Eternal Lands Official Forums
AmberGal

Cheaters

All day today I have been holding fun contests, giving away free items to newbies who find where I am hiding. And of course, there is always the few that ruin it for everyone else by telling others where I am...which is cheating. But it was not until my final contest that the ultimate cheaters surfaced, resulting in the post that you are reading.

First of all, the two players are tHeLeThAlMoO and Cleotopia. tHeLeThAlMoO had already won a prize once earlier in the contest, but tried to come back a 2nd time:

tHeLeThAlMoO wants to trade with you.

AmberGal: No, you already won earlier.

tHeLeThAlMoO: that was thelethalm0o and he had a bone

AmberGal: Git!

[tHeLeThAlMoO @ 6]: amber used unapropriout languidge:( wahhh

[AmberGal @ 6]: By saying 'git'?

(Anyone that has been in the Southern United States knows that 'git' means GET AWAY. Is that "unapropriout" to say? Please let me know.)

Anyways.

If that wasn't enough, the angry tHeLeThAlMoO got its revenge by pacing around the area I was in, to give away my hiding spot. Then I heard:

tHeLeThAlMoO: here

The next thing I saw was tHeLeThAlMoO leading Cleotopia to my spot. Cleo demanded a prize.

[AmberGal @ 6]: Lethalmoo just cheated. I heard you.

Cleotopia: there

AmberGal: Sorry, I heard him help you.

AmberGal: Contest over.

Cleotopia: she said somewhere over there

[Cleotopia @ 6]: amber!

[Cleotopia @ 6]: i want my rpize!

[Cleotopia @ 6]: ahhhhh!

[Cleotopia @ 6]: give me my prize!

[Cleotopia @ 6]: i would like me prize please

[PM from Cleotopia: give me my prize]

[PM from Cleotopia: i won i didnt cheat]

[PM from tHeLeThAlMoO: comon giv cleo the prize already seen u and new were u were]

[PM to tHeLeThAlMoO: OMG the contest has been over for a while...]

[PM from tHeLeThAlMoO: ud be complaning if u were in the sichuation]

[PM to tHeLeThAlMoO: please please pleaaase stop harrassing me , I dont want to report you...]

[PM to tHeLeThAlMoO: You already cheated in a contest, which is means for being reported.]

[PM from tHeLeThAlMoO: and y would u do that?]

[tHeLeThAlMoO @ 6]: she new u were their

[tHeLeThAlMoO @ 6]: oops

[PM from tHeLeThAlMoO: she new u were their]

And then I was reported to a mod. After explaining the story to the mod, he found my reason for not rewarding a cheater to be sufficient enough, and dropped the issue. However...

[AmberGal @ 6]: Anyone feel like competing for some torso armor? :)

[Cleotopia @ 6]: Dont do ambers contests she never gave me my prize

[AmberGal @ 6]: I don't reward cheaters, you are correct.

[PM from tHeLeThAlMoO: and u said i was a git p.s ignored]

[PM to tHeLeThAlMoO: GIT means 'get'LOL]

[Cleotopia @ 6]: Bye Everyone except Whos On My IGNORE List

Well, I guess I don't know what to take from this situation, but it does make me consider not doing contests anymore... I guess I should just tell them all to GIT!!! :P

Guest GMWeezel

Amber's contests were fairly run and I got a shiny new sword out of it. I'm from Texas and although we aren't hicks we still say "y'all" and "git." And for the idiots that means "you all" and "get/get away" respectively. If anything, each of them should be banned because they are both "ketsu no damu."

I listened to ambers contest on channel 6, im not from texas and translate git with idiot. So better get rid of your local slang.

Anyways, its ambers contest, she sets the rules, she donates the prizes and if she thinks someone is cheating, it is her full right to disqualify that person.

Piper

Edit: typos o.O

Edited by The_Piper

If anything, each of them should be banned because they are both "ketsu no damu."

I'm sorry to disappoint you, but they did not broke any rules to be banned, yet they behaved badly. The most you can do is disqualify them from the contest, nothing more.

I was playing (well and not winning anything) in her contest and everything was good...

Cleotopia @ 6]: Dont do ambers contests she never gave me my prize

last i was online she was only giving prizes to non-cheating newbies

tHeLeThAlMoO wants to trade with you.

AmberGal: No, you already won earlier.

tHeLeThAlMoO: that was thelethalm0o and he had a bone

last i looked he wasn't a newbie... :P and trying to win again by logging off and stuff.... :P how :)

ambergal, i say keep doing contest. contest aren't really for the prizes its for the fun! but the prizes are always nice

I also watched this contest and it was run fairly. AmberGal is a firm but fair person and like The_Pepper said, was in her full right to DQ anyone she felt was cheating.

ps: Amber's been doing contests mostly all day...I hope she takes a break from them and mines me some silver sometime

ps: Amber's been doing contests mostly all day...I hope she takes a break from them and mines me some silver sometime

Nah, i hope she keeps up the good work and hold more contests.

Go and mine silver yourself! :P

Piper

Guest GMWeezel

I listened to ambers contest on channel 6, im not from texas and translate git with idiot. So better get rid of your local slang.

I refuse to stop saying "git" just because some northern idiots can't see that all we did is shorten the sound of an "e" by replacing it with an "i." Besides, what makes y'all so special that we should have to adjust our sayings?

I've heard "git" used both as a term for an idiot, and as a term for "get away".

Either way it really isn't the issue here.

AmberGal as the one holding the contests and sponsoring the prizes has the right to disqualify anyone caught cheating or being generally obnoxious. As long as the contest holder plays fair and square (which by all appearances was definitely the case), he/she is within her rights to call the shots and set the guidelines.

I refuse to stop saying "git" just because some northern idiots can't see that all we did is shorten the sound of an "e" by replacing it with an "i." Besides, what makes y'all so special that we should have to adjust our sayings?

Not getting into the whole contest thing at all, but what makes us 'all' so special is that we come from all over the world. All trying to communicate with that one language, English. Because of that reason it just would be good if everybody would try to speak 'normal' English, no slang/whatever variations of it at all. Just to make it understandable for the most people possible. Not 'northern idiots', just some common sense in an international community.

Guest GMWeezel

Who is to define what is "normal" english? Slang is a generaly relative term. Even in higher level british literature, the term "flat" is still used in formal settings.

Molime, any suggestion how to fix slang? :) And not in just English either. I listen to my friends talk in Spanish until they start using slang. Not fun, but not something I would ever expect to be fixed.

Don't think the idea is to cure slang, just to operate with a certain modicom of courtesy - for instance, in this case, "git" is a Southern US slang term for "get" (as in "get lost", "go away"). In certain other circles, it has other meanings - "idiot", "completely ignorant, childish, and lacking in manners", acronym for "Gentleman In Training", and so on.

While residents of the Southern US may be most familiar with it one way, one must keep in mind that more people play this game than any one local region, and others not familiar with that colloquialism may not see it the same way. For that reason, you should be careful who you are talking to, and what you say in local - If we all speak in one language, cutting down on our slang, we can understand what we all are saying to each other better, without such accusations flying around over miscommunications.

Don't think the idea is to cure slang, just to operate with a certain modicom of courtesy - for instance, in this case, "git" is a Southern US slang term for "get" (as in "get lost", "go away"). In certain other circles, it has other meanings - "idiot", "completely ignorant, childish, and lacking in manners", acronym for "Gentleman In Training", and so on.

While residents of the Southern US may be most familiar with it one way, one must keep in mind that more people play this game than any one local region, and others not familiar with that colloquialism may not see it the same way. For that reason, you should be careful who you are talking to, and what you say in local - If we all speak in one language, cutting down on our slang, we can understand what we all are saying to each other better, without such accusations flying around over miscommunications.

Well, that's just it though -- speaking slang comes pretty much naturally to the speaker. It's not like fixing a habit. It's like trying to alter a personality. :)

(Anyone that has been in the Southern United States knows that 'git' means GET AWAY. Is that "unapropriout" to say? Please let me know.)

Being from Australia, and only having lived in CA and CO, I have never heard "git" used as that. It is used here (I believe brought over from the UK) as a slightly friendlier slang term for idiot (as otherwise pointed out in this thread).

I think the southern US is the only place that uses the term in your way, and not representative of the general EL population. Therefore I would suggest its best to try not to use that particular expression.

Well, that's just it though -- speaking slang comes pretty much naturally to the speaker. It's not like fixing a habit. It's like trying to alter a personality. :P
it's not like it's that hard to adjust... for example, around here (australia) it's called a lounge or lounge chair, but I call it a couch when online... why? because I know that's how to get other people to know what I'm talking about.

understandably, that takes some thought and analysis, but it's not that difficult to stay aware of the differences

on the other hand... if everyone was understanding of the differences between people, the world would be a far different place ;)

Being from Australia, and only having lived in CA and CO, I have never heard "git" used as that. It is used here (I believe brought over from the UK) as a slightly friendlier slang term for idiot (as otherwise pointed out in this thread).

I think the southern US is the only place that uses the term in your way, and not representative of the general EL population. Therefore I would suggest its best to try not to use that particular expression.

I live in Washington State (not Washington D.C.) and we use "git" (for get/get away) and "y'all" here too...

[tHeLeThAlMoO @ 6]: amber used unapropriout languidge:( wahhh

Either way it's spoken it's still not inappropriate language ?

git v. Chiefly New England, Midland U.S., & Southern U.S. - Variant of get.

git n. a person who is deemed to be despicable or contemptible;

was this even worth putting in the outlaws section? no {actual} rules were broken and it was apparently settled in game and just b/c someone says "here" doesnt mean Cleo was cheating anyone could have been near you when he said it i think you just should have given her a prize that wasnt as good as the one you were going to give ..... im not praising TheLethALMoo b/c it WAS a newbie contest and he shouldnt have joined in but i think if you wouldve asked nicely he would have left and {git} really isnt a good way to have someone leave you alone you should know that by now if youre not a noob yourself Amber...........and TheLeTHaLMOo dont go ruining Amber's contest she's got friends in PK places that would own you like you were a rabbit

was this even worth putting in the outlaws section?

This forum section is for: Scammers, bag stealers, troublemakers, no-good doers... To me, it was worth it..

To everyone else, I'd like to say thank you for reading and replying to my post. It means a great deal to me!!

and TheLeTHaLMOo dont go ruining Amber's contest she's got friends in PK places that would own you like you were a rabbit
Comforting.. :)

Then if my southern english is offensive, please stop saying bloke and mate guys. I say "git" when I'm telling people to get outta here all the time. I'm noone's "mate" in this game, except Worf's (my b/f) and "bloke" just sounds so unfriendly.

I agree with LadyWolf.

Either everybody quits using any language but proper English without slang when talking to anyone, or start showing the same respect and acceptance for others that you like to demand everyone show you.

On the real topic, she did what she felt she needed to - if she felt the contestants were cheating and decided not to award prizes for that, it was her right IMO. It also was her right to post here, that at the very least thelethalmoo was cheating (and possibly using an alt char with a "0" (zero) instead of a letter "O"), and Cleotopia was just an unfortunate casualty in not being rewarded. If it was more, this will probably happen again, and the rest of us know better about these.