Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Evalin

Random thoughts

Partly taken from some conversations last night, and began thinking of them now.

MAGIC - There currently are no true "mages" in game. Perhaps this is because no magic requires a nexus, making it perfect for every fighter to use magic. This is fine, but what about expanding on the magic a little more. Require 10 magic nexus, hell, maybe even upwards of 20 magic nexus for high end spells. This would force the player to choose, if you want the p/c for fighting, go for it. But if you want to tap into some top end spells, you'll have to sacrifice your physique and coord for the requirements. Or perhaps instead of requiring a nexus, have a certain level of perception (currently unused) to use certain spells.

TAVERNS - Some topics have sprung up as to making use of the pubs in EL. Obviously making ale and mead usable has been brought up, and I've thrown out the idea of "the more you drink, the more pixilated your screen becomes, and random direction changes while walking". But what about introducing mini-games within EL? Have an option to get together a card game at one of the tables and such. Many options and paths to take with this, and it'd bring people around for socializing over a small game or two, maybe put a wager in the game too :P.

SECONDARY SKILLS - Has been brought up before. Is there a possibility of creating skills to level up that honestly have no use what so ever? Something like fishing, dancing, darts at the pub, I don't know, there's unlimited possibilites. But with them, obviously there'd be no direct profit off doing them (put back the fish when you catch them), but contests could be brought up around them. "Who can catch the biggest fish" ect.

EMOTE ITEMS - Items such as snowballs to "throw at people" "xxx just hit yyy with a snowball... PWND!". These would also be good as another money sink. Buy them from an npc for a small price, and just have fun with them. There's many possibilities other than just snowballs. Off the top of my head, firecrackers could work too.

Sorry if it's to longwinded to catch your interes, just some ideas off the top of my head :hehe:

Partly taken from some conversations last night, and began thinking of them now.

MAGIC - There currently are no true "mages" in game. Perhaps this is because no magic requires a nexus, making it perfect for every fighter to use magic. This is fine, but what about expanding on the magic a little more. Require 10 magic nexus, hell, maybe even upwards of 20 magic nexus for high end spells. This would force the player to choose, if you want the p/c for fighting, go for it. But if you want to tap into some top end spells, you'll have to sacrifice your physique and coord for the requirements. Or perhaps instead of requiring a nexus, have a certain level of perception (currently unused) to use certain spells.

The problem here is that when fighters will attack you when you have very low pc you will be killed in a second. And since you have such a little viewrange you can't say to stand far away to cast your magic :P EL combat system is just too limited to have a mage skill :huh:

Summon bunnies to trip them up while you cast your magic on them :P

Or better yet, if the true magic here does enough damage, get a team of 3 mages, or have a meat shield to help you (fighter)

In any other game, a mage alone is a dead man walking, but a mage teamed up with something that can take the hits is deadly. Mages have always been more damage than anything else, and therefor good on teams. This has been my experience with any game I've played anyway. Have your 100 phys buddy go up and distract the target, while you deal out massive damage to it :huh:

Summon bunnies to trip them up while you cast your magic on them :P

Or better yet, if the true magic here does enough damage, get a team of 3 mages, or have a meat shield to help you (fighter)

In any other game, a mage alone is a dead man walking, but a mage teamed up with something that can take the hits is deadly. Mages have always been more damage than anything else, and therefor good on teams. This has been my experience with any game I've played anyway. Have your 100 phys buddy go up and distract the target, while you deal out massive damage to it :huh:

But then fighters come to bitch the magic is too powerful, you should have seen the bitching because top magic players could harm people for 50 damage :P

They can keep cryin about it then, this would add a more team oriented pvp system, with more strategy involved. No need to make the only possible means of taking down a monster or player be pure brute force.

Though harm taking 50 health is a lil exessive being such a low level spell ;)

The problem here is that when fighters will attack you when you have very low pc you will be killed in a second. And since you have such a little viewrange you can't say to stand far away to cast your magic :P EL combat system is just too limited to have a mage skill :P

That would be an easy fix, add just a few extra spells. Spells like shock, the magic user sends 75-150 pts damage to anyone fighting with them, another one would be stun, the person fighing with them would be stunned for a period time, long enough to get away or finish them off.

I too would like to see magic users get a little more respect.

i agree with most of these idea's, and as magic is ment to be a totally different way of killing things than fighting it should require around the same amount of pp's, that way you dont get people being fighters and mages, which would just totally ruin the idea. So i would say you need 1-20 magic nexuses to cast the spells, and then take chaoogie's idea of the more nexuses after that you have in magic the more damage you do. That way true mages could get it up to 50+ and do alot of damage, but people that uses it while fighting to cast things like restore would be useless with healing other people or doing damage with magic, but they could still use restore, which is the only spell fighters should be able to use (if you try taking away restore for fighters they wouldnt stop bitching :P)