Eternal Lands Official Forums

A friend of mine (he's an environmentalist and not playing) and I came up with the following idea:

Brown Day

On Brown Day, the environment has suffered from the constant depletion of resources that occurs due to harvesting/mining. Consequently, the sustainability of resources is limited. Practical implication: Each location for a resource (eg. this particular RSD bush) has a limit as to how many times it can be harvested during brown day. When that limit is met, the bush cannot be harvested again until after the day is over. This would require people to travel the lands and seek additional places to harvest. On green day, you can't harvest, and most people just fight or manufactur. On brown day, you can harvest, but how much you can harvest is limited (not by you, but by the resource). Would be a "preserve your environment day" like green day but one that has the positive side effect that players will become more familiar with maps. People would explore maps that they don't usually go to, including maps that don't have storage. Thoughts?

lilbear

On Brown Day, the environment has suffered from the constant depletion of resources that occurs due to harvesting/mining. Consequently, the sustainability of resources is limited. Practical implication: Each location for a resource (eg. this particular RSD bush) has a limit as to how many times it can be harvested during brown day. When that limit is met, the bush cannot be harvested again until after the day is over. This would require people to travel the lands and seek additional places to harvest. On green day, you can't harvest, and most people just fight or manufactur. On brown day, you can harvest, but how much you can harvest is limited (not by you, but by the resource). Would be a "preserve your environment day" like green day but one that has the positive side effect that players will become more familiar with maps. People would explore maps that they don't usually go to, including maps that don't have storage. Thoughts?

The idea is interesting but I'm not sure that it will really encourage players to explore maps if a spot is finished. On green day, like you said, people go fight and I think that the same thing will happen here...

But, maybe we can add a little effect to force people seek other spots. For example, what about removing the exp limit on such a day? :confused:

On Brown Day, ... Each location for a resource (eg. this particular RSD bush) has a limit as to how many times it can be harvested ...
This is an awful lot of additional information that the server has to keep track of to implement this one day. There are (tens of?) thousands of harvestable objects across the maps; each one would need its own record for how much is left to be harvested from it.

This is an awful lot of additional information that the server has to keep track of to implement this one day. There are (tens of?) thousands of harvestable objects across the maps; each one would need its own record for how much is left to be harvested from it.
What do you mean exactly? Are you speaking of memory or CPU resource? In both cases, I don't think it should be too expansive but only Entropy will be able to confirm that...

trollson: This is an awful lot of additional information...

What do you mean exactly? Are you speaking of memory or CPU resource?

This could add state information for every map object in the game. Are there unused fields available for this?

If it is limited to just the harvestable objects, then you need to implement an association between the new data record and the map object. This record needs to be updated and checked for each harvest attempt.

These things are not impossible, and personally I would like more on-map state information (see the topic in my sig), but I don't believe the suggested day is anything like the justification to do it.

Edited by trollson

An easy solution for the brown day would be to double or triple the rec level for all harvests, so that for mostly anybody, harvesting will be possible, but so slow it will be discouraging.

Bal

Well, I'm open to amending the idea if it's too complicated for the server this way. It could also be that each person can only harvest up to a certain POINT amount that day (per day, not per hour). I just think that people should get the underlying environmental point, namely, that thoughtlessly mining/harvesting thousands of flowers is not actually good for mother nature, which is why she gets upset.

Edit: Another idea would be that on brown day, certain types of harvestables are unavailable, like, one time, no flowers, another time no minerals, another time no ores. I don't know what implications this has technically, just trying to focus people consciousness more. In reality, if you mined some ore the way we do in game, the mine would go dry at some point. A flower bush would die from overharvesting.

Edited by LilBear

Harvesting right next to tigers in SR atm, I imagined how life would become hell on earth if they suddenly started to attack. This would be near day of apocalypse (day of anger would sound nice too). Is this in the pipeline already?

Harvesting right next to tigers in SR atm, I imagined how life would become hell on earth if they suddenly started to attack. This would be near day of apocalypse (day of anger would sound nice too). Is this in the pipeline already?

No, at least I highly doubt it and hope it isn't. I am not interested in listening to newbies scream that the can't complete the tutorial quest because bears, boars, wolves, puma, deer are killing them in WS. And it likewise prevents lilac harvesting in VotD. Restricting everyone that can't kill a grizzly to IP for a whole day is a bad idea. (note-I can kill a grizzly with few problems, so all it would mean to me was that I have to stay out of maps with tigers)

--Duck2

prevents lilac harvesting in VotD. Restricting everyone that can't kill a grizzly to IP for a whole day is a bad idea. (note-I can kill a grizzly with few problems, so all it would mean to me was that I have to stay out of maps with tigers)

surely those attacks could be done so, that an animal randomly becomes angry, depending on map, and you still have the time to flee or do something else. it's almost no difference to other days (e.g. fasting day) when you're restricted to a few actions only. it surely would make the game less static...

Creatures on strike day :

Desc :

Monsters and animals are kind of groggy and bored today. They need a break and won't even notice what happens around them.

Effect :

Monsters will ignore everybody (like if everybody has MM), but players can still attack them.

Bal

Hey,

i posted this before but i didnt see this day idea section, and i didnt get a reply on my other one so here they are

They are both positive!

Day of Cooldown:

Good for manufacturing, alching and potioning. Halve the time of the original cooldown time.

I haven't thought of any role-play for this one.

Day of drops:

On this day all monsters drop more gold coins and the chance of a weapon or armour is greater.

Role-play: The monsters have found a secret treasure stash from the pirates. They are rich!

well at least they are postive haha,

Elandor

Hey,

i posted this before but i didnt see this day idea section, and i didnt get a reply on my other one so here they are

Elandor

Might help if you read the forum suggestion rules as well before posting :)

> Suggestions Forum Rules.

Read before posting!

1. Do a search or read previous posts BEFORE making a suggestion in this forum! "Suggestions" that are repeats, already being worked on, or are already ingame WILL be deleted.

2. Make a descriptive title for your thread! Do not use something like "read this". Instead write out what your thread is about!

Also be aware that even though the developers don't have time to respond to every single post here, doesn't mean that they don't read them or take them into consideration.

All Eternal Lands forum rules still apply.

Just thought of this, might just be funny :devlish:

Name: Day of General Experience? (don't have a name, just read desc.)

Role-Play: Figure something out

Description: Today all experience gathered is overall experience only. When you fight, harvest, cast, or use the manufacturing window, you will only receive overall experience and nothing will be gained by your other skills.

It's negative btw ^^

-- Cyp

Day of instant doom:

Roleplay:The scientists were working on a newly-discovered element when the core part of the element exploded creating a wave of radiation to our lands, luckily Isla Prima and indoors in maps haven't been affected.

Day Description: As a result every minute you spend outside the places that aren't affected, you will lose 15 HP. All maps except Isla Prima and indoors are now PK. All effects will be over in 6 hours.

My day idea :) if the PK thing cannot be done then;

Day of instant doom:

Roleplay:The scientists were working on a newly-discovered element when the core part of the element exploded creating a wave of radiation to our lands, luckily Isla Prima and indoors in maps haven't been affected.

Day Description: As a result every minute you spend outside the places that aren't affected, you will lose 15 HP.

Hot Day / Cold Day

Today its very hot or cold. +
n
points of hot or cold damage per minute while outside, in addition to regular environmental effects. Choose your armour with care.

RP:
Its a hot/cold day today. It happens. No need to invoke the will of the gods about it, just get a hat.

Thoughts:

• Would a +0 hot/cold damage per minute trigger clothing/armour heat/cold damage modifiers? This depends on how environmental hot/cold damage is handled on the server.
  • Can we take both hot and cold damage at the same time? Think of how a hot day affects an arctic area. A hot day should really make a cold place more habitable.

These days dropped out of the "New Special Day" thread.

I know it's easy (and I guess fun) to come up with bad #day ideas (new ways to die, new ways to loose items, etc). But I feel we have more than enough bad #day as it is now. I wish people would work a little harder at being imaginative and come up with some good #day ideas that people would enjoy but wouldn't be SO good that the developers would veto them.

I know it's easy (and I guess fun) to come up with bad #day ideas (new ways to die, new ways to loose items, etc). But I feel we have more than enough bad #day as it is now. I wish people would work a little harder at being imaginative and come up with some good #day ideas that people would enjoy but wouldn't be SO good that the developers would veto them.

Do you have any positive #day suggestions?

Day of Silence

RPG: Today the gods of Draia are having a headache after a long and "exhausting" party. Therefore they made all mortals deaf and unable to speak.

English: Today you cannot speak in local chat, channels. You still can use PMs and #gm chat.

Very good day, imo.

<edit>

Do NOT ask why this day is positive. Believe me, it is.

Edited by Anshar

Back in November '06 I proposed the no-rost day by PM to Entropy as a way to test out old-school PK and if people would like it. But I don't know if I was the first to suggest it, or if everyone considers it to be good.

Again, I don't know if it's original, but since we have a bad day were all failures are critical, I'd like to see a good day where no failures are critical (you never loose the ingredients). But I don't know if that would be considered TO good of a day.

Since no-break day doesn't include tools (only weapons), a "day of no tool breakage" would seem an obvious suggestion (don't recall if I've seen it, or just the comments about tool not included).

As an extension of the above, a "day of no vial breakage" (a throw-back to the days before they started breaking) might be nice, and not to good of a day (a few extra vials isn't going to destroy the economy).

Day of Silence

RPG: Today the gods of Draia are having a headache after a long and "exhausting" party. Therefore they made all mortals deaf and unable to speak.

English: Today you cannot speak in local chat, channels. You still can use PMs and #gm chat.

Very good day, imo.

<edit>

Do NOT ask why this day is positive. Believe me, it is.

Zomg! believe it or not I've always had such a day idea in my mind.

Full moon day (or rather night).

Effect: The full moon is making the animals go insane. They (monsters && animals) attack everyone, no matter of their att/def/etc. Exception is those with mm perk.

The effect would only work during the night hours.

Would be a fun day imo :)

Full moon day (or rather night).

Effect: The full moon is making the animals go insane. They (monsters && animals) attack everyone, no matter of their att/def/etc. Exception is those with mm perk.

The effect would only work during the night hours.

Would be a fun day imo :)

Gah! It's bad enough it affects the players!!! :)