Eternal Lands Official Forums
DarthCarter

perl bot skeleton ?

Hi,

before I write one myself, I thought I'd ask if there is a bot

skeleton written in perl floating around ?

If not I'll start writing one and make it available once it's

semi-functional

cheers

Hi,

semi-functional

cheers

I was looking around for different bot implementations a while ago because I was thinking about a perl bot too. I didn't find a perl implementation and finally decided to go for a different language because perl SDL lacks SDL_net support, and I thought that at least that part should be provided by the language.

Maybe that has changed in the meanwhile, please keep us informed :-)

Cheers,

maj

Hi,

semi-functional

cheers

I was looking around for different bot implementations a while ago because I was thinking about a perl bot too. I didn't find a perl implementation and finally decided to go for a different language because perl SDL lacks SDL_net support, and I thought that at least that part should be provided by the language.

Maybe that has changed in the meanwhile, please keep us informed :-)

Cheers,

maj

I'm not sure what the SDL_net stuff provides - I'm hoping it's just a socket functions etc,

which aren't that difficult in perl, anyway I'll post when I have something non-trivial

working

cheers

A bot skeliton? I'm not even sure that's allowed, but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

EDIT: wait, by skeliton, do you mean Partly-writen-bot, or a bot program thats a skeliton in game?

Edited by Jaxbot

A bot skeliton? I'm not even sure that's allowed, but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

EDIT: wait, by skeliton, do you mean Partly-writen-bot, or a bot program thats a skeliton in game?

the code has nothing to do with the account. skeleton, of course, refers to the 'bare bones' of a bot. it doesn't do much except log in, but it's ready for you to add handlers for commands and such

as for the networking... you can implement your own easily enough. perl sockets are easy to deal with, you'll just need some special work to deal with binary data (if the server wants a Uint8 stream and you send a perl string, you may have issues)

the code has nothing to do with the account. skeleton, of course, refers to the 'bare bones' of a bot. it doesn't do much except log in, but it's ready for you to add handlers for commands and such

as for the networking... you can implement your own easily enough. perl sockets are easy to deal with, you'll just need some special work to deal with binary data (if the server wants a Uint8 stream and you send a perl string, you may have issues)

Yep - I meant the bare bones of a bot minus this bits that do anything usefull.

Binary data is easy - pack and unpack are your friends ;-)

Oh, ok. Sorry, I tought you were trying to make a Real Skeliton ingame, and I don't think animals are allowed :wub:

Ok, that makes a little more sense. :hug:

Binary data is easy - pack and unpack are your friends ;-)
aye, just a matter of remembering to always use it. some people around :wub: would probably forget and try to send perl-type integers and strings

Oh, ok. Sorry, I tought you were trying to make a Real Skeliton ingame, and I don't think animals are allowed :hug:

Ok, that makes a little more sense. :hehe:

a bot is an automated player, with extra restrictions and a flag to change the name colour. how would bot code set it to a monster type?

it's not like skeleton/framework is a little-used term in coding either...

Edited by ttlanhil

Ethereal is your friend for debugging and reverse engeneering the packets. First capture you useing the real client then program your bot and get it to send messages exactly like the captured data.

Ethereal is your friend for debugging and reverse engeneering the packets. First capture you useing the real client then program your bot and get it to send messages exactly like the captured data.

Yep - hopefully less traumatic than debugging firewalls with 3 simulatenous

tcpdump logs ;-)

Just look at the client implementation or other bot implementations to see what's going on. Where is the sense in reverse engineering a program you have to sources for? ;-)

Just look at the client implementation or other bot implementations to see what's going on. Where is the sense in reverse engineering a program you have to sources for? ;-)
it's not as silly as it sounds. sure, if you can read ELC's source to get most of it done, it's probably easier, but what about when something just isn't coming out right? maybe you have an offset or length or something wrong. checking with ethereal to make sure you're getting exactly the same in elc and your bot rules out everything up to message parsing

it's not as silly as it sounds. sure, if you can read ELC's source to get most of it done, it's probably easier, but what about when something just isn't coming out right? maybe you have an offset or length or something wrong. checking with ethereal to make sure you're getting exactly the same in elc and your bot rules out everything up to message parsing

Yep, both are just ways of getting more information and correlating what you *think*

is happening in the code.

I have looked at a php bot, the official client code and packet dumps - and after a flurry

of endian errors, off-by-one problems, pack/unpack stuff-ups and caffeine saturation

have got the test server to have a simple conversation with me ;-)

I have looked at a php bot, the official client code and packet dumps - and after a flurry of endian errors, off-by-one problems, pack/unpack stuff-ups and caffeine saturation have got the test server to have a simple conversation with me ;-)

Hehehe. \o/

That sounds *sooooo* familiar that I love it.

Well done, if you need some help from someone who doesn't know any perl (But is trying to learn) just ask.

I'm involved in the java side so i've probly found some of the same problems.

I am deep in perl for my work, so I might be able to field questions as well.

Thanks for the offers (dns_server as well), I'm pretty comfortable in perl, but

have one perl and one EL related question.

1. Do you know how to export variables from a module with their values set,

In ELConstants.pm I have something like

packge ELConstants;

require Exporter;

@ISA = qw(Exporter);

@EXPORT_OK = qw(%ServerCommands);

my %ServerCommands = (

'RAW_TEXT' => chr(0),

);

then in ELCLient.pm I have

use ELConstants qw(%ServerCommands);

The variable is defined but empty, i. e {}

Any ideas ?

2. I have assumed that the EL server preserves the order of actions for each

individual actor, i.e if I say 'Look at X' followed by 'Look at Y' the server will tell me

about X and then about Y, and that if another actor performs two actions I will see

those actions in the same order in which the actor performed them

correct ?

Oh, and I suppose a license question - is there any restrictions on what license we

can release bots/clients for EL under ?

thanks

2. I have assumed that the EL server preserves the order of actions for each individual actor, i.e if I say 'Look at X' followed by 'Look at Y' the server will tell me about X and then about Y, and that if another actor performs two actions I will see those actions in the same order in which the actor performed them correct ?
it's not the server preserving them, it just responds in order. each command is a seperate network message, and TCP ensures that messages stay in order Edited by ttlanhil

2. I have assumed that the EL server preserves the order of actions for each individual actor, i.e if I say 'Look at X' followed by 'Look at Y' the server will tell me about X and then about Y, and that if another actor performs two actions I will see those actions in the same order in which the actor performed them correct ?
it's not the server preserving them, it just responds in order. each command is a seperate network message, and TCP ensures that messages stay in order

Ok, just wanted to make sure that the server didn't deliberatly re-order it's reponses ;-)

thanks

Figured it out, i should have been using 'use vars' to declare package global

variables, not my()

I am deep in perl for my work, so I might be able to field questions as well.

Thanks for the offers (dns_server as well), I'm pretty comfortable in perl, but

have one perl and one EL related question.

1. Do you know how to export variables from a module with their values set,

In ELConstants.pm I have something like

packge ELConstants;

require Exporter;

@ISA = qw(Exporter);

@EXPORT_OK = qw(%ServerCommands);

my %ServerCommands = (

'RAW_TEXT' => chr(0),

);

then in ELCLient.pm I have

use ELConstants qw(%ServerCommands);

The variable is defined but empty, i. e {}

Any ideas ?

2. I have assumed that the EL server preserves the order of actions for each

individual actor, i.e if I say 'Look at X' followed by 'Look at Y' the server will tell me

about X and then about Y, and that if another actor performs two actions I will see

those actions in the same order in which the actor performed them

correct ?

Oh, and I suppose a license question - is there any restrictions on what license we

can release bots/clients for EL under ?

thanks

Hi,

semi-functional

cheers

Hi,

Could I get someone who is in a guild to do some simple trades with DarthBot

who is near the fire on IP. I have trading working but I am unguilded and want

to see what the differences are.

To trade with the bot, start a trade with it and then PM with 'buy', 'sell', 'inv',

'wanted' or 'help' for some really basic help

It may be a bit slow as I have full packet logging on .

Thanks