Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Thordin

Coat of arms

I was thinking how to bring more strategy to PK maps. And I have remembered that in battles, the standart bearers were also important, raising morale to army. So I though up something for EL.

There would be multiple coats with multiple effects.

The effect of it is, that it gives bonuses to nearby players of the sam guild, as is the coatbearer. The bonuses would be: "+critical damage (blood coat)", "+crtitical to hit (death coat)", "+armor (stone coat)", "+MP (life coat)" for example...

The coat is NPC only items with yet unknown price (I do not dare to suggest)

The coat is considered a two-handed weapon with no ability of attack.

(bearer cannot use shields)

The player who bears a coat, cannot return attack, but he only receives halved damage from any source. (bearer cannot cast spells as well, he can only use potions and rings)

The effect of the coat in only on nearby squares (let's say 6 squares?) and only guildmembers can use the advantage of it.

I know it's quite a wild one, but what do you think about it?

Hmm, an idea to favour guild who have lots of players and mantain the pk fields unbalanced. Pretty interesting.

Edited by Lorck

Hmm, an idea to favour guild who have lots of players and keep the unbalanced side of pk. Pretty interesting.

The effect of it would be only for really nearby players, forcing them to form a tight pack, which can maneuver with difficulty, also, the bearer would be quite weak, if he cannot restore. (this I added for a certain reason)

Hmm, an idea to favour guild who have lots of players and keep the unbalanced side of pk. Pretty interesting.

The effect of it would be only for really nearby players, forcing them to form a tight pack, which can maneuver with difficulty, also, the bearer would be quite weak, if he cannot restore. (this I added for a certain reason)

Of course he can take the coat off (and drop it?), cast spell and put coat back ;)

Of course he can take the coat off (and drop it?), cast spell and put coat back ;)

Just to clarify: its a coat-of-arms, a standart flag, not a cape.

And I forgot to add a cooldown in the firts post. (when you took it down, let's say 90-120 seconds would do...)

Note: I am NOT trying to invent overpowered item, if you find a weakness or abusable spot, I did not notice, just say it.

Edited by ThordinElement

This is the sort of thing I was thinking of for Guild Artifacts a while back (which was received with stunned silence...). Though in this case less rare?

Hmm, thinking about this... It is not really 'Coats of Arms' we are talking about, but battle standards.

If each guild could acquire one battle standard, and its effects being dependant on the guild profile? Actually this would fit in with the developing-guild model I described in the limited guilds thread; guilds having levels, spending "guild pick points" to acquire abilities. Some of these guild perks could augment their standard.

The properties of the standard need not be limited to combat bonuses, but could offer bonuses to other activities.

Then "capture the flag" scenarios become a lot more earnest;

• if you are carrying a standard and are not in the guild you are PK'able.
  • standards cannot be stored by non-guild members.
  • if dropped and vanish they return to the GuildMaster's storage.

Then though, it is too safe for the bearer of a combat standard (if it is an artifact, then the bearer would be PK'able in all situations). Which is where legimate theiving skills would be nice.

Aside on Coats of Arms:

If you've ever looked at rules of heraldry, how coats of arms are described? It has a very systematic syntax (to allow CoA's to be recognised and recreated from description only). The syntax, how CoAs are added and merged, looks familier to anyone familier with programming. It should be possible to have a program create a CoA from a piece of description and a palette of standard images and patterns.