Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ttlanhil

do you often crash on #cls?

I've seen a number of reports of crashes when using #cls. unfortunately, I haven't had it myself, which makes it hard to debug.

still, I've changed a few things, and I'm hoping that it'll fix it. I need people who regularly get crashes on #cls to test it though

the client is here: http://users.on.net/~gingerman/elc_ttlanhil_review.exe you'll need my usual .dlls and stuff (this is the review client that my installer will get, so if you prefer to use that, feel free)

note that there are few changes from clean CVS:

1: a change in how #cls is done. it should be faster as well as, hopefully, solving the bug.

2: a test command, #flood, to fill your buffers. if you only get the #cls crashes when the chat buffer is full (ie there's that flicker on the main when the chat text moves up, and you've been online at least a few hours) then you can easily use #flood to fill it.

note: #flood may take a couple of seconds to finish, depending on your computer. give it a little while before assuming the client locked up

3: an extra check to make sure that #flood messages don't go to chat_log.txt (which is sorta part of change 2)

anyone who has had the #cls bug more than a few times, please try this client out, and report any crashes on #cls (that means giving it a good work-out). if you've givven it a good work-out, and no crashes, or if you do get a crash when you use #cls, please let me know

Edited by ttlanhil

I've seen a number of reports of crashes when using #cls. unfortunately, I haven't had it myself, which makes it hard to debug.

still, I've changed a few things, and I'm hoping that it'll fix it. I need people who regularly get crashes on #cls to test it though

the client is here: http://users.on.net/~gingerman/elc_ttlanhil_review.exe you'll need my usual .dlls and stuff (this is the review client that my installer will get, so if you prefer to use that, feel free)

note that there are few changes from clean CVS:

1: a change in how #cls is done. it should be faster as well as, hopefully, solving the bug.

2: a test command, #flood, to fill your buffers. if you only get the #cls crashes when the chat buffer is full (ie there's that flicker on the main when the chat text moves up, and you've been online at least a few hours) then you can easily use #flood to fill it.

note: #flood may take a couple of seconds to finish, depending on your computer. give it a little while before assuming the client locked up

3: an extra check to make sure that #flood messages don't go to chat_log.txt (which is sorta part of change 2)

anyone who has had the #cls bug more than a few times, please try this client out, and report any crashes on #cls (that means giving it a good work-out). if you've givven it a good work-out, and no crashes, or if you do get a crash when you use #cls, please let me know

I've had #cls crash usually after the buffers have filled. Another problem I remember which my be related was #cls didn't always remove all the lines. I was thinking then that both might be related to also calling the line wrap function while each line was being removed.

Another problem I remember which my be related was #cls didn't always remove all the lines. I was thinking then that both might be related to also calling the line wrap function while each line was being removed.
which is pointless when removing all the messages anyway.

the patch is here, including the #flood command

Edited by ttlanhil

My EL hasn't crashed using #cls.. I use it in fights mostly, and when someone spams meh.. :)

Erm.... mine also crashes when you type #cls while the console is open...

EDIT: It didn't crash the second time I done it... o.O

Edited by sisteMa`

I only crash using #cls when I'm in console mode. Hope that helps any.
possibly, things are a bit different when it's trying to show the console
Erm.... mine also crashes when you type #cls while the console is open...

EDIT: It didn't crash the second time I done it... o.O

console open = in console?

are you both talking about current client, with more info on the bug, or with the client I posted above?

I only crash using #cls when I'm in console mode. Hope that helps any.

Exactly same here.

I know you wanted only reports on any bugs for the client you listed above, but I was referring to the current game client. I should've clarified that in my original post, I thought I'd help pinpoint the problem by posting my experience.

So sorry if I've confused you, just trying to help. :o

I've had some positive reports, and no negative ones, so this will go in. thanks to those who have tested it

I haven't tried your custom client, but I crash quite consistantly when doing #cls from console mode....or when doing #cls in rendered mode and then switching to console mode too quick.

I haven't tried your custom client, but I crash quite consistantly when doing #cls from console mode....or when doing #cls in rendered mode and then switching to console mode too quick.

I have the same problems a few times... but in main client, not ttlanhil one. idk each one u were asking,

Game often crashes if i type #cls in console mode.

It also crashes often if i'm not in console mode, then i type #cls and then i try to open console soon after that but if i wait little (maybe 1 min) first and then open console, it don't crash.

when doing #cls in rendered mode and then switching to console mode too quick.
Hmm... I wonder if that's it... something else messing with the console before #cls is finished (eg: new message from the server)... if so, you'd only expect it to sometimes crash, not as often as it seems to, but still...
Well, when you fixed this problem, maybe you could look at mine.
or I could not, since you were so rude as to try to hijack a thread on a different topic, that's not even finished yet, when there's already similar stuff you should have searched for

yes, that's it. I just tested a few times, when I #cls and switch to console before a new message comes in, it will crash. If I let a message from the server come in before I console, it's not a problem