Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

New idea

why not boost shield and make it a useful spell (and level dependent) and have that as good, then attacking spells like harm poison are evil only?

I'd rather all alignments be able to use any spell, but depending on which way you lean, a spell can become more or less powerful (i.e., a good person's healing spells get a boost, but suffers from lower harm damage)

stalag, the idea of dynamic is good, but i think it shouldnt be a requirement to use a bod as these weapons are very expensive requires evil people to be rich. but some equivalent, maybe harming people or something.

EG

Ah, the original D&D alignment system; Good-Neutral-Evil, before the Lawful-Chaotic axis was added... :)

A problem with this sort of alignment systems is that they do not reflect behaviour; players choose alignment for the bonuses, and not because they match their style of play.

For example, a Paladin (meticulously good fighter) would choose to be evil for the attack bonus, even though their actions in-game are purely noble and good.

Alignment should be earned, and not chosen like a hat -- otherwise it doesn't contribute to character development.

The karma system (previously discussed at length) could be used in place of fixed alignments; a character's affiliation evolving in response to their actions.

While karma would be superior, a simpler system would be to have an alignment "skill", and award "alignment points" (ap) based on deeds. Unlike other skills, aps can be positive (for good) and negative (for evil), and the alignment can likewise be positive (good levels) or negative (evil).

An evil character could reform over time, by performing many good deeds, eroding his evil (negative) alignment and eventually building positive/good levels.

Bonuses and penalties could then have good/evil levels at which they become active.

This approach is also extendable: For example, a Law-Chaos axis to character alignment would be represented by adding another pseudo-skill, and ap's then come in two forms (good/evil and law/chaos).

Example deeds:

• Killing a good/evil creature earns evil/good ap.
  • Healing another earns good ap (on a non-PK map?).
  • PK'ing someone more evil than you earns good ap (and visa versa). This feeds into Brom's Outlaw idea.
  • Donations/sacrifices to temples earns related ap.
  • Rewards for quests.
  • Trading with an antisocial has to be bad.
  • Trading with another character moves you towards their alignment.
  • Using certain items may be considered good/evil (the branches and bones).

Other Points:

• How does alignment reflect on Guilds? If a guild has a mixture of members with diametrically opposed beliefs and attitudes then this should have a distruptive effect on the guild.
  • Alignment should have some effect on the interaction of characters and the priests of their chosen religions.
  • Some NPCs could refuse to deal with characters whos alignment is too far from their own.

Whilst a very nice idea - I can only re-iterate - heavily weighted to the side of evil.

Any player who trains on monsters (but not PK) will take the evil route - regardless of their intentions - merely for the added exp.

As for BoD/BroD - a good person should be able to use - but only in retalliation - and with a much greater chance of effect...

Perhaps evil cannot use diss rings?

One thing there should be a minimum level for all this to apply... to prevent adding more things for noobs to decide.

R

I like the ideas in this thread because they add a new dimension to the game. I hope we get the chance to test it before it is really introduced, so we can comment on tuning various parameters.

Sadly, this will make the game even more addictive ;)

I think a counter for the BOD and BROD would be a armour only for the light side...

the evil side uses dark weapons and the light side (usually the defenders) defends theirselves against these weapons with their special armours(would also solve part of the bitching about branch ;))

I would say that those weapons and armours are both only purchasable when you are truely ebul or a warrior of the light and that you wont be able to use these items if you drop below your ebul/light status by doing good/bad things... this way ppl would have something to work for and thus increasing healing ppl for instance...

just an idea..

hyperion

What a cool idea ;)

I like the 'good people go to heaven' instead of the underworld suggestion too :)

Also, you could be a bit good or a lot good - maybe if you *never* pk/pvp then you are really really good and never lose items when you die and go to heaven instead of underworld. But being so good would be very hard to earn, and obviously has major exp disadvantages.

Maybe you gain like pickpoints to spend on your alignment, so you can choose to be good, and if you change your mind you can take evil points to bring down your goodness, changing the benefits/pitfalls depending on your alignment value.

I know I look at this from a 'good' type point of view, but I am just too nice to be ebul lol :)

I think a counter for the BOD and BROD would be a armour only for the light side...

Good idea, there must be at least a counter in pk/training against the 5% att increase, and usage of brod/bod.

My suggestion: Alignment

Every player can have alignment between -1000 and 1000, and it is 0 in the beginning.

Serving gods affects your alignment:

Serving good god will decrease maximum (your) of evil alignment with 300, evil god maximum of good with 300 and neutral god both maximums with 200.

So if you are serving three good gods, your alignment can be between -100 and 1000.

If you are serving three neutral gods, your alignment can be between -400 and 400.

If you are serving good, evil and neutral god, your alignment can be between -500 and 500.

Interaction with players will affect your alignment:

If you kill person:

If you kill good person, your aligment will decrease (more evil) with 5.

If you kill person who is more evil than you, your alignment will increase (more good) with 5.

If you kill person who is less evil than you and you attacked, your alignment will decrease with 5.

If you kill person who is less evil than you and he attacked, your alignment will decrease with 1.

If you are healing another person with remote heal:

If you heal person with same alignment, your alignment will decrease with 1 if you are evil or increase with 2 if you are good.

If you heal person with another alignment, your alignment will increase (more good) with 1.

Some spells have different alignment:

Harm could be evil spell, so using it anybody could decrease your alignment. But maybe getting evil could be too easy?

It could as well need certain alignment to cast, or it could be less powerful with too low alignment.

Abusing some way the advantages you have got:

For example if you casted remote restoration on monster that you are not fighting with (but some other player is) would make you more evil, so if you continuously do so you won't be good enough to use it.

These are just examples, there could be lot of more stuff that affects alignment (like the one i suggested to remote restoration) :)

Certain alignment level would be required for some bonuses and disadvantages:

Evil:

-900: you can use BoDs

-700: higher change (5-15%?) to hit other players (just if you are equipping weapon)

-500: you get attack bonus (and would affect just fighting players)

-50: you can participate to paying for invasions

-50: unicorns will attack you on sight

Good:

900: remote restore that Nidan suggested

500: you can use staff of mage or protection

300: more harvesting exp per hour

50 you can participate to pay for invasion warning (or sabotage?) system

50: invasion monsters will attack you

Neutral:

Between -25 and 25: Something nice both good and evil people would want, for example decrease to mana that spells and summoning use (5%?) :D

There could also be negative perk that makes you get just disadvantages of alignment (and maybe positive that makes you get just advantages, but that would require more disadvantages for alignment to make people use it)

NOTE: Being evil requires more, but also gives better rewards, compare for example offerings and blessing of Aluwen and Mortos :)

Good side benefits should also include :

- Better shop prices , like % reduction

Evil side should also include :

- Expensive shop prices, like % more (if you arent anti of course)

Instead that, just alignment difference of NPC and player would matter.

For example if you had -200 and NPC had 200, diffence would be 400. That could be 40% increasement to price.

Neutral NPCs (alignment between 50 and -50) wouldn't care about it :P

Disadvantage is that it might be abused by people healing monsters that are in a fight with a player, thus killing the player. Ok, maybe it should only be able to target other players.

Or maybe using it to monster that you are not fighting with (but some other player is) would make you more evil, so if you continuously do so you won't be good enough to use it.

Oh, and could ebul protect himself by wearing mm cape against Unicorn?

No :P

And I think it's too easy to avoid whitestone. Maybe put one in IP too :D

And make it so that people with under 40 overall can't attack it so newbies cannot commit suicide :P

But, wouldnt every trainer/pker chose the evil side with these dis/advantages...

20 food is pointless for training/pking, also harvest xp, isnt that imprtant for them too.

So everyone who aims at a/d will chose evil, while they dont neceserraly (spelling) want to.

Isn't fighting evil anyway? ;)

One thing there should be a minimum level for all this to apply... to prevent adding more things for noobs to decide.

What about skill at 30 or overall at 40?

Edited by ville-v

but i am evil , and not using a brod / bod :S

it doesn' t nessecarily have to be BoD or BRoD maybe a new weapon... serpent sword of destruction for example... that does + 10 damage compared to reg serp and has a black black blade... (dark looks as evil = dark usually) or do 10-30 darkness damage instead of melee damage... this would add a little bit more variaty in the damage, a normal serp would do 30 melee damage and the SoD would do 30 darkness damage... the light armour for example would defend against dark damage but would be weaker against melee damage then regular armour is.

Some visible changes for characters depending on alignment would be nice too... something like Knights of the Old Republic 2... if you go to the light side you look like teh typical good guy, while if you become a sith you turn dark skinned with scary looks and so.

Make it something subtle like good folks being a bit paler than the rest or evil guys having red eyes or something like that ;) I think that if you see someone you can get a first impression on if they're good or bad by the way they look, even if they end up being different in the end.

it's not hell it's the underworld

umm how about a nice 'overworld' then :)

all nice with flowers and waterfalls, instead of dark ebul looking lava hehe :)

And shorter way to entrace ;)

Guest ohmygod

I cannot see why 'evil' players would want to be 'evil' if you drop stuff even with rost, cant use diss, get 150 from col where good would get 250+ with them, cant trade with others and all the other bad things people have been saying they want to happen to the 'evil' players etc.

I would not want this bad shit for just a/d+5%. Maybe Yes if double PP per oa lvl. i would gladly turn to the darkside for this.

PS: If evil, why would i want to trigger an invasion i cannot take part in? How is this a benifit of being ebul?

PS: If evil, why would i want to trigger an invasion i cannot take part in? How is this a benifit of being ebul?

Annoying good players and going to collect the loot ;)

I cannot see why 'evil' players would want to be 'evil' if you drop stuff even with rost, cant use diss, get 150 from col where good would get 250+ with them, cant trade with others and all the other bad things people have been saying they want to happen to the 'evil' players etc.

People know nothing they are posting about and think that evil players will be just those Brod users/bagjumpers/scammers and want punish them :)

Edited by ville-v

My main point is try to divide players in good and evil fighters, intead of fighters and workers. Not everyone is a fighter, but the good ones would have to defend themselves.

But what I want is to divide mainly between fighters and workers.

What came from me, was just not much well tought ideas that came out as alternatives. I think that rostogol stone and disengagement ring handicaps are obsolete. About crowns... why not leave CoL as they are and have evil players to use a different item for the same effect instead of the actual crown? Crown of Darkness or something? That would be an added difficulty (get another kind of item instead of the classical one) and will serve as an identity flag for evil players.

My main point is try to divide players in good and evil fighters, intead of fighters and workers. Not everyone is a fighter, but the good ones would have to defend themselves.

;) erm, perhaps I am not understanding clearly here, you wish to differentiate between "good" workers and "bad" fighters?

What about the concept of Balance? Surely as in RL, we all have elements of both light and dark? What about the concept of a player who wants to be Both? Is that the Neutral? and would that player then be less advantaged by however the benefits of of both are decided?

And if fighters were "dark" who would manu for them? or potion or make essies? They complain enough as it is that they are eternally broke.

Confused as usual,

Ferny

I fully do agree with Ferngale. If you want good vs evil to sepparate workers from fighters, why don't you just make jobs and vocations in the game? There should be something attractive on both alignments to any kind of player imo. Not all fighters are evil as well as not all workers are good.

this will only make more ppl quit the game, if all evil ppl use brod more items get spiled and they have to buy more and more, no fun anymore :o

this will only make more ppl quit the game, if all evil ppl use brod more items get spiled and they have to buy more and more, no fun anymore :o

Read the whole tread before posting plx?

We have BRoDs already, people already uses them without being good nor evil (and will surely turn evil after this) and will keep using them... nothing will change.

There's a big challenge with this, though: you can become a productive worker very quickly in this game, but it takes a long long time to become an effective pker. By creating a division, I think that most new players will be discouraged to go into fightnig.

scaf