Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

Special effects

I have been chatting with Kindar and guildmates about the various effects. We mostly agree that similar spells should have similar effects. As Awn (and others) suggested, perhaps my restoration spell should be moved to a teleportation or invasion beaming catagory. I suggest that the current shield spell (spiralling single particle stream) be moved to the regular heal, and the current heal (raining particle ring) be moved to the restoration effect. In this way, the "heal" type effects remain somewhat similar, with restoration being more complex. Remote heal could be based on the spiralling single particle stream, and a new shield effect would be needed. What does everyone think (especially Kindar since we are moving his effects around)?

Sounds really good for me, i agree with u. But i like to see current shield effect spell on restoration spell :)

Edited by brein

shieldjz8.jpg

Would something like this be possible? (The girl's magic shield)

Normally it has some details on it, but the pic is low quality so it's just the basic shield structure.

If possible it would be cool to have it start as a pole in front of you, and stretch out arround you (so what you see on the pic would be halfway)

Doesn't matter how, doesn't have to look like that. Just a little idea.

Great effects so far guyz :)

I really like it

please post screenshots :P

The screenshot of restore isn't that good.

There's several of those rings moving from the floor up to your head. :)

restoremc3.th.png

Here's shield:

shieldbs8.th.png

I really like those effects \o/ Keep up the good work!

Edited by Gampa

Would something like this be possible? (The girl's magic shield)

That was similar to my original idea. I was thinking about having a curved shield wall buildup infront of (or entirely around) the actor. I think an encompassing effect is better since the spell does protect you from all directions.

The screenshot of restore isn't that good.

Better than my non-existent screenshots. :) Yeah, it is tough to catch, but I appreciate the effort.

BTW, the shield spell effect should not last more than a few seconds. That buff is not sent to the other actors, like the invisbility is, so it should be only a cast effect.

It's very hard to capture the effect on a screen shot, really, the ring on screenie doesn't look like anything, but in game, when casted it looks really cool and effective.

It's very hard to capture the effect on a screen shot, really, the ring on screenie doesn't look like anything, but in game, when casted it looks really cool and effective.

Agreed. Unless someone can capture a video of them, the screenshots will not do justice.

Agreed. Unless someone can capture a video of them, the screenshots will not do justice.

... or gif. And maybe try do some aura/circle under feet and kinkes around. Something like this:

magianh1.jpg

Without arrows of course.

BTW, the shield spell effect should not last more than a few seconds. That buff is not sent to the other actors, like the invisbility is, so it should be only a cast effect.

Seeing as how the shield spell is frequently used to level magic, I agree that it should be short...no longer than the enforced 2 seconds between spells. I think all effects should be limited to two seconds.

brein, for what spell are you making a suggestion?

I am going to look into texture mapping on the effects. An alpha'd texture map on a sphere, if done right, could give a cool energy/lightning effect around an actor. Mapped onto my rings might be pretty cool also.

I'm thinking about some long working spell like shield or magic immunity, or new spells like "fast walk" (+20% to speed) etc.

I'm thinking about some long working spell like shield or magic immunity, or new spells like "fast walk" (+20% to speed) etc.

Please don't post suggestions for spells here! This is purely for development discussion and testing feedback.

Your image is nice and the effect could be used for spells such as harm or mana drain (different colours perhaps).

I have noticed in the latest CVS that these effects are 'queued' if you're in Console mode. So if i'm in console and someone casts a spell and sticks around, I will see the effect upon closing the console. Is this intended?

Please don't post suggestions for spells here! This is purely for development discussion and testing feedback.

Your image is nice and the effect could be used for spells such as harm or mana drain (different colours perhaps).

I have noticed in the latest CVS that these effects are 'queued' if you're in Console mode. So if i'm in console and someone casts a spell and sticks around, I will see the effect upon closing the console. Is this intended?

Thx and sry with this sugestin for magic i just wanna show about what style magic i talk. PS. Sry for this little off top too.

Edited by brein

I suggest that the current shield spell (spiralling single particle stream) be moved to the regular heal, and the current heal (raining particle ring) be moved to the restoration effect. In this way, the "heal" type effects remain somewhat similar, with restoration being more complex. Remote heal could be based on the spiralling single particle stream, and a new shield effect would be needed. What does everyone think (especially Kindar since we are moving his effects around)?

I have no problems with moving the effects :) I like my heal effect, but the spiral effect.. is just the spiral effect, not really a shield. :) I can't work on them right now, so if you want to change, go ahead.

My suggestion:

1. move restoration -> tele to portals/to range

2. move heal->restoration

3. move shield -> heal (with color change)

4. use 'shield' for remote heal, caster gets the original shield effect, target get the effect upside down (so it seems that the magic energy flows from caster to target, just an idea)

As listed above, this is a bug. Definitely not intended.

Awn/Drakos7 will be joining my "team" for getting some of the bugs and interface issues worked out, so I will have some more time to work on the effects (and other bugs).

4. use 'shield' for remote heal, caster gets the original shield effect, target get the effect upside down (so it seems that the magic energy flows from caster to target, just an idea)

LOL. That was pretty much what I was thinking too. However, I think the recipient should get a normal heal (with new colors, maybe green since that is the color of a full health bar(alt+h)) and the caster should be inverted blue, kinda like your mana is being drained.

Awn/Drakos7 will be joining my "team" for getting some of the bugs and interface issues worked out, so I will have some more time to work on the effects (and other bugs).

LOL. That was pretty much what I was thinking too. However, I think the recipient should get a normal heal (with new colors, maybe green since that is the color of a full health bar(alt+h)) and the caster should be inverted blue, kinda like your mana is being drained.

Even better idea!!!!

As for bugs, could you guys check what happens if the actor get's removed while the effect renders, I have a feeling this might crash the client :)

I can make videos, and I really wish to see the effects. Problem is I don't know how to get them in-game. (I just download it from Berlios and put it in main EL folder?)

Problem is I don't know how to get them in-game. (I just download it from Berlios and put it in main EL folder?)

This is not the place for learning how to use CVS. Search the forums please.

Well I see nobody else offering. Since it seems people would like to see a video, maybe somebody could help him privately instead of yelling at him.

Well I see nobody else offering. Since it seems people would like to see a video, maybe somebody could help him privately instead of yelling at him.
yelling? I don't see that. and walking someone through compiling a client is not that simple. a client made available for download can work, but unless it comes in an installer with all the needed files (which there can be several of), it can just cause a lot of difficulties.

I should know, I've been releasing test clients for a long time. and yes, review builds have the spell effects, and a new update of them all is about due (once it's up, people should be able to see spell effects with my review build)

That's not yelling ^^

He's right, I can probably find out somewhere else too.

Thanks for supporting me here though :) I'll go look for some place where I can learn about it.

I worked longly but at least i did video with spells :) In the video you can see three spells: restoration, heal and shield. You can download it from here:

http://www.brein.ovh.org/

Click "eternal lands.wmv" in up of course :blush:

PS. I saw one weird thing, when i used restoration with full hp animation doesn't work.

Edited by brein

I worked longly but at least i did video with spells :) In the video you can see three spells: restoration, heal and shield. You can download it from here:

Thanks for making this! Of course, it is just a preview. =)

Thanks for making this! Of course, it is just a preview. =)

Np. Restoration look really good, but i think shield spell should be much slower and heal spell should be little slower too.

PS. I have one question: This spell effect still exist? Yes this effect exist in spell remote heal :wub:

elscreen001.jpg

And maybe some1 can do some list of all spells with animation?

Edited by brein

Is it alright to make suggestions for animations here, even if we can't actually make them ourselves? If so, I had an idea for the shield spell, since the suggested shufflings would leave it without animation. A semi-translucent bubble which expands out from the centre of the player until it completely emcompasses them, then dissipates. Could change the colour of the bubble for the different shielding type spells. Would that be hard to do? Thanks for listening.