Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entris

Exploring for secrets.

Some times i walk around just to explore maps and try to find secrets by clicking diffrent items every now and then and started to think about the risks about exploring.

Some maps has monsters in them so that is a risk you have to deal with if you want to explore it, you can run from them or you can wear the MM cape or maby you have the MM perk and be safe that way but what if we got some more risks into it? Edit: Using the MM cape or having the MM perk is an easy way to avoid the dangers on the map where monsters roam when you want to explore it for secrets.

My suggestion would be to make it a bit more risky for all the secret hunters in EL by adding a little danger to it.

My thoughts where to put a risk to the exploring for secrets where for example you have to click the green book to get to the secret but if you click the blue book next to it or on the other side of the room you would get one of these two things

1: You click the book and get teleported to another map.

This can be a random map like the harvest TPs we had before that could send you to Naralik or White Stone or a set map for that specific item that someone clicked on.

I don't know if it should send you to a PK map, might be possible to make the TP send you to a similar map that you are on when you click the TP item, that way they are dealing with the same risk as they where willing to take when they started to explore the map they where on.

2: You recive damage from the item you clicked on.

The item you clicked on fell down and hit you in the head/foot and where you recive a sertain amount of damage depending on where it hit you maby 10-20 damage or something?

This could be spread out so ppl would be able to get a TP/damage from clicking something but that doesn't mean that there is a secret at the same place, it can just be a trap for curious ppl thats snooping around :P

Edit: If it's possible to do maby the traps could move between diffrent items close by so ppl wouldn't be able to learn about the traps?

My first thought where to make a monster spawn if you click the wrong item as a suggestion for #2 but that would make it to easy for ppl to stand there and train on them so used this option of damage by falling items instead.

So what do you think, would it be cool or would it be cruel?

Edited by Entris

Some maps has monsters in them so that is a risk you have to deal with if you want to explore it, you can run from them or you can wear the MM cape or maby you have the MM perk and be safe that way but what if we got some more risks into it?

I suggest:

- More monsters that ignore mm

- Chance that monster spawns as enraged monster that ignore mm and defense level or monster may become enraged if it is attacked :P

- Removing mm cloak

- Map changing monsters :P

- More damage and poison areas

- Areas that mm perk doesn't work in (unmarked of course) :D

Edited by ville-v

:P I don't agree removing the mm cloak. :P Nice Idea entris on getting damage for clicking wrong item. :D Let's hope it could be added Edited by ELVARG

I suggest:

- More monsters that ignore mm

- Chance that monster spawns as enraged monster that ignore mm and defense level or monster may become enraged if it is attacked

- Removing mm cloak

- Map changing monsters

- More (unmarked) damage and poison areas

- Areas that mm perk doesn't work it

Thats put out of it's context, i'm talking about making exploring after secrets a bit more risky not the maps in general but you are free to start another topic about that in the suggestion forums and talk about that there.

I very much like Entris' original idea.

There actually are a few places like that :P

But yes, I would totally enjoy seeing a lot more. However it would have to be restricted a bit, the basic newbie maps would have to be off limits, such as IP, it's insides, and maybe even Desert Pines and White Stone. But in my opinion, if you are experienced enough to get off of these maps and beyond, you are ready for some adventure. Especially if you are clicking away at everything looking for excitement :D

However it would have to be restricted a bit, the basic newbie maps would have to be off limits, such as IP, it's insides, and maybe even Desert Pines and White Stone. But in my opinion, if you are experienced enough to get off of these maps and beyond, you are ready for some adventure. Especially if you are clicking away at everything looking for excitement

Yes of course it shouldn't aply to the basic newbie maps, forgot to put that in *doh* thx for reminding me Aislinn :P

Good ideas, but also add somthing like "When taking the book off the shielf, the bookshielf fell over causing 38 damage"

Thats something similar i had in mind, the book fell down or the shelf conflicting diffrent damage points on the explorer, not sure about how much the damage should be delt to the explorer tho, if it's to high ppl would be like "wtf is this this is sooo lame..." so i though around 10-20 or something would be suficiant but thats debatable. :D

Edited by Entris

no more monsters ignoring MM.. because this way travelling would be too hard.. i tried walking from iscalrith to trassian - 3/4 times i died ;o by the same chim

maybe more areas that have harder monsters (fluff/chim) instead of little goblins

or VERY HARD heat/cold damage maps

dunno it just sounds stupid, dying from a falling book & stuff

Also it wouldn't take people long to realize that these unexpected events, such as being teleported away, getting damage, etc (we'll have to think of other things too) would indicate that they are close to discovering a secret. That also leads to more excitement and participation.

dunno it just sounds stupid, dying from a falling book & stuff

You wouldn't actually die from it, well maby if you can't heal yourself and keep getting traps set off, i'm talking about a damage for maby 10-20MPs depending on where the object you pushed hit you.

Also it wouldn't take people long to realize that these unexpected events, such as being teleported away, getting damage, etc (we'll have to think of other things too) would indicate that they are close to discovering a secret. That also leads to more excitement and participation.

If i can think about something more i'll put that in or if someone else has a good idea for "exploring events" put it in here.

It doesn't have to be a secret close to you just becaus you get a TP or damage from clicking something, it can be a trap for curious ppl that are snooping around too so not only places with secrets close to them would have this happen to you.

Edited by Entris

Explored Irillion much? ;)

There are a fair few nasty surprises there already (and believe me I've walked into most of them XD). This is a nice idea, and it would spice up exploring a bit, however, there aren't really that many explorers in game and this is likely to discourage the ones that do start exploring.

Further, many of the secrets ingame are nothing more than pretty to look at. Some are good harvesting/bagmixing spots, but for the most part, there's no reward for finding them other than being able to say you found it. If perhaps there were something to be gained by finding these secrets, people would be more willing to risk random events like these.

Anyway, I like the idea, I just think we need to balance it out with rewards too. Maybe even just with positive events: 'You pull on the book, and it appears to be a copy of 'Cyclops fighting for n00bs'', add one cyclops fighting book to inventory. ;)

I love the idea of having traps while exploring. It reminds me of D&D. But I agree with Terena that there would have to be some kind of reward for finding these secrets areas. As you said maybe a book or something, but possibly even something such as a NPC that gives you rewarding quests.

As Terena said, the number of explorers is already pretty limited. I'm not sure this would increase it in any way. And existing secrets are sometimes already quite deadly when you find them (I remember very well a nice part of The Meep where I met two creatures or a bot named Kathkusa), or located in pk maps, which gives a nice adrenaline rush when you look for them.

So the idea might be nice, but I agree the negative effect should be limited, especially as some mid-level players are explorers and it's quite annoying to be suddenly killed while enjoying an exploring session.

On the positive side, I was wondering if some hints (rather than secrets) could be hidden too. I mean for example, you click a book in a bookshelf in naralik, and it gives you a hint as to a secret located elsewhere. Would be a bit like the quest hints. What do you think ?

Explored Irillion much? :ph34r:

There are a fair few nasty surprises there already (and believe me I've walked into most of them XD).

I've just started to really take the time to explore there, and some of them are quite deadly. I made the mistake of being armed and well supplied for my adventure. I say mistake because I lost a few expensive (to me) items.

I'm currently planning my next death tour of Irilion. :) The thrill of clicking the wrong item or going down the wrong mine shaft makes it fun. The payoff is finding something not many people know about.

My first thought where to make a monster spawn if you click the wrong item as a suggestion for #2 but that would make it to easy for ppl to stand there and train on them so used this option of damage by falling items instead.

give them really high p/c, practically no a/d, and low level drops :)

give them really high p/c, practically no a/d, and low level drops

lol that wouldn't help much, there would always be someone standing there making it spawn all the time.

I haven't been on Irilion much just started to explore some of it so it sounds like there is a few surprices for me there :blink:

If the Devs would allow us to maby get something from our exploring thats up to them, but if that would happen it would be too easy to abuse it, 1 finds a book tells the next and so on all of a sudden everyone has it so not so good.

Maby get some books that you can raed a story in, i know i heard something of books with similar things in can't remeber where i saw it tho :) , so when you click a book you might get a story to read.

Some books when you click them you might get a EL history lesson or hear about myths of the place you are in (continent, map, house) and others you might get some tips about the skill related things, tactics in fights and so on.

Edited by Entris