Sign in to follow this  
Sildegaar

Pluto : no longer a planet

Who cares?

Btw:

[finnish comics]

:icon13:

You care obviously !

And since I don't read/talk/undesrtand Finnish, you might have to translate that for me and a 'few' others, so that we can all laugh together !

I can envisage the future:

Now: "When I were a lad all this was fields"

When we get all grizzled: "When I were a lad we had 9 planets in the solar system"

Pluto is a planet, it has been a planet officially since it was first observed in the 1930s and no jumped up pencil pusher is going to throw *me* in prison for supporting the rights of the minority.

A moon is something that orbits a planet. Does that mean that satellites should now be called moons? By the moronic logic that makes pluto no longer a planet I think that we should have hundreds of new moons, including the ones that the Man thinks we don't know about..

Free the Planetoid One!

pluto will always be a planet in my book, and they have classified it as a dwarf planet now, does that not still have planet in its name? so even by their standards its a planet.......just a small one, sometimes i wish our sientests really knew what they were saying. i heard on the news "Pluto is no longer a planet, it is now a Dwarf planet" kinda an oxymoronic statement since its new classification has planet in it.

Meh, so it's not a Classical Planet anymore. It's all terminology, definitions of objects get tweaked from time to time. The only difference between the Classical Planet and Dwarf Planet is section c of the definition, having to do with it's orbit around the sun. It's still classified as a planet, it's just that they say our solar system now had 8 Classical Planets.

Edited by Evalin

Bah, I've always loved Pluto to be a planet. Not Ceres and Xena though, Ceres would be so battered and hard to find admist it's non orbiting buddies. If Earth was as small as Pluto they would have to both be called planets.

But isn't Sedna still able to become a planet?

Hmm, was this topic moved here? Sistema's post seems to make me think so... then again, why do we all speak English/Polish/other Earth languages on Draia? Shouldn't we all have to learn gnomish or something? :icon13:

To me, it seems odd reclassyfying Pluto now. We know it's a body that orbits the Sun... I've heard it got reclassified because it'd orbit crosses Neptune, and it's small. So, every parent that has a midget kid that crosses a bigger kid of theirs can now "reclassify" their child and say, similar to the news on Pluto, that the midget kid isn't theirs? Then again, how many parents have midget kids... ;)

From what I've heard, Pluto's classification has been a topic of debate since the 90s, but they're just now changing it. I feel a nostalgic loss, 'cause I always thought Pluto was the cutest planet but...then again...they've reclassified planets before (e.g. 1 Ceres). Shame all the pretty solar system posters have to be trashed now...or are they now historical documents? Ebay, in 50 years, here I come!!!!~!~

OK, maybe I need to stop drinking coffee...

Edit: And, actually, why do we need to be so sad? We're getting new planets, after all :P

Although, seriously, I don't see why it's such a big deal. It's not as if these definitions are hard-coded. A celestial body is what it is, what does it matter what we call it?

Edited by Tanyia

Ceres is between Mars and Jupiter, right?

And and here's something you'd like to see =]

neueasteroiden.jpg

Errr... wait a second, I meant this one:

new_planets.jpg

i was also a bit dissapointed when the guy on the news was like, "Pluto is not worthy to be called a planet. It is just a big block of ice floating in space. There is no context in that."

Well, aren't like most of the planets just a big blob of dust and rocks? So, should they be worthy to be called a planet?

I mean, i rather ice than dust cuz dust makes me sneeze :P

Yep Siste, it's after mars in that asteriod belt.

Btw, I live on the North part of Draia. So it's not my fault if you guys are pagan :lurker:

Well anyway I never thought that pluto should be a planet it is in the Kuiper Belt (a field of asteroids orbiting beyond Neptune) and pluto just happens to be one of the bigger objects....