Eternal Lands Official Forums
RayGunner

About arenas

I am reposting this so we can get feedback in general. My fellow guildie was bruttally attacked while training with a guildie from CEL. They were both killed and good items were stolen from both. It was in an arena. When they asked they were simply told by DIE! guild that it's a PK map and it's all free for all. What do you think? Get rid of the open arenas? I say YES. :evilgrin:

:(

Well there is a problem with the concept of the arenas. The true meaning is listed. But in EL game it is considered another PK MAP And therefore it is a TRAP and Free For All. So I recommend all players avoid them and simply not use them. I feel they should be removed from the game maps altogether. But this is my opinion. Arenas should have some respectable rules of honor. But this can never be.

It's Meaning:

1. An enclosed area for the presentation of sports events and spectacles.

2. A building housing such an area

2. A place or scene where forces contend or events unfold: withdrew from the political arena; the world as an arena of moral conflict.

3. The area in the center of an ancient Roman amphitheater where contests and other spectacles were held.

[Latin harçna, arçna, sand, a sand-strewn place of combat in an amphitheater, perhaps of Etruscan origin.]

WORD HISTORY Fans watching contact sports such as boxing, hockey, or football in modern arenas might be struck by the connection between the word arena and the notion of gladiatorial combat. This word is from Latin harçna (also spelled arçna), “sand.†Harçna then came to mean the part of a Roman amphitheater that was covered with sand to absorb the blood spilled by the combatants. Arena is first recorded in English during the 17th century, denoting this area of a Roman amphitheater. With general rules of combat allowing a fight to the death by permission and therefore no crimes committed.

Is it only me hallucinating, or everybody is against PKing these days? :(

I do feel sorry for your friends (I was killed in arena many times myself), but...

...as I told in that suggestion thread, I think that arenas are part of the game, place where you can train, or watch spectacular fights of the top fighters. Removing them would bring even more decrease of PKing, which is bad IMHO. Arenas provide a place for easy XP but for a cost that you can be killed and potentionally lose some items. If you don't like arenas, simply refrain going in there, nobody forces you to do so. But removing them for a reason you stated above? :evilgrin:

I suggest you for the next time (if you are not already aware of) to use combination of disengagement ring+teleport ring, so easy to use, so powerful it is.

Edited by ThordinElement

This looks like the suggestion from the suggestions forum.

Maybe the designers could tweak the arenas to have more exits.

Maybe DIE! and other PK guilds will stop pking

Maybe you can learn to evade getting pked.

Maybe...just maybe

Guest DirtiDeeds
:evilgrin: I not against PKing. Just the concept of calling something an arena that is really a death trap with no rules. It is misleading to all new players and even us older players. It is a big lie on an otherwise great map.

:evilgrin: I not against PKing. Just the concept of calling something an arena that is really a death trap with no rules. It is misleading to all new players and even us older players. It is a big lie on an otherwise great map.

If you are scared of being trapped, don't go there then...

And as for new players, there is a warning before they enter, if they choose to disobey it... (it's like crossing on red light, either you walk over safely or a bus smashes you, it's same here)

If we are going to go the historical way, lets go on a complete manner :evilgrin:

The old arenas, as they were, were not a safe place for anyone inside. Some times, if the people that were pesent had honour, the combatants would fight on equal conditions to death, some other, if there were any other interest in the middle, you could be easily ripped up by a friend of an assassin or group of them hired for that purpose by your enemy or his boss. Sometimes, you could even be killed on a colisseums depending if the public liked you or not...

Now to the game again, pvp is by far the best way to make experience, so, what is the problem is you take some risk? if even now with that risk, prople continue pvp'ing cause is the best exp for fighters... You want easy and safe exp? Go make metal bars. If you choose to fight, then... well, fight :(

Said that, im not a pker, and rarelly go into any pk map. I understand the concept of honour in the arena, but... well, this is like real life, some people have it, some does not, but if you go into a battle ring, you know that you can get some damage in your bones, so, if you are not prepared to go against Al Capone, better stay away from him :P

i think there should be a function like #train [playername] and when you do it it will grab 1k gold from your inventory and make you attack him for 30 min

and it doesnt let any other player attack you but he needs to #train [playername] at you and lose 1k for this to work...

Edited by Chimeran Wolf

Could the problem of arena usage be partially addressed by making it a permanent no-drop-day in them? You could still be attacked while training, but the risk would be less. And people who want to truely fight (not just train) could continue to use the various PK maps.

"About arenas, from CEL site and fellow guildie"

How does this tie into the CEL site? I don't get it?

well at least they can do that at the arenas tagged as "training" arena such as the one in nordcarn good idea bkc56

Could the problem of arena usage be partially addressed by making it a permanent no-drop-day in them? You could still be attacked while training, but the risk would be less. And people who want to truely fight (not just train) could continue to use the various PK maps.

This has been suggested a zillion times. :evilgrin: The answer is no. The whole point is that in order to get the huge benefit of pvp exp, you MUST take the risk as well.

you should've went somewhere not as populate and at least brought a diss thats ur fault and no if we didn't have pk arenas then we would have arguements more often over who is better

omg wtf is up with you people?

as it is this game has 10000% more warning than other games, is any other game you play there are areas where you just die, no reason that you can see..

at leats on this game you get a CLEAR warning about a pk map.

If you dont want to get pkd, pvp in a less crowded area, or dont pvp at all.

why are people so whiny about risks and things that they can EASILY prevent?

Because they didn't know any better obviously

The "Arenas" are more dangerous than most Pk maps except KF.

Edited by Sweettea

as it is this game has 10000% more warning than other games, is any other game you play there are areas where you just die, no reason that you can see..

Amen!

This is a game, it has risks and pitfalls - if you don't like either of those, don't participate in the dynamics of them.

Or! They can just not be newbies and lose their first steel chains etc that they perobably worked hard for! Just join the game already knowing what's what. :D

Couldn't say it better.

You want to have quick and easy xp without any risk... Man... don't be too lazy and comfortable.

Amen!

This is a game, it has risks and pitfalls - if you don't like either of those, don't participate in the dynamics of them.

does every pk area carry the warning?

ok,first off, i think that PK areas are great things.

even though there are some newb killers there, it is like 100 times safer to train in an arena then in a PK map like KF (especially for noobs)

i suppose it wouldent hurt is some people had better ethics about PKing, but that will never happen.

arenas are probbly the best thing to ever happen to newbs who want to train, and if you die now and then, well, thats the risk you take for the (much better) exp. and if you were there to PK anyway...well...what are you complaining about. i say this because i know some noobs who think that just because they are n00bs they are safe PKing in arenas.

just my point of view

1st

arenas are probbly the best thing to ever happen to newbs who want to train

No, the best are monsters, there you gain the drops and good att/def exp.

And there are *plenty of monsters* at lower levels, the problem appears when you got high when there are very few. Come on, 3 des chim spawns for 20 people or so training?

At lower levels pvp are very risky, you gain low exp (ye, you read it right, low exp), expensive (you lose lots of stuff and gain no drop) and stressing. Much better to stay on monster.

I think that the PK pits in Idaloran mines don't give warnings when you enter them... neither the PK rings in Trassian school of fighting (but well it's quite obvious it's pk in those)... the others are ok

I think that the PK pits in Idaloran mines don't give warnings when you enter them... neither the PK rings in Trassian school of fighting (but well it's quite obvious it's pk in those)... the others are ok

Yeah you're right there. But all PK areas *should* give a warning. And if it doesn't then its a bug.