Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
pennifuin

Magic Nexuses and the Future of Magic.

From what people have said on Bear's thread about the Earthquake spell, i have had a few ideas.

I think it would be good to use Magic nexi (pl.?) for higher level spells. It makes sense afterall. P/C/W are all fighter orientated attributes governing Matter, Dexterity, Toughness etc etc. Apart from Ethereality, the mages (if it is implimented so one could actually BE a stand alone wizard/mage) are kind of left out in terms of character development; not having many options to put their Pick Points on. The fighters use P/C to fight better, we need something to help cast spells better!

I see the magic nexus as a good way to develop the mage as a 'stand alone' class. At the moment, a fighter is able to wield his/her tools of the trade (weaopons/armours) by apointing human nexi. I find it bizarre how mages have to wait to level before using their tools of trade ie. their spells.

Incorporating high magic nexuses for high spells would be a novel way of developing the mage class away from the structure of the fighting, highlighting the diference between the two styles of fighting. The pp's mages dont spend on P/c would go onto Magc Nexus, enabling the mage to not only perform higher grade spells, but also inflict more damage/heal more mp/be more succesful spell caster, because, at the moment, the only thing governing that, is skill level. (roleplay: more magic nexi, the higher your grasp of the magic skill is)

As a spell, i think earthquake is a marvelous idea, and could be an addition to the spell repitoire as one of 4 (or more?) elemental spells (for earth, wind, water, fire.) I think its a more imaginitive way of incorporating elements instead of having 'Earth Blast' or something rudimentary like that, which doesnt actually capture the essence of the element. Maybe a consideration for the future?

I have kind of lost my way, so please rip apart, discuss and enjoy. I would apreciate a lack fo flame.

I think most people agree that would be cool if there was some ways of roleplaying wizards.

But i dare to disagree with your proposed solution. I still think magic nexus should be used for production of magic itens. The useful itens of crafting, magic swords (and in the future summoning stones) are already using it, so its far from unused.

In my humble opinion using perks, as was suggested (by me) before would be more suitable for this game. Why? Because it would add more diversity to the game. Today there are many twin fighters, all using the same p/c/w distribution, same armor, same weapons, etc.

Chosing the perks which is more suitable to your style of playing or personal preferences would be far more interesting than a bunch of twin mages which just spent magic nexus in the same way.

I think most people agree that would be cool if there was some ways of roleplaying wizards.

But i dare to disagree with your proposed solution. I still think magic nexus should be used for production of magic itens. The useful itens of crafting, magic swords (and in the future summoning stones) are already using it, so its far from unused.

In my humble opinion using perks, as was suggested (by me) before would be more suitable for this game. Why? Because it would add more diversity to the game. Today there are many twin fighters, all using the same p/c/w distribution, same armor, same weapons, etc.

Chosing the perks which is more suitable to your style of playing or personal preferences would be far more interesting than a bunch of twin mages which just spent magic nexus in the same way.

in all fairness this is just an interesting idea to expand the magic skill, you're entitled to your opinion. Perks that are based highly upon chance are not a good way to develop a character...IMHO. i understand you will stand by your idea as am i :P but once more diverse spells are added, yes mages will have similar levels and attributes/nexuses, but their actual style of fighting will vary greatly, if of course magic is handled in such a way that diversity is achievable (unlike fighting today with limited items/armours and tactics). I mention tactics as it will play a far more important part to play in a magicians skill than a mele orientated character - spell choice, how they use the spell (ie using tptr away from enemies to avoid conflict, then hitting with earthquake etc) as apposed to the gung-ho go in swingin aproach fighters have.

Yes, spell variety is a good thing, probably everyone agrees. But i dont think it should be related with nexus, of course you are entitled to your opinion.

Positive perks are cool because it would show a focus in certain areas, so you would be able to roleplay different kinds of spellcasters, and this kind of chars would be far more diversified. To use nexus instead is just a way to kill this kind of choices and variety and just add boredom while planning the construction of the char.

Incorporating high magic nexuses for high spells...
One point I was trying to get across in the Earthquake thread was:

High-nexus should not imply a high-difficulty (skill level) task!

Nexus and skills are seperate character properties. If we just assume one tracks the other we lose a considerable degree of flexibility and choice in character development.

I deliberately tried to describe the hypothetical "Earthquake" spell as a low-level, high-nexus magic; invoking raw elemental power did not require great skill, but does require someone "attune" with magical powers.

It doesn't matter if you disagree with this interpretation of the spell -- that is not the point.

My personal view here is that nexus are underused and the system suffers for it; they should be treated on equal terms as other attributes, and have equivalent expected values; representing non-physical or mental characteristics, magical affinity, cultural sophistication, and so on.

Yes, you'd have to spend more on nexus and less on that huge P/C, but so would everyone else -- its purely a matter of expectation.

But it should still be a valid role not to take any nexus; the barbarian who chooses instead to develop high physique and rely in primative armour and weapons. This means that at high skill levels, there are still new tasks to try which do not require any nexus.

Maybe a reason why people dislike the nexus system is because it is compulsory; you get to high levels, you must take more nexus to do new things. Making it a genuine option instead should give it a better reputation
:P

Perhaps one problem is that there isn't a clear definition of what nexus represent, other than a game-mechanism?

More technical description: A matrix of (nexus, skill) requirements should be uniformly populated by tasks.

Edited by trollson

maybe instead of those perks we should get the nexuses like trollson and pennifuin we should have some new attributes that help out the mages like one can give earthiality and might cause might you need for high carry load so you can carry lots of essences and maybe charm for something in the future. maybe but i dont know im just trying to help todays el mages

Bear

actually trollson, i was trying to present what i thought was a good way forward as apposed to where teh discussion on the other thread had got to...

maybe instead of those perks we should get the nexuses like trollson and pennifuin we should have some new attributes that help out the mages like one can give earthiality and might cause might you need for high carry load so you can carry lots of essences and maybe charm for something in the future. maybe but i dont know im just trying to help todays el mages

Bear

Thats a very fair point, why cant we replace the unused cross attributes with positive ones for mage? i they are already there...unused, just rename and allocate.... It would make sense using the attributes less used by the fighters to compensate for the full spectrum of players, Fighters on one end, Mages on teh other, floaters and indescisive people in the middle (at varying degrees of bias towards either fighter or mage.)

at the moment it would be using:

reasoning---------will---------instinct---------vitality.

Rationality

Etheareality

Charm(unused)

Perception(unused)

charm is a product of vitality and instinct,

perception is a product of instinct an reasoning....

could be changed to...i dont know, any ideas?

Edited by pennifuin