Eternal Lands Official Forums
Roja

New leather-iron armor

Are the torso and pants the only peieces you are planning to make? Or are you planning to make some similar boots also?

They look cool though :devlish:

could you make it in mini-size for the gnomes? cos i absolutely love it! :devlish: keep up the goodGREAT work! remember mini-size for gnomes! oh yeah any idea on cost?

This looks almost exactly like what I had in mind when wishing for enhanced/studded leather armor. I voiced my wish so often and never got feedback on it, so I thought you didn't think it a good idea. You really got me by surprise - amazing work Roja, and thanks for fullfilling my wish!

P.S.: Now I need to think of a new wish for christmas ;-)

That looks great! :D

Should give some protection against missile weapons to?

Btw, something i noticed the other day is that chainmail have missile protection, but iron plate does not?

To my knowledge chainmail offer very bad protection against missile weapons, while iron plate would offer great protection against most missiles.

Anyway, keep up the good work! :)

Btw, something i noticed the other day is that chainmail have missile protection, but iron plate does not?

To my knowledge chainmail offer very bad protection against missile weapons, while iron plate would offer great protection against most missiles.

actually, historically, chain mail did give better protection against missle weapons, due to its flexability and the fact that its made of hundreds of little mettal rings. While plate armor is flat and hard, and though it may be strong, its not flexable, and more easaly pierced by stabbing attacks and arrows. in fact, the only thing plate could stand up (ranged wise) to was a short bow, because long bows and cross bows would punch right though the flat steel(or iron) ouch! :devlish:

btw, great job Roja! cant wait to see it ingame!

Edited by 1st Warrior

actually, historically, chain mail did give better protection against missle weapons, due to its flexability and the fact that its made of hundreds of little mettal rings. While plate armor is flat and hard, and though it may be strong, its not flexable, and more easaly pierced by stabbing attacks and arrows. in fact, the only thing plate could stand up (ranged wise) to was a short bow, because long bows and cross bows would punch right though the flat steel(or iron) ouch! :P

btw, great job Roja! cant wait to see it ingame!

Oh, your right on that.

But the chainmail were primairily designed to protect against cutting edges, being more easily peirced by sharp points such as arrows/spears and swordtips.

Now i think thats enough offtopic from me for now. :)

Will this be called Scale armor? or is the actual name Leather-iron?

Edit: And do you know yet whether it will be above or below chainmail?

On a ps2 rpg called Champions Of Norrath (kick ass game) they have a similar armor they call scalemail. Seems like an appropriate name, no? or atleast a nickname :) Great work as usual Roja :D

actually, historically, chain mail did give better protection against missle weapons, due to its flexability and the fact that its made of hundreds of little mettal rings. While plate armor is flat and hard, and though it may be strong, its not flexable, and more easaly pierced by stabbing attacks and arrows. in fact, the only thing plate could stand up (ranged wise) to was a short bow, because long bows and cross bows would punch right though the flat steel(or iron) ouch! ;)

Not true.

Chain mail was poor against impaling weapons, such as arrows, due to the ring structure. On impact the point of the arrow is much more likely to find purchase in the nick in the rings, directing the energy of the weapon into the body. An impaling weapon, directing a lot of energy to a small point, could quite easily split open a chain ring. Chain was effective at preventing cutting damage from edged weapons, and of course less effective in itself against crushing attacks (hence heavy padding was worn in conjunction with chain, and other armours, to absorb and spread impact).

Plate armour, on the other hand, having a smoother surface, provided less purchase for arrows, which would me more likely to deflect than penetrate, taking the path of least resistance. Design of later medieval plate included ridges to guide the deflection of blows away from vital areas.

Reconstruction and experimental archeology have demonstrated these. Recent experiements have shown that even at the battle of Agincourt, the standard cited case of longbow supremacy over plate, the longbow had great difficulty in penetrating the plate armour of the period, at the ranges at which the engagement took place. The horses where more vunerable, and the churned up mud made operating on foot in heavy plate very difficult. Most of the dismounted knights died to the archer's daggers either during the battle or afterwards.

The development of stilletto daggers (etc) as anti-plate weapons was not because they could penetrate the plate, but because their narrow cross-sections could penetrate at the joins between the plates.

An impaling weapon, directing a lot of energy to a small point, could quite easily split open a chain ring
chain mail is made by inter-linking bent peices of metal. there's no soldering or melting or anything, busting open a link wouldn't take much from a peircing weapon
Chain was effective at preventing cutting damage from edged weapons, and of course less effective in itself against crushing attacks (hence heavy padding was worn in conjunction with chain, and other armours, to absorb and spread impact)
actually, just moving around with it would cause chafing without some protection, though you may go from leather shirt up to thicker protection to avoid as much damage from crushing blows... while we're at it, I'll point out to the reader that not all leather is hard... the hard cured leather can be used when it's the main protection, but soft leather is used in padding and clothing
Design of later medieval plate included ridges to guide the deflection of blows away from vital areas.
the ridges are even more important than that. a flat sheet of thin metal wouldn't be too hard to damage, but all the curves (made from hammering the sheet of metal on an anvil, heap of sand, whatever) also provide a lot of strength to the plate itself... plate having a lot of grooves and patterns in the making aren't just decorative, but mostly for armour strength. that allows a lot of strength without having to have the plates be very thick.

it's a common misconception that it'd be easier to move around in a chain shirt than plate. plate is make up of many parts that can move individually, and the weight is spread over the body. with a chain shirt you have all the weight on the shoulders, and the chain doesn't twist well.