Eternal Lands Official Forums
Kirianthis

Something wrong with the Taverns

Sitting in a bar called the Happy Spirits, I was pondering what many have pondered before, when I again found that there was something wrong in the place. I've not once seen a barfight in this strange land! Now, along the path of my journeys, I've been glad for the chance of untroubled passage in many areas, but... honestly... not a single bar brawl to rouse the blood? It's just not natural...

We need a PK tavern to rouse the spirits :o

Perhaps a special day... "Nasty Drunks" where all bars are PK (except IP tavern)?

Roleplay: Mortos has embued the spirit of alcohol with his malignance, causing happy drunks to get downright mean!

Edited by Kirianthis

Perhaps a special day... "Nasty Drunks" where all bars are PK (except IP tavern)?

Cool then evryone will be punching and kicking. Imagine the ladies. :o

love the idea, but how about when u get PKd in the tavern, u just respawn outside with nothing lost (or smaller chances of losing things) and it says like "you were knocked unconsious and dragged out of the tavern" or something like that (with a classic twist of EL humor in it :o )

or maby if the fight gets to big guards can come and kick everybody out......okay, im getting carried away now :P

1st

Cool then evryone will be punching and kicking. Imagine the ladies. :o

catfights, bring it on :P

Edited by wolfmom1

I've been wanting something like this to happen for a long time now :P

Don't know why it was never mentioned :o

also an effect on the player for drinking one of the various spirits available at the bar ... 20% drop in coord per drink for an hour maybe? Recovery of 10% per hour?

i suggest weapons...but leave your armor..i mean come on takes me forever to put on my plate set get everything in place and what not

Its your makeup that takes so long, be honest.

Tavern brawls were always a fun part of large (tabletop) RPGs, although usually they extended well beyond the tavern, down tight alleys and across the roof tops.

One problem with these in respect to EL is that the EL combat system is somewhat unsubtle - unless the combatants are relatively closely matched, the fight is often over in a single blow. For a fun tavern brawl you need the fights to last a long time.

1stWarrior's suggestion of a respawn outside the tavern makes sense, and helps the situation somewhat.

Some sort of non-lethal damage (concussion damage) would fit better (bare hands doing concussion, weapons doing lethal). Characters hitting zero or negative health on non-lethal damage are unconcious (paralized) until they recover positive health. Lethal and non-lethal damage could share the same health points -- its only if a lethal weapon leaves a character with negative health that they die.

One way to start a brawl would be to have "contagious PK flag" -- one character starts PK'able, and anyone who attacks them gets the PK flag, and so on. The PK flag is cleared when a character hits zero health (KO or dead), or leaves the event area.

People would be free to participate, or spectate (try to avoid spilling their drinks).

What about the experience aspect? A continual brawl would be a very generous source of A/D experience if it used the same rules as normal PvP.

Addendum:

If using 'non-lethal damage', a class of weapons could be defined which only do concussion damage. This would include unarmed, leather gloves, and bar miscellanea (the broken bottles, chair legs etc).

If we leave health points to account for life threatening damage, then concussion damage could be taken off other character attributes which have a natural recovery (and then off health when those attributes are exhausted). Candidates in EL may include:

• Attack and Defense skill level -- this has the nice touch that characters end up "punch drunk", incapable of swinging an accurate blow. Skills recover at 1 point/min as normal, faster with potions. A character who gets to zero attack or defense are too wasted to participate further, and lose the PK'able tag.

• Food level -- each concussion blow drops one food level, representing fatigue and minor damage. The nice thing here is that all characters have the same number of points to play with, so anyone has a reasonable chance of taking part. When food gets negative, health and attributes do not recover naturally.

I think I would have concussion damage coming off:

1. Food level first. If that is negative, it also comes off:
  2. Attack and Defense levels. If either of those are negative the character loses their PK tag, and points also come off:
  3. Health as real damage.

This should make tavern brawls last long enough to be enjoyable to characters with a wide range of abilities.

Edited by trollson

This sounds really fun, would be nice to get a party started in the Taverns :icon13:

If this happens it should be a special day and on that day there is no EXP gained in the fights inside a tavern only alot of fun.

Oh and who is going to pay for all the damage the taverns are gona get during this time?

I love all the ideas above, would be really cool!

And true, would be better without weapons but... could we at least use bottles or something as weapons? lol

If this will ever happen feel invited for a drink Kiri :P

Yeah kiri we' ll buy you a drink :P ill buy you one aswell dejan :ph34r:

and as for you reni, I just want to get my asswhooped while drinking beer so lets get it on! B)

there probly should be a way that u dont have to take part in a bar fight if u dont want to, otherwise the tutorial will have to be changed ( u know, where u have to go touch all the bar counters in WS). and some people actually do go to bars every now and then to get stuff..or so ive heard :P

1st

a temporary black eye from bar fight would be cool also...im sure that is not so easy to do program wise but would add a bit of humor and give the participants a "badge" to remember their night or drunken debauchery! :ph34r::P:P