Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
scafativ

Gossip's New PVP matchup service is ready!

PvP Matchup Service:

Gossip (the bot) has a new pvp matchup service that will help you find that well matched partner that you've been looking for. She verifies everyone's stats, so scammers that are just looking to pk people won't get too far, and the formula has been perfected to find an ideal partner for you. To use it, just type:

/gossip matchme pvp

and you'll hear back from her when she finds an ideal partner for you. When you do the matchme command, your statistics privacy has to be off for a minute, but understand this: Gossip will never reveal your stats when she gets them from a matchme command! They are kept separate from the “about†stats that she provides. She won't even reveal your exact stats to your partner, although your partner will have a pretty good idea of your stats just because they'll be close to their own..

Email message and special day feature:

For those that don't know, Gossip also lets you leave messages for other players that aren't online, and then delivers them automatically when they log in. You can also have your in-game messages delivered to your email account, and even get an email notification when a special days starts!

To leave someone a message, type:

/gossip tell player message

Where “player†is the full player name, and “message†is whatever you want to say.

To sign up for email, just type:

/gossip myemail whotheheck@wherever.com

then:

/gossip subscribe messages

and/or:

/gossip subscribe specialday

or, easier yet:

/gossip subscribe all

If you have any questions post them here, or send me a gossip message.

Enjoy, and good luck finding that perfect PvP partner.

scafativ

PvP Matchup Service:

Gossip (the bot) has a new pvp matchup service that will help you find that well matched partner that you've been looking for. She verifies everyone's stats, so scammers that are just looking to pk people won't get too far, and the formula has been perfected to find an ideal partner for you. To use it, just type:

/gossip matchme pvp

and you'll hear back from her when she finds an ideal partner for you. When you do the matchme command, your statistics privacy has to be off for a minute, but understand this: Gossip will never reveal your stats when she gets them from a matchme command! They are kept separate from the “about†stats that she provides. She won't even reveal your exact stats to your partner, although your partner will have a pretty good idea of your stats just because they'll be close to their own..

Email message and special day feature:

For those that don't know, Gossip also lets you leave messages for other players that aren't online, and then delivers them automatically when they log in. You can also have your in-game messages delivered to your email account, and even get an email notification when a special days starts!

To leave someone a message, type:

/gossip tell player message

Where “player†is the full player name, and “message†is whatever you want to say.

To sign up for email, just type:

/gossip myemail whotheheck@wherever.com

then:

/gossip subscribe messages

and/or:

/gossip subscribe specialday

or, easier yet:

/gossip subscribe all

If you have any questions post them here, or send me a gossip message.

Enjoy, and good luck finding that perfect PvP partner.

scafativ

Did you ever think about integrating instant messenger functionality to gossip?

jabber protocol would be breaze to add to it!!! Check http://www.jabber.org if you never heard about it. Through jabber you could also connect to msn, icq, aim and gadugadu

Great idea! Tried it, but unfortunately Gossip didn't find a matching partner so far :)

kl4Uz- it's going to take a bit of time before you'll get match results, because she needs a bunch of people to sign up before she starts maknig matches. You were one of the very first to request a match, so there wasn't anyone to match you to. :D Give it a bit of time- and the more, the merrier.

scafativ

That's pretty cool!

Awesome feature! ^^

Can't wait to try it out.

:( it never found anyone..

Great idea! Tried it, but unfortunately Gossip didn't find a matching partner so far :(

kl4Uz- it's going to take a bit of time before you'll get match results, because she needs a bunch of people to sign up before she starts maknig matches. You were one of the very first to request a match, so there wasn't anyone to match you to. :) Give it a bit of time- and the more, the merrier.

scafativ

ah, I see why it wont find anyone yet hehee

great job it totaly rocks.

what will gossip do next have a dating machup lol

Why else do you think that you have to indicate "pvp" after "matchme"?

It'd be great if you can admire every EL day rather then every RL day.

Well, it currently isn't once per RL day, actually- think of it more as a 24 hour cool-down. Since you asked nicely, I'm going to change it to a 12 hour cooldown, and see how that goes.

Entropy suggested that gossip have a 10% chance to have admiration privacy "break", thereby revealing the admirer, but we won't be doing that. (just kidding, ent).

scafativ

Heh, I like the idea of admiring having a privacy break chance - after all, you can't hide forever, can you? Certainly could create problems if people are not discrete, or it could lead to a blossoming EL relationship - who knows?

Maybe if you could affect your chances with gossip slipping up, either for more or less of a chance... I probly wouldn't use the feature for obvious reasons, but I still think it would be interesting hearing the stories...

Hmm, could also have a random feature where gossip randomly sends an admire to the wrong person. ;)

Heh, I like the idea of admiring having a privacy break chance -

Hmm, could also have a random feature where gossip randomly sends an admire to the wrong person. ;)

As much fun as this may sound (to the cruel mind), gossip will never do anything to violate the public trust. People would stop using her.

Dozens of matches have gone out already- once you've been matched, you have to type '/gossip matchme pvp' again when you're ready for a new match.

Feedback on the quality of the matches is encouraged, so we can tweek in the formula.

scafativ

A little suggestion on the pvp matchup. Would it be possible to take into account magic level? The match I received was very close in a/d/p/c (good job!), but their magic level isn't high enough to restore. I personally see having the restore spell as essential for pvping, perhaps a setting to choose if you only want a partner than can cast restore? Obviously I have no idea how difficult that would be to do, but its just a suggestion.

Good job on the bot, can't wait to see what's next. :P

A little suggestion on the pvp matchup. Would it be possible to take into account magic level? The match I received was very close in a/d/p/c (good job!), but their magic level isn't high enough to restore. I personally see having the restore spell as essential for pvping, perhaps a setting to choose if you only want a partner than can cast restore? Obviously I have no idea how difficult that would be to do, but its just a suggestion.

I think Terena has a good point about the magic. Then again, I would expect the average PVPer to be able to restore, otherwise they will need lots of BR pots!.

I think it's fairly trivial to implement a magic level check if you are using a SQL database, but then, what do I know about bots? :)

Edited by EaglePrince

Wow, Terena! It never occurred to me that someone would request a match without restore. As Mr. Lee and others suggested, it's a must for pvp training.

I'm going to do a few queries to see how many unrestorable folks have requested matches. I'm considering rejecting matchup requests if they don't have the magic level. I'll do some research and figure it out from there.

Thanks for all the feedback, everyone.

scafativ

I'm going to do a few queries to see how many unrestorable folks have requested matches. I'm considering rejecting matchup requests if they don't have the magic level. I'll do some research and figure it out from there.

I was contacted by Harriette (who's having difficulty posting here), and she says that she pvps quite nicely w/o restore by using remote heal on herself! I must admit, I didn't even know that one could do that. With a bit of will, the number of regained mat points is quite useful, apparently.

So- my plan (implemented in the next week or so) will be to match sub-restore players with the like, and restorable players with each other. That will be just a refined match without leaving anyone out of it.

scafativ

Guest Harriette

Yes, I pvp with magic level 19 by remote-healing myself and it works fine. I like your idea, scaf, of matching the remote healers with other remote-healers or br takers, because while pvp is not necessary for lower level fighters, it's great xp and a lot of fun! I pvp regularly with fighters that can restore and we've never had problems.

Very good! I might use it one day!

Hmm.. I signed up on the day you announced it.. and It still has not found me a partner.. yet I pvp with about 5 different people who are on every day :P

Thanks, I got matched to someone for PVP and PVPed with him yesterday. It was cut short (I think we PVPed for 5 mins though) by someone else coming into the arena and killing him. But I think me and him will PVP again if we can find a safe arena where someone else won't ruin it.

Lu