Eternal Lands Official Forums
0ctane

Macintosh OS X client 1.3.3 bugs thread

This is the "official" OS X bugs thread for the 1.3.x client release. I will update this first message as problems are identified and fixed. The client is linked to from the EL download page, or go to the official el_osx site to download. A MUG (Macintosh User Group) list is here.

If you think you have found a bug, please try to determine if it is OS X specific before posting. General bugs should be posted elsewhere.

Current EL version 1.3.3

Mac version .1a (10.4 Universal Binary)

Also runs on some OS 10.3.9 systems. Some G4 and G5 running OS 10.3.9 have been confirmed to work.

Note:

If you are looking for it (and did not pay attention to my website) the el.ini file is found in ~/Library/Application Support/Eternal Lands.

Note 2:

PLEASE, when you post a bug, include the type of Mac you use and the OS version.

Known issues (other than those listed in the ReadMe):

No cut & paste. No ETA on getting this fixed.

Shadow problem on PowerPC. Leave disabled.

Shadow map problem seems to freeze computer (but really just a long pause). Leave disabled.

"#cls" crashes game. Not isolated to Macs.

Rain does not fade out, but rather it suddenly stops. Noticed on linux too.

Teleport nexus seems to freeze game occasionally on PowerPC. I think this has to do with teleporting into walls. Quit game and restart.

This was primarily built on a i386 MacBook Pro.

I have done my best to test this on a G5 iMac, but there still may be problems.

I have not yet made a OS 10.3.x version yet due to some technical difficulties. However, as noted above, this seems to work on some 10.3.9 systems too. For one user (piscator) the Onyx program seemed to help run EL in 10.3.9. I have no affiliation with Onyx nor can I make any recommendation on their program.YMMV.

Finally, stay on topic please. This thread is for identifying bugs in the OS X client.

This is a BUGS thread for version 1.3.3 now. General comments on this Mac port can go here.

Edited by 0ctane

"#cls" crashes game. Not isolated to Macs.
that should be fixed in CVS, but it seems not to be propogating even when people do a cvs up

could you see if the version on CVS matches yours. in particular:

void clear_display_text_buffer (){
int i;
for (i = 0; i < DISPLAY_TEXT_BUFFER_SIZE; ++i){
	if (display_text_buffer[i].data && display_text_buffer[i].data[0] &&
			!display_text_buffer[i].deleted){
		display_text_buffer[i].data[0]= '\0';
		free(display_text_buffer[i].data);
	}
	display_text_buffer[i].deleted= 1;
	display_text_buffer[i].len= 0;
	display_text_buffer[i].size= 0;
	display_text_buffer[i].data= NULL;

the last 2 lines were added later than the rest, but are needed to avoid crashes. if this matches your tree, there's another bug to hunt, but I've seen before that people aren't getting this update, so hopefully it's all fixed

Guest ElizaPi

OK, I run an ibook G4 and I'm getting a message that it can't connect with the server, during the loading process, I love the game, but haven't been able to play much since school started, as I run a mac at school. We have a lot of wierd firewalls on the wireless here, so I don't know if its me, or if its the download, or if its the wireless...any thoughts would be great, because I really miss playing...!

ElizaPi

Mac OS X Version 10.4.8

MacBook Pro 2.16 Ghz Intel Core Duo (Early 2006 product)

2 GB of RAM

Video:

Chipset Model: ATY,RadeonX1600

Type: Display

Bus: PCIe

VRAM (Total): 256 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x71c5

Revision ID: 0x0000

EFI Driver Version: 01.00.068

Displays:

Color LCD:

Display Type: LCD

Resolution: 1440 x 900

Depth: 32-bit Color

Built-In: Yes

Core Image: Supported

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Supported

I downloaded the port of 1.3.3 and overwrote el_osx in my Applications folder. The game constantly crashed until I cleared out "/username/local/Application Support/Eternal Lands" (NOTE: I backed this up so I didn't looks my map coordinate files)

The game then loaded fine with no settings. However, there is one setting that locks up the application and my Mac without fail each time - Shadow Mapping. If I turn that on, it gives me the message that it set the Shadow Map Size as 512 but then locks the Application and my Mac.

When using 1.3.2p1 beta for Mac, I was able to use this setting without locking it up. I did experience entire system lock ups when using EL about once every two weeks. It is the only application to ever lock up my Mac. I try to run a clean system :P

Anyway, I don't know why it locks up but it does. I don't notice any difference graphically without it on.

Thanks for the port!!

Mac OS X Version 10.4.8

MacBook Pro 2.16 Ghz Intel Core Duo (Early 2006 product)

I have essentially the same system.
I downloaded the port of 1.3.3 and overwrote el_osx in my Applications folder. The game constantly crashed until I cleared out "/username/local/Application Support/Eternal Lands" (NOTE: I backed this up so I didn't looks my map coordinate files)
This is an issue with the el.ini file. As I mention in the README (and on my website), if the game fails to start, try deleting the el.ini file. (although, I guess I did not specifically mention that crashes might be fixed by deleting this file).
The game then loaded fine with no settings. However, there is one setting that locks up the application and my Mac without fail each time - Shadow Mapping. If I turn that on, it gives me the message that it set the Shadow Map Size as 512 but then locks the Application and my Mac.
This suggests that the original crashing was related to shadow mapping. I do not use it, so I did not notice a problem. However, when I activate it, I get the map size change and no crash.

I do not use it since, as you mention, there seems to be no difference with it on. On PCs and Linux, it makes the shadows more blurry and realistic. I have not had time to look into why it does not work properly on Macs. I guess, for now, just leave it disabled. If you have more problems, send me a PM with the crash log.

The EL.INI file was deleted since I cleared out the Eternal Lands directory in Application Support.

It is no big deal if I don't use Shadow Mapping, but I just don't know why it now crashes the system and it worked before on 1.3.2.

I won't bother activating it, but if I did, I wouldn't be able to send you a crash log. It has no time to generate any crash logs because it freezes the entire system. Even with terminal open, I thought I could close the program, but since the whole system freezes, I am unable to do anything at all. The logs were never written too as far as I can tell.

Thanks again for the port. I played non stop for about 5 hours earlier this morning.

It is no big deal if I don't use Shadow Mapping, but I just don't know why it now crashes the system and it worked before on 1.3.2.

I won't bother activating it, but if I did, I wouldn't be able to send you a crash log. It has no time to generate any crash logs because it freezes the entire system. Even with terminal open, I thought I could close the program, but since the whole system freezes, I am unable to do anything at all. The logs were never written too as far as I can tell.

I updated my first post. I have verified that shadow mapping (after a while as you noticed) will cause a freeze, but not a true crash. By closing my laptop, waiting, and reopening I can disconnect from the EL server, and the computer still works fine. Tracking this will be a royal pain since I to do not get a crash log either. Thanks for finding this bug.

Anyway, I don't know why it locks up but it does. I don't notice any difference graphically without it on.

Same here, but with or without shadow maps. EL freezes the graphics subsystem after some time playing windowed and then ALT-TAB switching to another app. Google Earth also freezes the graphics subsystem sometimes. I can still log in via SSH and do a normal, clean shutdown.

This seems to be an OSX OpenGL Bug, not EL.

Regards

Florian