Eternal Lands Official Forums
ttlanhil

firefox extension for EL

kay, well, I've made a basic toolbar extension so far... all it is is some pre-set bookmarks, in-line calculator, and textbox for looking up player stats though...

what else should be added to it?

please don't suggest things like deep-linked pages on help sites (eg item stats from CEL)... unless they say it's okay, it's not. I do, however, have a link to CEL's front page.

EL forums already has a useful and detailed search facility, so that isn't needed.

an option to launch the client isn't so easy, since this extension should ideally work on any platform... so EL could be in a lot of places

one other thing I'm considering: ingame #date and time

oh, and if you must have it... it's here... you may have to force it to open in firefox, or whatever... it's simple, and I don't think there are any bugs, but as always, use at your own risk

i would suggest adding #day to it also see if its a special day if thats possible but i doubt that

That can be done. Current special day information is available at the bottom of el-cel.com. Just ask Ghrae where he's getting that info.

scafativ

I have a player stats search extention for firefox, will just have to figure out how to make it installable (its just 2 files, and one of thems a mini el icon for it :confused: So Ill make that available shortly.

There are two important functions if a product will survive:

- How useful is it to the user base

- How intuitive is it to use?

I can not get your file to work. I do not know how to "force" it to work and I doubt the average firefox user knows how to either.

I'd be glad to allow use of el-cel, but I would like to first be able to install it myself to test it out. Please make the installation process more natural.

Thanks!

I can not get your file to work. I do not know how to "force" it to work and I doubt the average firefox user knows how to either.

I'd be glad to allow use of el-cel, but I would like to first be able to install it myself to test it out. Please make the installation process more natural.

the problem is simply that the webserver I'm storing it on doesn't know the mime type. on a server where it is set up, clicking on it would get you the 'firefox blocked this site from installing an extension' message.

to force it, you can download and drag the file into firefox, or I can make a short script so that you do have the right mime type, which I will (edit coming in a few minutes)

ed: or not, as firefox, perhaps rightly, doesn't like this... for now, just download, then drag the file into an open firefox window (there are other ways to load local files, but this is the easiest, IMO)

#day I'm not so keen on, since I'd rather people got in-game to find out, but I'm not that strongly against it

Edited by ttlanhil

Tried dragging into a FireFox window.

Error:

Firefox could not install the file at [path]

because: Invalid file hash (possible download corruption)

Four separate downloads and methods of trying to install all with same result.

I'd like to look at the toolbar, but pending nothing obvious or extreme, you can link to anywhere in the el-cel site that you find useful. Let me know when you work out the install bugs.

If it's any help, I'm running FireFox 1.5.0.6 on a Win XP 64 system.

myeh... oh well, it's not like it's a finished version yet anyway, lots of work left to do before I worry about packaging

myeh... oh well, it's not like it's a finished version yet anyway, lots of work left to do before I worry about packaging

Still sounds interesting. Let me know when you get it up and running

I tried to install it in firefox 2 but the message i got is that it is not compatible with this version of firefox.Anyway grats for your work

Edited by agis29

back when I was working on that, I only had FF 1.5 (I think a beta of FF 2 was around, but not fnished yet, from memory)

since then, I've been using linux a lot more, so no point in working on it (konqueror > FF/iceweasel ... for how long has konq had stuff like spellcheck in input boxes before FF got it?)

I think all of what I made is in the .xpi if anyone else wants to expand on it or bring it up to date for 2.X

(konqueror > FF/iceweasel ... for how long has konq had stuff like spellcheck in input boxes before FF got it?)

For a good amount of time (i remember using konq since version 3.3.0), since it has the kparts integration, stuff like spellcheck is just shared among the kde applications, including konq. Its also uses the KHtml engine, which is faster and uses _a lot_ less memory than gecko (which is used by iceweasel/firefox).

Konq is a great piece of software and the most undervalued browser.

Having said that, sorry for this offtopic note, and i hope it not spawn a holy war with ff's supporters.

Edited by Lorck

Konqueror is very very good.Its one of the reasons that i prefer Kde instead of gnome cause i hate nautilus and that spatial feature.On the other hand opera is improved a lot and maybe its better than firefox and iceweasel.

Anyway all those browsers are better than M$ internet explorer...and this is the most important thing.

There is a test called acid for browsers and konq will be build from now on with those standards.It seems that safari of apple(never used mac osx) is a great piece of software too.Many choises, more freedom i guess.

is anyone still interested in this? I might grab the stuff ttlanhil had done and expand it a little and update it so it'll work with FF2

if yes, tell me what features you'd like, apart from a couple of link and stuff...

ok, I've redone ttlanhils stuff and added some links... if people are interested I might expand it to include other features...

download the .xpi here ... save it and go for file-open and locate the file... firefox will then ask you whether you want to install the extension....

I love it! Nice work.

Only one thing, most people have privacy on, so many time, rankigs are better :P

Maybe that link could be changed with the Player Stats thingy?

Mango :D

ok, I'll see whether I can include the game clock, I dunno atm how I'd get the time out of the game, but it's on cel's guild page so there should be some way...

and as far as stats vs. ranking is concerned I'll if I can add a button next to the field for looking up the ranking instead the stats...

and thx :D for trying it :devlish: