Eternal Lands Official Forums
Thordin

Advanced combat medallions

Hey, i already said this in another thread. ^_^

But, there are a moon medallion and a sun medallion, why not a sunny_moon med?

Sunny_moon medallion:

Ingreds: 1 gold medallion, 1 silver medallion, 1 polished sapphire, 1 EME, 1 binding stone, 10 fes.

Nexus Required: 5 Artificial 5 Magic.

Food cost:-36

Required Skill: crafting 50, magic 40

Gives you +3 of attack, +3 of accuracy and +3 of armor bonus.

It would be elite. :( What you think?

Hey, i already said this in another thread. ^_^

But, there are a moon medallion and a sun medallion, why not a sunny_moon med?

Sunny_moon medallion:

Ingreds: 1 gold medallion, 1 silver medallion, 1 polished sapphire, 1 EME, 1 binding stone, 10 fes.

Nexus Required: 5 Artificial 5 Magic.

Food cost:-36

Required Skill: crafting 50, magic 40

Gives you +3 of attack, +3 of accuracy and +3 of armor bonus.

It would be elite. :( What you think?

Lol, I was thinking it was a joke back then...

I though sunny_moon is a scammer and DonPedro summoner :icon13:

Anyway, let's please stick to original topic, okay?

Edited by ThordinElement

I do like the idea of bringing more meds to the game, I like when there are alot choises.

Need a med that gives +2 acc +2 dmg +2 def, +2 armor, Then you have all the stats other meds got, in one Medallion. Moon/Uni/Star/Sun Meds + Binding stone + some enriched ess ? Would be cool :brooding:

should call it smooms med to remember your legacy cause whenever we thought we knew your stats they were higher

I do like the idea of bringing more meds to the game, I like when there are alot choises.

Need a med that gives +2 acc +2 dmg +2 def, +2 armor, Then you have all the stats other meds got, in one Medallion. Moon/Uni/Star/Sun Meds + Binding stone + some enriched ess ? Would be cool :)

should call it smooms med to remember your legacy cause whenever we thought we knew your stats they were higher

Anyway, let's please stick to original topic, okay?

Do I made myself incomprehensible gentlemen? :brooding:

Edited by ThordinElement

Sunny_moon is not a good idea because it gives no room for strategy. It's simply the replacement, not addition to current medallions. Think balanced. If you have something powerful, you need to keep a room for some weak spots, otherwise, people would use only sunny_moon and all other jewelry would turn into expensive junk. Think about that, that would kill all fun. Being all but weak cuts all the joy, you would soon get bored and demanding another even more powerful artifact. Fun is of the utmost importance!

Think balanced.

Well said Thordin, I couldn't agree more! This is something which is so often neglected in suggestions (particularly the "wodnt it b cool/eliet/..." ones <sigh>).

I hope the 'sunny_moon' was suggested ironically, but you can never tell on these forums!

Any item which has no better in any context creates a global maxima towards which all characters migrate. Player choices are reduced, and the game becomes less interesting.

How does adding a new item reduce player choice? Choice is not just about the number of options, but the value of those options.

Pros and cons, locks and keys, scissor-paper-rock :sneaky:

lolz do the godless ppl get an advantage too?

Godless people already got an advantage gaining 8 free pickpoints.

Also, there are a summoning only monster, which can only be summoned by the followers of the summoning god, so its perfectly fair to have itens usable only by the followers of other gods or similar bonuses.

I don't agree about the godless advantage.

I think it can be an advantage for low-medium players but not for high level players (aka established

players). I payed the fee for my choice so, if a player can get a certain lvl, can be right to introduce an

evil way for godless players.

Why not to have items only for godless, at certain high levels so to discourage all the cheaters?

A follower get only +... +exp +items +all.

The godless get always the same tall story of 8 free pp.

P.S. this isn't a post vs Lorck, but vs an unjust game system

That was merely an idea almost not connected with new medallions. I too would want to see those medallions for all, not just for worshippers. As we are getting little off-topic on whether these medallions should or should not be for god followers only. Let's please stick to original idea of the thread by discussing those new medallions suggested and the things directly connected with those, such as ingredients, attributes and so on...

Note: But to the system, negative perks should be REALLY NEGATIVE, not just free pickpoints for someone not interested in particular aspect of the game. But this opinion is my personal and it has nothing to do with those medallions suggested.

I once was godless, i realised that was the worst perk, because it can prevent you from gaining nice exp while training (or mixing rings and pants, that what i was doing at the time, if i recall correctly). So i decided i dont wanted it anymore and resetted.

Btw we could use some of the new ores to make meds with, instead of using silver meds :sneaky:

Ye, very nice idea.

We could also use an alloy of silver and gold metals to produce meds. Of course, the above sunny_moon med was a joke, but an alloy of silver and gold to produce meds or rings is also a good idea, in my humble oppinion. :D

Good idea about the new metal bars used in jewelry. But silver/gold alloy is not as good idea as it may seems. And what would be the name of the alloy? (I know that this alloy is used in jewelly as 14/18 carat gold, means that alloy contain 14/18 gold units of 24, the rest is silver, but this is different). But there is a planned metals such as copper and tin, why not make bronze alloy instead? (The problem is, when do these ore come in game). I cannot explain it precisely, but gold/silver alloy seems a bit wierd here IMHO.

Ah, the gold-silver alloy is Electrum. Anyone familier with the original AD&D may remember 'eps', electrum coins.

But bronze and copper jewelry is fine, and there is no reason not to have iron and titanium jewelry (I know people with titanium rings). For that matter, where does the platinum come from?...

But why limit it to metals? Bone or horn jewelry, carved wood, any material which could be crafted. Especially when considering magical properties, there doesn't have to be a correlation with a valuable metal.

Although I appreciate your suggestions and ideas trollson, I am a bit conservative. I like precious metals and gems in crafting (I am a dwarf after all :)). As for other metals, I have ring from surgical steel in RL, no problem of having titanium or steel jewelry there. Bone or horn jewelry is another issue though, more tribal and more specific, I am not sure if everyone in game liked it (PKers yes for sure, amulets made from the bone of the defeated :D). But I do disagree on wood. I do not like to see combination of high magic and carved wood (unless it rare wood like ebony or cedar).

There are others alloys of silver and gold, electrum is just an alloy which occur naturally. Of course, electrum and other silver/gold alloys were used in several civilizations as well as in medieval fantasy settings like AD&D, as Trollson pointed.

There are other materials who can used to make jewels, like marble, quartz (unused for jewelry in this game), agata, jade, pearl, topaz, turquoise, etc. Maybe we can have some new minerals in adition to the new ores in the future? :D

There are others alloys of silver and gold, electrum is just an alloy which occur naturally. Of course, electrum and other silver/gold alloys were used in several civilizations as well as in medieval fantasy settings like AD&D, as Trollson pointed.

There are other materials who can used to make jewels, like marble, quartz (unused for jewelry in this game), agata, jade, pearl, topaz, turquoise, etc. Maybe we can have some new minerals in adition to the new ores in the future? :D

There will be, at least turqoise, cinnabar, obsidian and amber. But who know when...

Barbed necklace:

Gold medallion, 2 polished diamonds, 10 AE, 1 EME

When you got hit, there is 15% chance of dealing 5-11 damage to your opponent, substracts 10 of your maximal matter points

Volcanic amulet:

Gold medallion, 1 polished ruby, 5 FE, 2 EFE, 1 binding stone

Adds 4-8 heat damage to your hits, +4 heat protection, -2 radiation protection

Glacial talisman:

Silver medallion, 1 polished sapphire, 5 WE, 1 EWE, 1 binding stone

Adds 3-9 cold damage to your hits, +4 cold protection, -2 heat protection

These ones are good ingredients wise cos they are pretty strong but other 1's, the ingredients are too expensive to bother with them.

Barbed necklace:

When you got hit, there is 15% chance of dealing 5-11 damage to your opponent, substracts 10 of your maximal matter points

Volcanic amulet:

Glacial talisman:

These ones are good ingredients wise cos they are pretty strong but other 1's, the ingredients are too expensive to bother with them.

Too expensive? You can make them for ~5k, and it got nice stats like with the heat damage, add that to a thermal serp and you have very cool stats, I think it's worth the 5k :P

I think guidera meant the last two ones

Barbed necklace:

Volcanic amulet:

Glacial talisman:

Glowstone jewel:

Gold medallion, 1 polished emerald, 5 Earth E, 3 ELE, 1 binding stone

Adds 2-10 radiation damage to your hits, +2 radiation protection

Eagle-eye trinket:

Silver medallion, 1 silver bar, 2 polished diamonds, 1 EWE, 1 binding stone

+8 accuracy, -2 damage

Armadillo's splinter

Gold medallion, 1 gold bar, 2 polished rubies, 4 ELE, 1 binding stone

+8 armor, -2 accuracy

Let me do maths: silver/gold bar @ 35gc, 2 polsihed diamond/rubies @ 70/35gc, 1 EWE/4 ELE @ 5k, 1 binding stone @ 2k

What do you see too expensive? +8 accuracy or +8 armor are big bonuses, worth for ingreds of slighly over 7kgc IMHO.

Edited by ThordinElement

Oh lol yeah sorry, btw 7k isn't big money for those stats, you better check the stats of an iron plate and compare it those meds and price :P

I hope it is not giving out a secret or spoiler, if it is, I apologize and please delete my post.

You want a comparision?

Titanium shield has +8 armor and it will cost approx 33kgc

Armadillo's splinter would have have +8 armor and -2 accuracy for 7kgc

So, I am keeping it rather low IMO, or is -2 accuracy worth 26kgc?

But I do disagree on wood. I do not like to see combination of high magic and carved wood (unless it rare wood like ebony or cedar).

Ah, Dwarves and their Xylophobia :P I was thinking of 'druidic' jewelry or totems, which wood be from specific trees, and possibly of more interest to Elves and other hippies.

Incidentally, rings have been made out of jade and amber, even in cultures with a metal working traditions. Bone and horn have been carves into ornaments to the present day, and as totems and wards would make a good basis for medallions.

But in EL, there are no specific trees (yet) and we are now rather discussing about historical issues than discussing that, which matters. Although I like talking about various resources used in magical rituals and cultures, I'd like to know, if you are comfortable with my suggestion about those six would-be medallions.

I tried to balance the ratio between the gold and silver ones, so now we would have five medallions of each kind, I find it necessary, because noone uses sun medallions anymore and making gold medallions is a waste of resources. I think it is also wise to broaden usage of binding stones and to put some use to EWE and EME which weren't much used if at all until now, but honestly, how many ice or magic swords do you make daily?

Rather than making up new alloy and metals, why not give further use of current ones?

(I said that before, I am conservative being :blink:)

We would have two groups of medallions as we have two groups of armor now. We have relatively cheap armor vastly used on training commonly combined with iron helm, steel chainmail, steel shield, leather pants and leather boots, and expensive one, combined of parts of iron plate mail. So we could have two groups of medallions as well.

One cheap, where you can find moon and unicorn medallion used a lot (we could also tweak stars and sun medallion a bit to give them another chance), and the expensive group of would-be medallions suggested above. I think, it sounds fair enough.

The only think I am absolutely unsure of are the level recommendations (something between 50 and 70) and nexi required (probably artificial 5 and magic 5 or 6?). The values may differ a bit, but the original idea is likely to be maintained if possible. Food used is 40.

EDIT: typos

ADD-ON: eek, this topic is sinking down the suggestion forum ladder :omg:

Edited by ThordinElement