Eternal Lands Official Forums
Net_man

Are you a programmer?

Hello. we are a guild of programmers who strive to make the EL client better, and do other things for EL(contribute maps,patches,etc.). we have a guild so you can recognise an elite programmer when you see one.
So exactly which patches are yours on Berlios? Which maps? How have you personally improved the client?

Have you learned to ping yet?

/me wonders if you got your 1337 hello world code from my post.

So exactly which patches are yours on Berlios? Which maps? How have you personally improved the client?

He never said EL programming in the post, but that linked site does mention it. If you want to recruit real EL programmers, you might want to list your accomplishments on your homepage. I am surprised that the tag was even approved.

BTW, your site is shameful. Use a spell-checker. Get a host that does not throw pop-ups. Advertising? :devlish:

Are you sure you only recruit programmers?

I remember you pestering me about joining your guild without even checking if I was a programmer.

I have yet to see any patches or contributions from this guild. It would appear the claims that the tag allows you to recognize a dev to be downright misleading.

well now. it's been a while since I dissected someone. I reckon it's about time

Are you a programmer?
yes. are you?
check out The new guild for programmers: DeV!(yes, the tag includes the !)!
how sad. considering there was a 'dev' guild that actually had EL devs in it
be able to do a hello world
With what language? Brainfuck? :D
hello world doesn't sound that impressive... but if someone could come up with the punch cards to do it in MIPS assembler I'd give it credit.

on the other hand, most coders started with something like hello world, so it's a start (in that you've managed to get a compiler setup, not any coding ability)

He never said EL programming in the post, but that linked site does mention it. If you want to recruit real EL programmers, you might want to list your accomplishments on your homepage. I am surprised that the tag was even approved.
the site specifically claims they're developing for ELC.

it's not like tags need to be approved, so people are free to use whatever (well. apart from language, maybe). that said, I'd support the tag being changed for them unless they clean up the site, stop the recruitment spam (any good guild doesn't need timed canned messages... oh, and spam can be a canned message without being often enough to count as against the rules, so no-one pick nits over that), and produce a decent chunk of work... no claiming to be working on EL unless you are. and no giving the rest a bad name (eg that website)

as for that website... I'll give a few pointers. avoid silly smilies (or other images). unless what you're trying to say is the images yourself, they should only ever be support for the text. a line like that isn't.

we are a guild of programmers who strive to make the EL client better, and do other things for EL(contribute maps,patches,etc.).
so... if you contribute patches, what's the ELC improvement? (since you're saying they're different)
we have a guild so you can recognise an elite programmer when you see one.
you don't get recognised by the tag (hello world? elite?). oh, and avoid 'elite', that's a word used(in the computer context) by script kiddies, not grownups

take time thinking about sentence structure, language, grammar, etc. if you're going to be much good at coding, you need to be able to write to pretty exacting specifications; not doing the same when talking to humans isn't the best idea. that's not to say you can't play with words, use colloquialisms, etc... it can be quite entertaining to re-apply different language rules to come up with sentences that are correct but wouldn't normally be spoken

(for example; the horizontal degree lines on a globe ought to be called `lats' -- after all, they're measuring latitude!)

but it's not that hard to tell the difference between someone who knows how to type properly, and does it differently for fun or amusement, and someone who does it out of ignorance or apathy

ed: oh yes. and after he was asking on chans 4 & 20 more than a few times, I said I was (a dev)... he then said that anyone who was known as a ELC coder would have a guild already, so there wasn't much point in asking me. so the idea that you'd recognise them by the tag is silly (not completely, because there are some guilds with a number of developers in them, but it's the names you recognise, not the guild... at least for coding ability (as opposed to being helpfull and clued-in))

Edited by ttlanhil

if someone could come up with the punch cards to do it in MIPS assembler I'd give it credit.

Do I get credit for writing Hello World in BF on my own bytecode interpreter? (Yes, I wrote a BF compiler for my interpreter.. the interpreter had to support pointers (reg0 was the field pointer), and byte fields (reg1 was a 30k array of bytes). Of course, it got kind of boring, since my bytecode compiler wasn't the fastest around (though it was faster than ruby, easily). :D

In any case, I still caution people against trying to associate achievement with guild tags. A better tag may have been "Prog" or somesuch, or maybe something witty.

be able to do a hello world

With what language? Brainfuck? :D

++++[>++++++++<-]>[>+>++>+++<<<-]>>+>+<+++++++.>++++.+++++++..+++.<<.>+++++++++++++++.>.+++.------.--------.

Far from optimal but it works. Can I join now?

++++[>++++++++<-]>[>+>++>+++<<<-]>>+>+<+++++++.>++++.+++++++..+++.<<.>+++++++++++++++.>.+++.------.--------.

Far from optimal but it works. Can I join now?

woah... grummie!

check out The new guild for programmers: DeV!(yes, the tag includes the !)!

Change your tag please.

Appart from all the moronic issues about this, I would like one day to see this as an rpg... Im sure that in the Eternal Lands, there is no Linux and no Devs at all. :D A bit more of roleplaying would be nice.

People ask always to get more roleplaying in the game, that then they go and make a guild called "Dev!" or "LNX", go figure....

I feel so rejected that they have not tried to recruit me since all the real devs know how I am the l33t coder.

Anyway, they chose a poor guild tag, and are certainly suffering from hyperhubris, but their goals are worthwhile, whether or not they have contributed anything of value yet. I say the jury is still out, but change the tag.

And no, you still cannot have free copies of the source to my bots.

Compiling a HTTP server into el client and running your guild website off of that would maybe give you more respect. Maybe.

If you are a elite programmer you would not even bother to post on these forums let alone play the game for longer then 5 minutes. I also beleive the correct terminology would be 'oldschool' not elite.

freeone provided a hosting/design service as long as he was in our guild.

"if you were an elite programmer you wouldnt play EL for more then 5 minutes". have you seen me on EL in the past 2 weeks? and if you're that elite of a programmer, why are you still here?

Why is everyone angry at me because i started a guild for programmers??

i like programming, and i like EL(not anymore, thanks to you guys, though i still do develop bots), so i combine the two and make a guild for programmers. am i so evil?