Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

Disposable armor

After this update, I would like to work a little bit at a new idea I have: Disposable armors (and possibly weapons too).

The idea is to have (manufacture) cheap armors, with very good defense, but with a very high break rate.

For example, we can have a leather torso that blocks twice as much damage than the standard leather torso, takes more leather to manufacture, but the chances for it to break are like 20 times higher than the normal leather torso, which has an already high break rate.

This would be good for the fighters and for the newbie manufacturers, because they would be able to sell their armor to the fighters (a constant supply would be needed, as it deteriorates very fast).

So, what do you think?

It seems that it would cost more than just buying better armor that will last longer. Does not seem economical for fighters, especially since they would need to carry at least 2 on them incase one breaks.

You say cheap armors but if it costs twice as much in ingredients to buy then a normal armor how is it cheap? (or will this only apply to leather armors)

Sounds a good idea though, it is hard for manu'ers to sell anything in bulk to anyone other thank trik.

EG

I think that is wonderfull idea!

I like more different armors. But I think this should be very well tweaked, otherwise the costs for an armor could be too high in comparison with the breaking rate. But I can only give a positive reply to this :D

Thats a good idea i think. higher break rate but more powerful...would be good while training on harder creatures ...but you need to be more careful since it breaks more easier..

Edited by Chimeran Wolf

You say cheap armors but if it costs twice as much in ingredients to buy then a normal armor how is it cheap? (or will this only apply to leather armors)

Sounds a good idea though, it is hard for manu'ers to sell anything in bulk to anyone other thank trik.

EG

Well, duh.

Of course I am not going to make disposable titanium plate. Only for leather armor.

How cheap are we talkin here, I mean if it takes more materials, how are manuers gonna make profit?

I think the idea is great, but im not sure that there will be a big demand for these 'disposable'

armors. why will a fighter get one when he can merely buy a better armor for a little more that will last 20 times longer? there will have to be a pretty big upside to these armors if its gonna work.

but aside from that..i like the general idea alot!

1st (but most of the time last) warrior

I like the idea in general. It doesn't have to be cheaper than normal leather armour. May be a bit more expensive.

What will be needed is the balance: ingredients(price)/additional armour.

:thumb up:

The idea is ok, but it would better if there was simply a random chance to make them, and they they did not break faster. It would take less work to implement, and would have a similar result.

Incresing the current breakage rates would do the exact same thing.

Edited by Mr.Mind

Would the leather eventually be something that can be made from say animal skins or would it remain something that can only be bought? That might have a bit to do with how popular the armor is for the manufactuers to make.

Just a thought.

Phawn

Or possibly have it degrade to regular leather to offset the increased price, like you beat the extra padding off it or something. Just a thought.

Obviously, there will be quite a bit of tuning involved. It will most likely take whatever ingredents the leather armor takes, plus one iron bar, and it will be as good as the titanium chain mail, but will have a break rate of perhaps 5%.

The idea is some people don't have enough money to buy the best armor, and this kind of armor would be good for training or for those trying to take out monsters over their level.

The idea is nice. It will give players who are still training on "low to med" monsters/creatures some extra padding but... the higher you get the faster the leather items break. For instance, for every 40 armed male gobs you kill you will most likeyly loose 1 pair of leather pants/boots. So 2 gobs would degrade your nice and shiny new boots which cost more in a few minutes.

Also... even if you have a leather armor with double the stats, it will still not help against pk-ers who are lvl60+ and can 1-4 hit almost anyone.

Just my 2 cents

Really dont think the demand will be too great and effort of implimentation may not outweigh the benefit. Think it works better with top equipment so some can afford, but dont care for the idea as it stands. Maybe tuning will sway my opinoin...

Deadhead

Edited by captdeadhead