Eternal Lands Official Forums
JoshuaMckee

need something to do

I've been sitting here trying to come up with an idea of something to do, but I just can't think of anything good. I'm just starting on the project so I need to do some stuff to help me learn the code. What did you guys do when you were first starting and do you have any ideas of tasks that I can do?

Is it ok to post stuff like this?

Thanks.

Josh

My first client changes involved adding a few new #commands, such as #gi for #guild_info, and also allowing colour tags in #GM messages.

I also made a "bags on map" feature which was great until I found out the hard way ("Zap! You were sent to Radu") that it was an illegal feature. In my defence I truly believed it was something that nobody else had done so I did it, not knowing it was illegal. But the telling off definitely marked my card on that one.

I was the first to implement a gamma correction feature ingame, which was declared illegal for a short time and then the idea was incorporated into the main client.

After that, I wrote stuff such as the anti-bagspam code, the quickspell toolbar and other parts in the main client. I still add small patches to the main client, but at the moment I cannot get the client to compile so I am stuck making very small contributions.

Those are my experiences, I hope that helped you. Find a feature ingame you think could be better and go ahead, change it..

Remember to only use a modified client on the test server (port 2001) and *never* use a modified client on the live server without Entropy's express permission.

This thread has several suggestions. You can also check out the patches in berlios to see what others have done, perhaps that will spark some additional ideas.

I started out just playing around with things, like making the side stats bars, or disabling the analog clock. I was interested in HUD improvements mainly.

This thread has several suggestions. You can also check out the patches in berlios to see what others have done, perhaps that will spark some additional ideas.

I started out just playing around with things, like making the side stats bars, or disabling the analog clock. I was interested in HUD improvements mainly.

ok I'll check that out. Maybe eventually I'll add some more particle effects, ... if we still need some.

I was thinking that the first thing I would do is make it so that the text appears green, or a different color, if the message was written by that person. That seems pretty simple.

Josh

erm. if you can't type, it's your client that's messed up, not the server

it's possible that your computer doesn't want more than one client running at a time (lack of memory, etc)

it's possible that your computer doesn't want more than one client running at a time (lack of memory, etc)

When I change over to the regular server it lets me type no problem. But when I go on the test server and start a new character all it lets me do is move the camera.

When I change over to the regular server it lets me type no problem. But when I go on the test server and start a new character all it lets me do is move the camera.

Whether you can type or not is a client feature.

I do not believe you can type/chat while creating a new character. To change the player name, hover your mouse over the text input box.

I do not believe you can type/chat while creating a new character. To change the player name, hover your mouse over the text input box.

It will let me type in the user name and password, but it won't let me type in anything once I'm in the game on the test server. Is this the way it's supposed to be, or is my client really messed up? If my client is messed up, then does anyone know what I'm doing wrong? I have only changed one line of code, and right after I changed it I returned it to the way it was. Also today when I try to do a cvs update, it gives me this error, ...

---

CVSROOT=:pserver:anonymous@cvs.elc.berlios.de:/cvsroot/elc

cvs.exe update: Empty password used - try 'cvs login' with a real password

? Project1.dev

? Project1_private.h

? Project1_private.rc

? Project1_private.res

error closing /tmp/cvs-serv17551/./CVS/Repository

No space left on device

Error, CVS operation failed

---

I am supposed to do cvs updates every day or so right?

Josh

It will let me type in the user name and password, but it won't let me type in anything once I'm in the game on the test server. Is this the way it's supposed to be, or is my client really messed up?
it's messed up. though I dunno why or how to fix it. perhaps you didn't change that single line back correctly?
No space left on device
that aint good. maybe you should free some disk space...
if you want to be really up-to-date you can... that's needed for when you prepare a patch, so that it'll apply cleanly to CVS at that time... for most people, though, who aren't coding, once a week or month is often enough Edited by ttlanhil

It will let me type in the user name and password, but it won't let me type in anything once I'm in the game on the test server. Is this the way it's supposed to be, or is my client really messed up?
it's messed up. though I dunno why or how to fix it. perhaps you didn't change that single line back correctly?
No space left on device
that aint good. maybe you should free some disk space

I have 157 free gigs of space on my hard drive so I don't know why it would say that.

It will let me type in the user name and password, but it won't let me type in anything once I'm in the game on the test server. Is this the way it's supposed to be, or is my client really messed up? If my client is messed up, then does anyone know what I'm doing wrong? I have only changed one line of code, and right after I changed it I returned it to the way it was. Also today when I try to do a cvs update, it gives me this error, ...

---

CVSROOT=:pserver:anonymous@cvs.elc.berlios.de:/cvsroot/elc

cvs.exe update: Empty password used - try 'cvs login' with a real password

? Project1.dev

? Project1_private.h

? Project1_private.rc

? Project1_private.res

error closing /tmp/cvs-serv17551/./CVS/Repository

No space left on device

Error, CVS operation failed

---

Josh

You filled up your hard drive for starters.

I have 157 free gigs of space on my hard drive so I don't know why it would say that.
permissions? quotas? /tmp a different partition without free space?

permissions? quotas? /tmp a different partition without free space?

It must have been permissions. I went into the folder properties and it said read only. But if it was read only, then I don't know why it would let get the code earlier.

Josh

Try again ... earlier CVS was giving me a similar problem, it seems that the CVS server may have filled a drive. It's working now for me.

Try again ... earlier CVS was giving me a similar problem, it seems that the CVS server may have filled a drive. It's working now for me.

CVS is working now.

its not letting me do a cvs update again. Is anyone else having a problem updating? The reason why this is a problem now, is that it won't let me log in to the test server because the version just got updated, ... either that or I totally screwed something up in the code.

Josh

Edited by Josh

The reason why this is a problem now, is that it won't let me log in to the test server because the version just got updated, ... either that or I totally screwed something up in the code.
if there's a version number error, just change the numbers. test server is for modded clients anyway. if you're up to date other than the numbers (which you would have been if you had CVS from before the fail) then it should all be compatible still