Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Kami

How about just Mules?

Ok. I know most of this stuff I'm about to suggest may not be possible to implement but I'd like you to hear me out at least. I know everyone is sick of hearing about horses (as am I) because it's over done and not really worth the trouble and effort to implement. But what do you think about just Mules?

Unlike Horses, you don't ride them so you don't have to make new Graphic Models for every player and they are no bigger then deer so they won't take up much space. Also, it could give some use to those Stables that are in the game, where you can pay the Stablekeeper to look after you mule.

Pros:

Follows you

Carrys an extra 50-100 weight

Is not summoned so it doesn't disappear.

Doesn't allow anybody but you to take what it's carrying

If you log off, it returns to the closet Stable on the current map

Cons:

Expensive to own and to House in the Stables

You must Feed it constantly or else it wanders away (with your stuff).

Taking it mining with you means you must carry twice as much food.

Does not Fight with other animals but can be attacked in PK maps.

If it dies, it'll leave behind anything it's carrying.

Can not teleport between maps.

Well, how's that? Like I said, it's not likely to be able to be implemented but it's somthing to think about at lease, right?

I like it! Would help out with mines, Maybe You could invest in other stuff like Add-on Carts, make things easier, should automaticly add a area to your "Bag" of extra space. the carts would mean more stuff possible.. but slow you down

Can not teleport between maps.

- Instantly eliminates any use for miners, because CC and any other mine is a new map.

Is not summoned so it doesn't disappear.

- I must agree you have some interesting ideas there, but I stick with my suggestion of summonable animals for both storage and riding purposes (if ever implemented) because animals that stay permanently on a map would only cause more load for everyone entering this map. Not only will maps get more crowded overall (and some maps are already to small for our vastly growing community), you would also need more space for those animals, like additional stables on each map.. and what do you do in CC, GM or Tit-mine?

I'm against animals staying permanently on the map, that's why I suggested summoning for that purpose.

only my 2 cents

Maybe summonable ones to ride (actually it will be like little telporters I think) and Mules non summonable to carry some extra stuff

i do like this idea of it following you. as for the teleporting between maps, maybe make it like storage, you take it to a stable, you go to another map, you pic it up from the stable, :) its at every stable in the game, maybe an npc says he can magic make them smaller and put them in his bag and then it appears next to you when you withdraw it

- Instantly eliminates any use for miners, because CC and any other mine is a new map.

Yeah, I realized that right after I posted. I guess Mules can only be limited to certain maps, namely "aboveground" Maps. This also means that they can't be taken into buildings as well, which begs the question, what will happen to them when you enter a building? Well, what would a real mule do if left unattended? It'll wander away, right? How about Posts to tether them too outside? That should be too much problem since there are never very many people in one building at once.

That "Passing it around Stables" idea is sure one way to do it, that's for sure. Or just, "Renting" a mule at Stables is also another way to do it but I suspect you would need to take all of your stuff away first.

Either the mule should be more 'sticky' to you than summoned animals, so it'll follow you when you go to another map, or you should be able command it to go into another map.

And for buildings, I don't think any home owner wants a mule in his house, so you should leave it there. How far the mule wanders away depends on how good you treat it. :)

And while you're inside, other players (should) get a chance to rob the load (the hight of the chance also depending on your treatment). :)

And when you're on PK map, the mule can be attacked by another player. :)

And when you die, the mule doesn't have an owner anymore, so anyone can get the stuff it carries. :)

But 50-100 EMU extra sounds a little low to me... related to what we can carry. I think 300 or 500 is a bit more realistic, and make it worth getting a mule.

I think this is an interesting idea. I think you should be able to ride the mule and if you anr not riding it the mule will follow you around. The mules should be able to go to different maps just not by boat or teleport. Maybe there could be a toll to take your mule by boat. The mules could have like 250 EMU. You could buy a saddle bag from the stable master for (X) plats. The saddle bag would go in the mules inventory and could be eqquipped (like armor) that way if the mule dies the saddle bag would be able to be took by annther player. The saddle bag would work like the harvest cloak. There could be post to tie your mule to outside of every Tavern. Since there is one on almost every map it would not be hard to find. You should not have to feed them, they could eat grass like the deer.

saddle bag - raises EMU by 250. Mule travels slower and con not be rode when equipped.

Um, dude. We Don't have nearly enough space that we require! In fact, we should have a lot more space but now if it wasn't for the Basic Skills Cap. If this game plans on growing any, increasing the base skills is something that's going to need to be done anyway.

But of course, my Idea of Mules was less to merely increase Carrying capasity but rather to add an extra dimension to the game. This is the reason I thought it should be only an extra 50-100 EMU. Rather then just doubling the total Weight of items you can carry, this will give you yet another window to place items. Of course, I still think the Inventory should expanded as well, such as a Scrolling Inventory Window but that's just one improvement while the Mule idea can add so much more possibility.

Anyway. No, you can't ride the mule! Your weight will crack the poor thing's back! Well, not really but it's a good enough reason then anything. If riding of the Mules is allowed, people will start complaining that they want horses. If Horses are allowed, people will start wanting to travel faster. Anybody even read the Book "If you give a Mouse a Cookie?"

Player's just don't NEED Horses! They add nothing to the game and it's only more trouble of the programer. At lease Mules can be of use.

Also, no you must have to feed your Mule. This is to balance the advantage for having one. Mule need to have Mantinance. Otherwise, It's extra carrying capacity with no draw backs.

The Saddlebag idea is Logical but that's way too much weight for it to hold. It almost doubles the preset Limit of most players. You can't get that much without working hard for it, and throwing away a little cash doesn't count as hard work. At that amount, you wouldn't need Storage at all because you'll be able to carry almost everything with you for weeks on end.

A Typical Mule may be able to carry 3 times the amount you can but a Saddlebag doesn't hold more then 1/3 of that which you can. Obviously, we can't make it realistic in this game currently so I'd say (at most) a Mule can carry 100 by itself. Add a Saddlebag and it can carry 50-80 more. To balance this, a Mule's inentory window should be conciderably smaller then yours. Or maybe it'll be better if your Mule's should be larger but your's will be shrunk, aye? Maybe not.

As for attacking, A mule that's follows you can be attacked by Hostiles and Other Players. If it dies, it loses everything it carries and does not respawn in the underworld. Or, if it did, what if it dies but you do not? Will it stay in the underworld until you come and get it?

Anyway, I think Mule's should be realitivally easy to get but using one should not allow one player to triple his Playing in one day. A Mule should only be there to Add to the game, not become a Required Mechinism to playing that only the extremely rich becomes the Sole Advantaged Class again.

Unfortunately, your idea is not feasable, because then there will be a LOT of mules, which will just take resources (server CPU, internet traffic, client CPU, etc.)