Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

The hydrogenium

I think you do not understand the concept of blocking.

Blocking, in the context of EL gameplay, means effectively blocking the path to a resources, so people can not walk to/from it. Camping is OK, so long as a path is open. Making a wall of players to block a path is not acceptable, except in some situations (like creating a human shield to protect someone for example).

How would several PKers guarding the entrance to this cave not be "effectively blocking the path to resources"?

No, you do not understand. The vast majority does not pay taxes so they feel protected against the big bad muslims (that's who the enemy is, no?). The vast majority pays taxes because if they do not do so, the government will come and punish them (fine, arrests, etc.).

And while not a reality to you, it is sadly a sad reality to many others. Wasn't the purpose of the war in Iraq to protect the people against the big bad wolf, Saddam? Great way to protect them by butchering causing collateral damage to "30K, more or less".

A.) Wondering what "you didn't pay your taxes" and this scenario have to do with each other - I mean, if you told me you were personally paying GWB to not drop a nuke on your house, maybe there'd be something similar...

B.) Thought the war was on a radical sect of a religion that wanted to kill us - otherwise, why aren't we detaining and slaughtering every one of that religion who resides or claims citizenship in the US?

C.) Do you have real figures to prove your "vast majority", or is that speculation?

D.) Yes, sadly, there are parts of the world that the reality is that the person you pay to protect you is the one who kills you. And, OMG!, GWB isn't guilty of most of it, I'm certain. Again, I don't understand why, if you don't like the living conditions somewhere, you don't make the slightest attempt to make it better.

E.) Wondering what RL politics have to do with "PK-politics" in EL.

F.) STILL questioning how we're ready to deal with the increasing cries and general lawlessness this will definitely bring into play, when (as I can tell) we keep talking about how there are enough problems sorting out what is what, and now we want to muddy the waters even more, so to speak? Personally, I would like to see game mechanics supporting more equal PVP encounters, while discouraging (not disallowing) more uneven encounters before we start bottlenecking people through PK ranges, but that's my opinion.

How would several PKers guarding the entrance to this cave not be "effectively blocking the path to resources"?

Say 4 pk'rs are camping out, you and 10 pk'rs go in the 10 over whelm the 4 u rush over to get to cave and go harvest.... hey guess what you just figured out how to get to the ore and get past their effective blocking -.-

Anyway, enough about the GWB and real taxes, this is going nowhere. On the previous thread we had like 3 pages of similar debate.

As for blocking, in EL blocking is defined by effectively closing a path to the point that the path finding algorithm can't find a path.

Making an area dangerous is not blocking, it's strategy.

Blockading is NOT blocking.

And don't forget that entrance is PK for EVERYBODY. PKers won't sit there and waiting for defenseless miners, they'll probably attack one eachother, so you can make your run through the scramble unscathed...

I hope the weapons/armors you can make with them will be worth the effort, only a small stats difference between normal weapons will make them as useless as the other stuff. I hope the right stats will be given to the new weapons/armors.

I like it. And longSh0t's list assessment is quite correct.

Those who are complaining need not. You do not NEED to harvest it. You just want to in a sterile environment.

Perhaps this will raise the prices for Rosts as well...

Interesting idea.

My thoughts and suggestions:

(1) Make an expensive ring that when used makes it so you cannot be attacked for a minute... or thirty seconds by pkers. Give it a massive cooldown. Make the price high enough to convince most people to try accessing the ore without using the ring. This would make the crafting skill even more useful.

--on second thought... the disengage rings should be enough. the above idea would frustrate pkers too much...

(2) Will pker guilds actually fight for control of the ore entrance? It seems like most pker guilds are all allied, having some war between the pk guilds would make this idea even more interesting. Can anyone part of a pk guild comment on this? Would your guild actually fight other pk guilds for control? or just ally?

(3) Will it be possible to beam outside of the cave? If not, maybe rings have to be used? Again, more use for crafting here.

(4) I like the idea of hiring protection, as long as the protection doesn't end up killing you. A guild dedicated to protection, that can be trusted, will have to emerge.

Edited by Ayreus

lol you would need 20 bars to buy a crown of life then :pirate:

and yes i liked the idea and how about a limit of 100 hydrogenium ore per hour :pirate:

yes yes and do not forget that it has a massive heat damage out in the deeps of the cave where the hydrogenium is being purified so it would not only be hard for the harvesters and at the same time for pkers..even if you restore there will be no way a pker will stay there more then 3 hours..

I guess harvesting this ore will give like 5k harvest exp per 1 ore or something ? :>

Anyway, best idea since..... hmm, for.... like a year !

I don't understand hows the swords are connected with mining, but f... it, its fantasy world :pirate: It rockz0r

I like this idea - plenty of scope for teamwork and "strategery". I think those who worry about excessive numbers of PKers are overly pessimistic - lots of PKers -> fewer harvesters -> fewer PKers. As in nature, a predator-prey balance should be established after a while.

OMG I love it, but you may need to change one server message from normal

"You failed to create a hydrogenium bar, and lost the ingredients"

to

"You failed to create a hydrogenium bar, and lost the ingredients, so are in unbelievably deep shit with your guild."

and slightly offtopic... re

You don't like it, don't play it.

And can you elaborate how that is not compatible with rule number 17? I don't quite understand.

Reminds me of when my guildies helped me build a 1000 wolf bag in the summoning arena, and a newish player walked up to be and asked me if he could look in the bag.

I Refused of course.....

He then told me to read rule 17.

That I guess parralels its inaplicability to this case :pirate:

I do not think that it is necessary to use s2e to harvest an ore. For one, it does not make sense at all. There is no logical reason to "use" a sword to harvest.

The other reason is because of the value that hydrogenium ore would be. The current market price (from trinitybot) of a s2e is 350 to 450 gc. The ore value would be around (estimate) 400 to 500. If 10 of those ores were used to make a bar, that makes 1 bar 4k to 5k.

While the thought of 1 bar having such a value is not necessarily a bad idea, it does not fit when compared to the other metals and the reason for such a value does not make sense. What I would suggest as an alternative is to have each ore take 1 PICKAXE, and be non-stackable. This would make sense in terms of gameplay, and still have an ore and metal in the game that is much more valuable than the others, but in a proportion that makes sense.

If you want to make expensive items with the ore, you can always change the amount that is used to make the items. Having such a high base cost is unreasonable if it already requires a high level.

Edited by Mr.Mind

What I would suggest as an alternative is to have each ore take 1 PICKAXE...

I like this idea. I too don't think the sword usage makes any sense in any kind of role-play way. I think the new summonable monsters that use swords is enough of a drain on those to get them used up. I don't think we need to use them in harvesting too.

I was actually thinking that perhaps some essence could be used in the mining (to increase complexity and cost). Due to the nature of the ore, it takes (for example) 1 water essence per ore to harvest. But a pickaxe (which is not stackable) does the same thing and makes SO much more sense than a sword.

And if you still want to increase the cost some, you could use an axe and one or more essence (perhaps various types).

I think the point of the s2e is to get them out of the game...that is why I like this idea:

Just a small suggestion: maybe the s2e could be exchanged by a NPC for a "MSMH mining catalysator", wich would be used at the mines. That would make more RP sense IMO.

It makes much more sense than needing the actual sword on you and would still get them out of the game. pr0 idea Ulrih :pirate:

Edited by sbarstow

What I would suggest as an alternative is to have each ore take 1 PICKAXE...

I like this idea. I too don't think the sword usage makes any sense in any kind of role-play way. I think the new summonable monsters that use swords is enough of a drain on those to get them used up. I don't think we need to use them in harvesting too.

I was actually thinking that perhaps some essence could be used in the mining (to increase complexity and cost). Due to the nature of the ore, it takes (for example) 1 water essence per ore to harvest. But a pickaxe (which is not stackable) does the same thing and makes SO much more sense than a sword.

And if you still want to increase the cost some, you could use an axe and one or more essence (perhaps various types).

Good one. Maybe 3 FEs to melt it down, 1 pickaxe/gloves sacrificial to harvest it and another 3 WE to cool it down. Could take 10 secs on base level to harvest one ore, just to slow down the production on timeline and more bars/enriched essences for new armors, if you want them more expensive...

Changing the requirement of s2e now would tick off a LOT of people, as many have spent thousands upon thousands of GC on them already.

And what kind of nexus we going to need for this Ent? I don't have many PPs to spare. :pirate:

Changing the requirement of s2e now would tick off a LOT of people, as many have spent thousands upon thousands of GC on them already. :pirate:

This S2E requirement was posted today, we cannot react faster, and just because some people spend Kgc on probable tool does not make others to just sit quiet and do nothing. It is BETA, which means Balancing, Equasion finding, Testing and Approving :pirate:

The advantage of having a video game is that you are not bound to the reality, and you can invent and distort stuff. It's called an artistic license :pirate:

So in EL, the hydrogenium is MSMH, which is very lightweight, and pretty strong. And it's readily available for mining :pirate:

The mining, however, will be extremely difficult. Not only that it is in a very inaccessible places, past a cave full of dangers with extreme heat areas that can kill weak players in a second, in addition to being a PK map. Not only that you will need a high harvesting skill (to be determined). But the worst of all, which will make the hydrogenium ore very expensive indeed, is that it will require a 'consumable item' to be harvested.

The consumable item is a new and sadistic addition to the game, that only my evil mind could conceive. Basically, from now on, all the rare harvestible stuff will require an item to be sacrificed in order to harvest the ore.

And what better item can be used to harvest hydrogenium than a Steel Two Edged Sword? :pirate:

Again, you will not be required to WEAR it to harvest the hydrogenium, you will be required to have one in your inventory. And for each hydrogenium ore you TRY to harvest, whether you fail or not, whether you are full or not, a Steel Two Edged Sword from your inventory will disappear.

Does this makes sense? Hardly. But don't forget that this is a game, and the real life rules do not apply here. And if you think that the real life rules make sense, try to explain the mechanism behind the quantum entanglement :pirate:

Guess you all missed this part.

The advantage of having a video game is that you are not bound to the reality, and you can invent and distort stuff. It's called an artistic license :pirate:

Does this makes sense? Hardly. But don't forget that this is a game, and the real life rules do not apply here.

Guess you all missed this part.

No, I think we all saw that, its just a pretty weak excuse.

A good fantasy or science fiction setting needs internal consistency, especial in the "living" environment of an RPG.

Sorry, but the if there is a problem with too many swords, then fix the combat system so that they get used, rather than attaching them to a completely unrelated activity.