Eternal Lands Official Forums
AmberGal

Newbism

A sad, widespread form of discrimination has been brought to my attention lately--the discrimination against new players...and I'm getting quite sad seeing it so often on EL...

Sure, most of us have all likely been a little mean or rude to new players. However, how are we welcoming new players--the future generation of EL--to come play our game with us by turning our noses up at them and calling them "ugh--newbs!"? And not only that, but even if a more advanced player does something or says something wrong, they are sometimes insulted with "hah, what a noob!"

It has become the universal insult of Eternal Lands!

I don't get it, I really don't... I mean, yes, new players ask a lot of questions, they do things wrong, they don't know how to eat or make money, but guess what? Neither did you when you started...

Don't get me wrong, there are many players and moderators who share the same interests of helping new players just as I do, and they're great at it, so I am not speaking against all of EL.

Also, now that I hold contests for new players to win free items on Channel 6, people degrade ME for doing so and disgustedly say "Ugh, such a waste," or, "Don't play AmberGal's contests, she only helps newbs."

...Yes, I help new players--why is that such a bad thing? :pirate:

I think you may be confusing the definitions of 'newb' and 'n00b'. A 'newbie' is simply someone new to the game, who doesn't quite know how things work, but is willing to learn. A 'n00b' is a derogatory term for someone new, who wants everything for free, without working for it, and doesn't want to bother finding things out for themselves when they can repeatedly bug someone else to do it for them.

The terms are frequently confused, and often lead to a general prejudice of new players.

Personally, I enjoy helping new players - when they deserve it. But the unfortunate case is, that many of them don't appreciate the aid they are given, or even go as far to ask for free (and often expensive) stuff. This is a generalisation to some degree, but its from my own personal experience. For example, the other day I was healing on IP, and I had healed 10 people before I got one which said thank you. But nevertheless, I still do it, because its worth it when you find the one or two people who genuinely appreciate the help.

I think contests are a wonderful way to motivate new players into exploring and getting used to the game. Its a way to help them out by providing them with useful items, but also teaches them to work for the things they want. And quite simply, contests are fun!

So, ignore these silly people that tell you you're wasting your time. I was truly impressed by your efforts, particularly when some ungrateful persons were rather unkind to you. So keep it up, and let me know when you're out of prizes, I'll throw some more your way. :pirate:

Beautiful Amber! Couldnt have come close to saying it better. You have my full support, need prizes? pm me anytime I am more than happy to help you in any way.

I fully agree that some players tend to discriminate against new players, but those are the few, though sometimes they are the more vocal ones. I have been playing for about 4 or 5 months now, still consider myself a Newbie, and really appreciate the help and encouragement I have gotten along the way, I try to spend a few days each month helping in the newbie channel, after all the mods and helpers there are really pushed some times and real help from some of us lets them get a break instead of trying to help 30 people at once. As for the few that seem to think that having played longer makes them special, forget them, they are usually the ones who can't handle change and quit playing when they can't cope. Fresh blood and fresh views will help keep the game alive and growing and those who help the newbies of today might be helping the ones that will be more advanced than them next month. Some of the ones I helped get used to EL have gone much farther than I have in very little time. I tend to hang on C2 a lot and while we may joke with new people there, there is not a nicer group IMHO anywhere on EL. I watch level 80+ players drop what they are doing almost every day to rescue some Newbie's DB and take it to them. If some of the older players, gamewise that is, want to be prejudiced, that's fine, still plenty of room in my ignore list for them to be added.

I pretty much agree with what Terena said. And I commend people who help newbies daily. They have more patience than I do! I do help new persons when i find one who actualy speaks back and makes some sense :pirate:

And another thing is that as i continue to play EL. it seems as if I see more and more Noobs than I care to try to help. I mean the one's thta have been playing for like months and still just don't get some basics. And won't listien when you try to help. So I can understand some older players who just stop trying after awhile. They spot a newbie or a n00b and runt eh other way, lol. And yes i was a new person a short time ago but I still read the manual and used encyclopedia. I still use my encyclopedia! So that's mainly my advice to new players. Ask on channel 1 or press ctrl+e :pirate: I do take time for the mature persons though. Great potential.

Edited by Sweettea

I have to agree with some of the sentiment here - There are newbies, and there are n00bs.

Yes, once upon a time, I was a newbie. I started this game, and I mostly did for myself - I've tried never to ask for anything I didn't earn. If I needed a spot for something, yeah, I would use the help of a more knowledgable player who was helping, or people who were much on the same level as me, and we were trading tips.

Is there a point to mentioning this? Yes. The point is that I am willing to help those willing to help themselves - I mean, "I need armor, do you know what I can do to get some?" gets far more respect from me than "I need armor, give me yours!"

I'm not going to say there aren't people who are willing to help themselves when they are new, and just need a gentle nudge now and then to encourage them. I know there have to still be such, and they likely aren't even the minority. It just doesn't help when the people who speak loudest act like they have some entitlement and right to this game that supercedes players who have been here awhile and/or are doing things for the game (and in many cases, they use the same entitlement to the rules).

I have to agree with some of the sentiment here - There are newbies, and there are n00bs.

Is there a point to mentioning this? Yes. The point is that I am willing to help those willing to help themselves - I mean, "I need armor, do you know what I can do to get some?" gets far more respect from me than "I need armor, give me yours!"

Ditto, there are newcomers. Those are always wellcome.

But there are also n00bs, and those are, at least, annoying, irritating, and -sorry- idiots. And will never be wellcome. The response to 99% os the questions in channel 1 is "enciclopedia", the other 1% is "click in the '?' button in the bottom bar".

Well, that was a bit sarcastic, but the facts are that most people dont put any interest in what they do. I have worked as teacher amongst many other things, and, I simply, refuse to help anyone that expect you to do the work for him/herself. And a lot of new players are this way.

I, personallly, never call n00b to anyone, even if s/he deserves that. But I fully understand those who call them noobs, because there are noob, not all the newcomers are good persons willing to work.

I don't mind newbies, but I hate the ones with no manners :/

Anyway don't let the naysayers get ya down amber, it's good what you are doing :pirate:

When I first started playing EL (my first MMORPG) I limited all my requests to information. People were very kind and really helped me find my way around. Some were even kinder and gave me various items to help my progress (for which I was very thankful).

These days I try to do the same. I try and provide way more information that what is asked of me. I've learned how important some good information can be in the first few hours and days of game play. I try and pass that on when someone asks.

Helping newbs is a hard, time consuming job. But it's rewarding when you see a player you helped months later and they still remember your name. Helping noobs can be frustrating, but sometimes you can break through the "give me free stuff" attitude and get them pointed in the right direction. The others...well after a few rejected trade requests they wander off in search of a new host.

It has become the universal insult of Eternal Lands!

It has become the universal insult of games!

..and i like it ;*D

..and i like it ;*D

But some newbies really act stupid and rudely for example yesterday i was on isla prima beam when a newbie called egg[number] (i dont remember the number that came after egg so i cant tell the exact name) started swearing all bad words he knew for fun..when they do that i get angry...so they dont act well everytime. ;)

...Yes, I help new players--why is that such a bad thing? B)

Good For You!!!!!!

But some newbies really act stupid and rudely for example yesterday i was on isla prima beam when a newbie called egg[number] (i dont remember the number that came after egg so i cant tell the exact name) started swearing all bad words he knew for fun..when they do that i get angry...so they dont act well everytime. :(

Ummmmmmmmmm neither do "pro" players

Beautiful Amber! Couldnt have come close to saying it better. You have my full support, need prizes? pm me anytime I am more than happy to help you in any way.

sure....would be proud to assist you..... ;)

i just love it when some player named gangstakilla_007 or something (i just made that name up but you get the idea) trades me without saying anything, puts 2 rabbit furs a bone and some lilacs in the trade window and says: CAPE. ;)

I agree with you too Amber, I joined the game only to get some crap from people who said, "Sorry cant help ATM". I personally like to help people who are new to joining, then when they get good you have alot of friends. BUT I absolutly hate it when people ask me for things, thats what makes n00bs hit a nerve on me.

,Knight

I think you may be confusing the definitions of 'newb' and 'n00b'. A 'newbie' is simply someone new to the game, who doesn't quite know how things work, but is willing to learn. A 'n00b' is a derogatory term for someone new, who wants everything for free, without working for it, and doesn't want to bother finding things out for themselves when they can repeatedly bug someone else to do it for them.

This confusion of the terms Newbie and Noob are just like the confusion with three commonly used terms: Hacker, Cracker and Crapper.

Hacker is a good programmer, Cracker is an evil programmer, while Crapper can talk about programming but can't really do anything but crap.

Hey everyone, I have gotten such positive feedback because of this thread, and Cyprom asked that I post this.

Reprinted with the permission and request of Cyprom:

[PM from Cyprom: I read your post on the forums, bout the newbs and stuff]

[PM to Cyprom: And?]

[PM from Cyprom: Your absolutely right of course. And not the first to say that :devlish:]

[PM to Cyprom: I'm not?]

[PM from Cyprom: No, has been said lots of times. Just not on forums]

[PM to Cyprom: Oh..]

[PM from Cyprom: Made me realise one thing though... (Since I never thought about it till I actualy had time to read it)]

[PM to Cyprom: What?]

[PM from Cyprom: Material Life isn't important. We have to help other people... I'm quite the rich player. I should give more to others.]

[PM to Cyprom: :D Well said]

[PM from Cyprom: Best thing bout not being materialistic is that I'm not freaking out anymore when I fail too much :sneaky:]

[PM to Cyprom: :D I'm so glad if I inspired you.]

[PM from Cyprom: Today has been wonderful. But thanks for the post :D]

[PM from Cyprom: You know what? Copy your chatlog and post it as a reply :P]

[PM to Cyprom: :D]

[PM from Cyprom: Oh don't forget to add that it doesn't mean I will give my CoL to the first person who asks... I know how those players are]

[PM to Cyprom: LOL]

Changing the face of EL, one player at a time. :)

i just love it when some player named gangstakilla_007 or something (i just made that name up but you get the idea) trades me without saying anything, puts 2 rabbit furs a bone and some lilacs in the trade window and says: CAPE. :)

This happened to me too not long ago, I was at beam healing newbies (with some essences given to me by someone) and this guy came up and wanted to 'borrow' my cape. I had a warm and fuzy feeling inside when I proceeded to take my cape off...put it in the trade window...clicked trade once, then cancelled the trade. I continued dangling my precious FR Cape and did this several times to this 'newbie' and after the 4th time I said..."Naaa", to which he replied "grrr".

I found this amusing...of course, I would never do this to s true newbie, (she/he would never has asked to 'borrow' it :devlish:)

There are newbies who are newbies, newbies who are noobs and there are newbies who are alts.

I used to help out newbies more then I do now, but rude people made me a bit less helpful.

Edited by MagpieLee

Now that is something that gets me, using noob a an insult. It's stupid, thats a fact

"oh it dosn't matter that you've been playing for well over a year. I just pked you, so you must be a noob"

Find the logic there- i CHALLENGE...and don't even get me started on 1337 speak. Frankly if I wanted a more time consuming, and complicated way to write everything i'd learn a foreign language instead. At least thats productive.

But on topic- you're tottally right. 99.9 % of new players are fine, but the issue is that the last 0.1% just don't do the others any favours, with the constant begging and generally being idiots. More often that not these players will probably wind up banned, or leaving the game anyway. Its just difficult to convince the majority of players to give a newbie who asks one question a chance, cause they've just had to deal with one who wouldn't stop asking

I help newbies :P , and should probably do so more often, not just when i run into them

Fox Lupine of -IC-

I have an idea, or rather a challenge - how about we not call them n00bs - being so close to newbie, it's kind of a misnomer.

So, here are a few suggestions for calling them:

bad-mannered, barbarous, boorish, crude, discourteous, graceless, impertinent, impolite, impudent, inconsiderate, insolent, insulting, low, rude, uncivil, uncivilized, uncouth, uncultured, uneducated, ungracious, unmannerly, vulgar

Or, try your imaginations and come up with some other terms for them that give them apt description - I mean, n00b is so unimaginative.

I was lucky when I started this game, Foncemerlin and another friend had talked me into playing. So they helped me when I was a newbie, gave me armor and advice and stuff, so I didn't have to ask too many questions or beg.

Then two guys, masterreiki and doa_pk came along and were just so nice to me..gave me stuff and help for no reason..really touched me.. then I met Lotharion (#beaver!) who helped me through my first reset and invited me into CeL..

From there I was determined to help newbies..I quickly became fed up with beam sitting..and tend not to frequent channel 1 much now..because of the ungrateful n00bs and alts that tick you off.

Recently, I was introduced to a new player that renewed my faith in newbies. A delightful girl that enjoyed the game and genuinely appreciated the help and advice offered. Now Phawn is a guildie of mine, and I have to say, I hope I run into more newbies like her in the future, because it was such a pleasure helping her.

Amber need help or supplies let me know :rolleyes:

Yes Arnieman,

or maybe we should keep calling them that and just start calling the real nice newbies UPSTARTS from now on!

I wouldn't listen to them... They have nothing better to do than put down new people for one Noob is someone who is a lower level than someone weaker or just a plain idiot as I hear it, I guess Noob is supposed to be insultive but really isn't.... newb is like new player that kind of thing...

Just don't worry about it your not a noob, noobs to me are players I really don't care for but I have seen you ingame your very nice to be with, just hang in there :P Keep doing what your doing and get them in PK :D and they will be the noob then :)

--Bleuren

I wouldn't listen to them... They have nothing better to do than put down new people for one Noob is someone who is a lower level than someone weaker or just a plain idiot as I hear it, I guess Noob is supposed to be insultive but really isn't.... newb is like new player that kind of thing...

Just don't worry about it your not a noob, noobs to me are players I really don't care for but I have seen you ingame your very nice to be with, just hang in there :D Keep doing what your doing and get them in PK :D and they will be the noob then :P

--Bleuren

Is it just me, or this guy's post makes no sense at all? :)

Is it just me, or this guy's post makes no sense at all? :)

lol, nope... It's not just you.