Eternal Lands Official Forums
Coffeehunger

Need help with connection to EL

I haven't been able to login to the game for a while. Talked to some very nice ppl and we managed to connect me over another port, so after that I talked to the internet provider who says that port 2000 is open so the problem should be on my own computer. I have absolutely no idea where to look. So far I've checked that Windows Firewall allows the program, but that's about as far as I can get with my knowledge :blink:

Could really use some help.

In advance: thanks

Coffee

nothing happens in the client itself ... it just doesn't respond to id/pass...

Error.log looks like this:

Log started at 2006-07-09 16:43:08 localtime (Romance Daylight Time)

[16:43:09] Error: Can't open file "quest.log"

[16:43:09] Downloading http://www.eternal-lands.com/updates130/files.lst from www.eternal-lands.com

[16:43:09] Error: Can't open file "commands.lst"

[16:43:26] Client closed

try checking chat_log.txt for messages about wrong password, etc

just get's the following:

Log started at 2006-07-09 17:35:27 localtime (Romance Daylight Time)

[17:35:27] Window size adjusted to 780x550

[17:35:27] GL_ARB_multitexture extension found, using it.

[17:35:27] GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array extension found, using it.

[17:35:27] GL_*_point_sprite extension found, using it.

[17:35:27] GL_ARB_texture_compression extension found, using it.

[17:35:27] GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc extension found, using it.

[17:35:27] GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap extension found, NOT using it...

[17:35:27] GL_ARB_shadow extension found, using it.

[17:35:27] GL_EXT_framebuffer_object extension found, using it.

[17:35:27] GL_ARB_fragment_program extension found, NOT using it...

[17:35:27] GL_ARB_vertex_program extension found, NOT using it...

[17:35:27] GL_ARB_vertex_shader extension found, using it.

[17:35:27] GL_ARB_fragment_shader extension found, using it.

[17:35:32] Connecting to Server...

as I said I just get the login screen, and it doesn't repond to id/pass

Last time we could help, it wasn't the client, even a normal socket open did not work, only on port 2001.

The client works fine throw a bsd proxy (we set it to port 110).

So I think she has the same problem now like the last time. And while the provider do not block this port, it must be on the local system - and it isn't the EL-Client itself.

yes yes .... same as before...and yes as you said I could get into the game like you explained (dont remember how you did it, but it worked).

I was told to contact my provider to have port 2000 opened. Should be ... still wont connect ... I'm getting a feeling that my EL days are over :'(

yes yes .... same as before...and yes as you said I could get into the game like you explained (dont remember how you did it, but it worked).

I was told to contact my provider to have port 2000 opened. Should be ... still wont connect ... I'm getting a feeling that my EL days are over :'(

In the past we've had problems with Norton AV blocking the connection.

In the past we've had problems with Norton AV blocking the connection.

Does Norton block the software or the port? Sorry im not so fine with this.

Coffee, which software do you use to secure your system, maybe we could find where to enable this port?

Edited by Suessie

dont have anti-virus program atm as I deleted it, but it used to be kaspersky. Other than that I have only Windows own firewall. I tried to disable the firewall to see if it made any difference, but no.

I think it is the firewall which comes with service pack 2, right? Anyone here knows how to help her? Maybe a rule that allows all programs to connect to port 2000?

ok this is too depressing :wub: I miss my EL friends *sniffles*

...anyway I tried to download a program called "active ports" when I logged in to EL it said that access was established ... but ... still just gives me the login screen ... nothing else.

I give up for now ... it's too depressing to sit and stare at forum ... I can't even check anywhere if my password is incorrect ... though it shouldn't be. Thanks for trying to help anyway,

Coffee

I think it is the firewall which comes with service pack 2, right? Anyone here knows how to help her? Maybe a rule that allows all programs to connect to port 2000?
if disabled, it should have fixed it, but we can try anyway.

start->Settings->control panel->windows firewall

exceptions tab

add program

if you can't find it on the list (eg no start menu entries) then use the 'browse' button, you'll find EL, uless you changed it on install, in 'C:\Program Files\Eternal Lands\'

and you should have the 'notify me when a program is blocked' box checked

okay, lets try something else.

press Win+R (that's the windows key. if your keyboard doesn't have one, start->run will work too), and type in 'cmd.exe' and press enter

once the command window comes up, type in 'telnet eternal-lands.solexine.fr 2000' and press enter (exactly like what's inside the quotes).

you should either get the "hi and welcome to... etc" message, a query from a firewall program that might be hiding, a connection timed out message, or a connection refused message.

let us know which, and close the window :P

okay, now try changing the 2000 to 2001. if you get the same message, then try changing the number to 80

okay, now try changing the 2000 to 2001. if you get the same message, then try changing the number to 80

on 2001 I get ♥ÉTest server.

Connection to host lost

on 80 I get black screen with a dot blinking.

tried 2000 just to make sure I had typed correctly I get the same ... black screen

then there's something blocking the port for EL. if you've disabled all firewalls, then try disabling any spyware and antivirus checkers for a test of EL, then re-enable them as soon as possible.

if it still doesn't work, then either something hiding on your computer is blocking it (unlikely) or your ISP is

not having any anti-virus or spyware running ... ISP says port 2000 is open .... oh well ... I have no idea how to check if anything is blocking or what to do about it anyway.

Thanks for trying so patiently to help me

I have no idea how to check if anything is blocking or what to do about it anyway.
I do, but it gets more complicated and takes a bit more work. that means listing everything currently running on the computer. I know where the lists are, you'd just need to screenshot them or whatever.

if there's nothing in those lists that could do it, then it's either a router/modem(possible if you have a home network or use DSL/cable, but unlikely to be the problem), or your ISP

but if it turns out that using a proxy is okay, then that's probably the simplest thing to go with

Edited by ttlanhil

Maybe an msn distance help could do the trick? That someone really smart on computers can have a peek at your pc and can fix this? I havent got a clue if this will help but its always worth a try....

Btw I really hope u can help her cause i miss her and i hate to see **sad panda's**

Hugs

Raisa

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.