect as it means that submerged bags (those completely under the terrain) can be dropped and picked up without anyone around knowing. Yes, I'm aware this is client side only and could be abused.

Yes, in eye_candy_wrapper, log_warning wouldn't work. You'd need to use EL's log_error(char*) function.

Flickering: I've noticed that too in places. My first suspicion was that it was introduced by my fix for the shadow mapping crash, but it happens with shadow mapping off. Part of the reason that I didn't get much done last night was that I was messing around with that, trying to figure out where it comes from, to no success. Perhaps someone could figure out what version it was introduced in?

Frame buffer: I could take a look at that for you; since I've dealt with shadow mapping recently, I may be able to help.