Eternal Lands Official Forums
Aldar

port or something has been shut down

Hi

I always play EL via the university network.

I think lately some network manager noticed that and made it impossible to connect to the internet with the EL client. At home my client works normally, so that's not it.

Anyone an idea what they might have done? I think they prohibited internet traffic via the port EL is trying to connect (ok, laugh at me if im not making sense, im not that good at network backgrounds) or something like that. Of course i want to keep playing on the university, otherwise i wouldnt be writing this message :)

So if you have an idea what i should do, or manually change the port the client is using, please answer.

Thanks,

Aldar

port 2000, yes, probably.

options are: talk to the net admins about it;

use a different connection (I know people in the student village at uni here need their own dial-up accounts for IMs, games, etc);

set up a proxy on port 80 somewhere (probably a home machine... port 80 is teh intarweb, so unlikely to be blocked) and connect through that; or

go home straight after class and play there :)

Edited by ttlanhil

I had the same problem at my university. I will likely have to do the whole proxy port thing (or just not play EL while at work). You can also try the test server at port 2001 to really check if it is just port 2001 that is blocked. 2001 still works for me, but that does not do much good for leveling and what-not.

I figure the net admins were a little concerned about traffic going to france over port 2000. If the game server was in the US somewhere, I doubt there would have been much of an issue. Never can tell.... ID-10-T geeks and all.

I had the same problem at my university. I will likely have to do the whole proxy port thing (or just not play EL while at work). You can also try the test server at port 2001 to really check if it is just port 2001 that is blocked. 2001 still works for me, but that does not do much good for leveling and what-not.

I figure the net admins were a little concerned about traffic going to france over port 2000. If the game server was in the US somewhere, I doubt there would have been much of an issue. Never can tell.... ID-10-T geeks and all.

There is at least one backdoor trojan that uses port 2000, we've false alarms from Symantic AV because of the on occasions. That might be a factor.

would there be a chance of setting up port 80 on some (virtual) host to redirect to port 2k? apart from proxies that require authentication, this'd allow a lot of people to connect

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.