Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
PEACEOFWAR

Animals... life like stuff..

Just an idea What if you had the raids totally unorganized with no warning or anything and the riad takes place where ever there is a large croud. For example if the storage in VOTD gets over like 18 people in a close range then monsters would start spawning a little bit away and move in to attack the players around the storage. I think this will sovle both problems the overcrowded areas and how the monsters appear

Seriously though, a few more wondering monsters (or bands of wandering monsters) would be nice: there should still be some safe areas of every currently safe map though.

@Kami: well.. you definitely have your points there, but you base your ideas more on NOW, on the current state of the game, whereas I suggested this for future. So the problem with lagging crowds "may" disappear one day, with a better server perhaps, improved code or both. Other games also have situations where masses of ppl fight against each other or against monsters... of course the games I'm thinking of have a lot more money for development and better servers, but I think EL is also trying to reach that state, where dozens of ppl can interact with each other without lagging like hell.

As for "uncertainty and surprises", we could need more of those... yes, but your suggestions introduce other problems. e.g: if monsters all of a sudden attack WSC they will most likely find a ghost town, because anly few players ever go to WSC, mostly newbies to middle-lvl players anyway. So perhaps there will be 3-5 ppl who get killed or manage to flee into houses, but where's the fun? It's like you'll be implementing a feature no one can really enjoy and see it happen. So after WSC gets attacked and you send your "blue message" into the world telling other players where the monster are, the same thing will happen as you described - players will first gather at storage places to change their gear and then just go to WSC - where is your surprise? There is none.

I probably know what you will say now: what if monsters attack a storage place, like VOTD? There will be at least 10-20 ppl on that map - and here's the surprise. Ok agreed, BUT first of all such attacks would favor only those ppl who hang around storages all the time, instead of exploring the world and second you might end up with ppl being pissed off because they lost their precious items.

Myself I agree with you and I wouldn't rant even if I lose all my armor and weapons, because I think that whenever you lose something you get the chance to gain even more, and it's fun to do so, but a lot of ppl will disagree.... unfortunately.

On the other hand... hmm... you could balance it by saying that being in the open you risk an attack, as opposed to the storage place in Portland for example. But then again, one problems stays... players who like to travel and explore will be disadvantaged, because they will never be the first to experience such an attack - rings of teleportation might help, but the outcome of this situation will depend of the capacity of EL's server to handle the crowds of ppl and monster. With rings you'll have dozens of ppl teleporting to the place of attack in to time. Maybe adding a special creature to the monsters, an orcish shaman (?) who will prevent the use of teleportation rings in this area as long as he stays alive? So ppl will at least be forced to take the "longer" road by using the ships...

btw: I never said attacks should occur at Isla Prima, IP should stay a safe place, after all it's a separate island.

Of City Guards & Scouts: if you try to base your arguments on realism and bring example of how it was handled in RL, then I can counter with a lot of stuff. But it will get to complicated.. taking account of everything is unnecessary. Guards can see pretty far from their walls, there can be sentries all over the island to watch for hostile activities (as it would really happen IRL if a city get's attacked by some creatures at least once, ppl will start making up preventative measures to avoid being overrun the next time). As I said before, owners of magic shops, can have crystal balls (that's more fantasy than RL now *g*), and so on and so forth.... an endless list comes to my mind.

The bottom line is.... if dev's have no intentions to implements raids into the game at any time, just talking about it now won't bring us far. Although I enjoy the conversation, the RAID-SUGGESTION is based on so many in-game things that may change as development goes on and with new features added we may end up with a completely different concept for the raids.

there should still be some safe areas of every  currently safe map though.
There would be safe places all over. You could teleport, just run and hide in a building, or some might even log off. Of corse if you were really afraid of a raid you could just stay on Isla Prima.

one small thing about the lagging crowd. its not the server that give this effect or the network. its the client that have a problem drawing all the people for some reason.

about animals randomly attacking.

i agree with the current system.

animals of nature do not attack unless "disturbed" (IE. attacked)

though animals do happen at times, due to the commoness of snakes and bears... having them chasing after you is not such a popular idea.

right now there are monsters out there who does attack because they are "evil creatures" or such.

I like the separation between nature's creatures and hell's minion.

Hope you understand why i do not favor the "randomly attacking animals".

I am thinking things like animals randomly attacking people would be more realistic. No worries about rabbits killing you, but be slow near bears lol ..  

Also what about Adding things like "Quick Sand"  

Trap doors, hidden passages.. Storms- ( You could get hit by lightening lol )  Differnt weather for each map, affter all You are travling 100's of miles on Those boats People. So on the colder maps, U need fur, warmer You need to have less on.. :-D stuff like that..

What about Harvesting Wood? should be a basic need for Swords ext. would be pretty worthless money wise.. but still needed.

Before you bash me further:

I was replying to ONLY the first post (shown above); therefore, my question did not have anything to do with your discussion with the others, and it is also why i said "about the animals randomly attacking" in my post.

Did you read every post in this topic but the first?]