Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Darwin2M

Armor vs Defense vs Damage vs etc.

I expect this has been discussed before so I apologize in advance; I tried searching the forums but couldn't find what I was looking for.

Could someone please point me to information or help enlighten me what the differences are between armor, defense, damage, etc.

Some armors say it increases or decreases defense, some offer to absorb damage, some increase armor. So how does one decide or figure out how these affect your fighting? I can make an educated guess about how something that changes your defense affects your ability to avoid being hit. But how does armor relate to this? Absorbing damage I assume reduces the damage only when you are hit - so not important if you can avoid being hit but very important if you get hit often.

Hits - normal hits, critical to hit, critical to damage?

Sorry for such basic questions but I'm really trying to understand how the system works to maximize my training time and benefits! :P

TIA

i think def makes it so that u block more hits

and armor just reduce the damage

critical hits are more like lucky hits

I just wanna add, that if some1 is after reset and has big a/d, and pretty low p/c, its very smart to use at least iron pl8 set+moon med for train (or uni med if u slay monster/player 2 much).

Better armor often( almost always) makes u "block" more, so u get better(more) def exp, can stay longer on spawn, and have better comfort on training.

ty 4 ur attention

eMPi

Edited by masterpiter

- more accuracy means more chances to hit your opponent;

- critical to hit means it bypasses all the enemy defense rolls (for example, a level 5 player has no chance to hit a level 100 player, but if he has a critical to hit, there is a chance he will hit sometimes);

- critical to damage means it bypasses all the armor and does a full damage.

hmm..these player answers quite often make you even more confused. Without knowing server code its more like "I think"-answers..

About armour at least official TUTORIAL NPC has told that armour never helps in getting def xp(avoiding hit totally,only can avoid damage)..It only absorbs damage so u need less healing.Actually most armours have negative def (iron plate -2) so it makes u get a bit less def xp? With steel -1 and titanium no def disadvantage.

So at least I have understood that its reaction(from coordination(=potion) or instinct(=wildness potion) and defence skill and defence attribute (for example shield +7,unicorn +4) which result in avoiding of hit=u get the xp.

Criticals have always been bit "secret"...nowhere told exactly. But I assume that for example negative critical to damage gives less of natural might damage. Dunno if it has anything to do with armour. So staff has low damage even if your might is high but sword increases your might damage. And then attck skill even more...so its quite a combination of so many attributes that even revealing of server code wouldnt make it easy to say how should be equipped with different opponents to get best advantage.

Confused?..dont worry..so am I..:o

Glad to know that I'm not the only one out there scratching their head. The descriptions have generally supported what I believe or think might be true. But yeah, it would be nice to have a more mathematical explanation of the interplay between the variables. :o Thanks to all who've given input - and feel free to further clarify if you have more to add.

- critical to hit means it bypasses all the enemy defense rolls (for example, a level 5 player has no chance to hit a level 100 player, but if he has a critical to hit, there is a chance he will hit sometimes);

This is what Entropy told us in an old post, i think. :rolleyes:

Since we cant know exactly without the server code or an explanation of how the damage system on combat works, we can just guess how the damage is calculated.

My personal guess is that the range of damage is based on your matter (based on p/c) and the damage attribute of the weapon. And the higher your attack skill, the higher is the chances of your hit inflicts near the maximum allowed by your weapon and p/c. This is still calculated on critical hits, its just ignore opponents defense to hit.

Then if you hitted, that damage calculated above would be subtracted by oponent's thoughness and armor bonus + defense/10... Critical to damage hits would ignore this calculation.

To hit, as ratman said above is, calculated by ((attack skill of the attacker + dexteritity + accuracy + random chance) - (defense skill of defender + reaction + random chance)).

Of course, what i said above is completly unofficial and can be completly wrong... its just the way i think the combat system works in EL.

This is what Entropy told us in an old post, i think. :)

:rolleyes:

About armour at least official TUTORIAL NPC has told that armour never helps in getting def xp(avoiding hit totally,only can avoid damage)..It only absorbs damage so u need less healing.Actually most armours have negative def (iron plate -2) so it makes u get a bit less def xp? With steel -1 and titanium no def disadvantage.

So at least I have understood that its reaction(from coordination(=potion) or instinct(=wildness potion) and defence skill and defence attribute (for example shield +7,unicorn +4) which result in avoiding of hit=u get the xp.

But if you armor absords damage enough that you would get 0 damage (like it often does), you will get defense exp like it was dodge :rolleyes:

But if you armor absords damage enough that you would get 0 damage (like it often does), you will get defense exp like it was dodge :rolleyes:

Not really... i tried it with my alt and borrowed a steel set. Although it absorbed all the damage, i got 0 def xp events (gargs at 4/4 a/d) so if the armor absorbs the damage, you don't get def events (atleast that's what i noticed)

Nook1e

But if you armor absords damage enough that you would get 0 damage (like it often does), you will get defense exp like it was dodge :)

Not really... i tried it with my alt and borrowed a steel set. Although it absorbed all the damage, i got 0 def xp events (gargs at 4/4 a/d) so if the armor absorbs the damage, you don't get def events (atleast that's what i noticed)

Nook1e

Finally someone designing an experiment instead of just regurgitating what they heard somewhere. Great experiment. That clears things up a lot. Well done.

Nook1e

Right..thats how I also have understood it. When fighting with fluufyy using steel armour I dont much at all get damage sometimes. But I can clearly see that sometimes when my taken hit doesnt make damage it also doesnt give def xp...so It has been absorbed by armour or toughness.

Well..about that toughness...its like natural armour which means same about def xp as armour equipment. The only thing which is unclear for me is the amount of toughness armour vs. equipment armour point.

So only totally avoided hit gives xp which randomized from defence skill and reaction...and defence attribute...which also is bit unclear when compared to defence skill. For examlple there is 2 potions for defence...Potion of defence increases defence skill (+5) and Potion of Evasion gives +10 to defence.

All in all..hell complicated but also unbelievable well balanced implementation..or whatever..:wub:

For examlple there is 2 potions for defence...Potion of defence increases defence skill (+5) and Potion of Evasion gives +10 to defence.

Potion of Evasion gives +10 to evasion, not to defence.

For examlple there is 2 potions for defence...Potion of defence increases defence skill (+5) and Potion of Evasion gives +10 to defence.

Potion of Evasion gives +10 to evasion, not to defence.

Yes..thats how its told. But when using it #arm will have +10 in defence.#arm dont talk anything about any "evasion" atribute ..yet

...after taking potion and shield icon glowing:

Damage: 0/0

Accuracy: 0

Defense: 14

Cold damage: 0

and after potion efect gone..normal situation:

Damage: 0/0

Accuracy: 0

Defense: 4

Cold damage: 0

Heat damage: 0

So what is the effect of P/C precisely anyway? In numbers? :D

p/c gives might, might gives stronger hits,

phys gives toughness=less dmg taken

coord gives more blocks/hits

Thats why i have p40c12 on fluff, so i hit them for only 12 dmg max, very often 1-5 hits, 126/137 a/d makes me able 2 train on fluff even with very low coord, but i get bad exp for hit/ block, 67 each :(

i hope that info helped, at least a little :)

eMPi