Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CodeWarrior

EL Crashes either X or kernel... not sure which

This is a nasty one...

My desktop died yesterday, so I figured until I get a new Video Card for it, I'd play on my laptop. When I load it up, I am shown the window with the rules and then the login screen.

On the very first frame (before it draws anything), the whole machine crashes and I can't do anything after that apart from restart the computer.

I'm running ATI drivers, 8.24.8 (after trying to solve the problem on 8.23.7) I'd like to try on an earlier version, but I've read somewhere that you need > 8.23 in order to use 2.6.16 kernels.

my X.org is version 7.0.

System specs:

AMD Turion 64 (1800 mhz)

512 MB RAM (32 shared with the video card, but I have tested with 128 meg as well)

ATI IXP SB400 chipset (It appears)

ATI Radeon XPRESS 200M video card

I'm running gentoo linux.

If anyone has any idea what this could be or perhaps how I could go about debugging this, I'd appreciate it...

(Oh, and at one point I had this issue as well: http://www.eternal-lands.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=24025 but it went away after I restarted)

Edit:

I forgot to mention that I tried using the linux client on the site, the gentoo ebuild and from CVS with the same results)

Edited by CodeWarrior

EL can't crash X or your kernel, that's impossible unless you have some broken hardware. It's more likely that your ATi drivers are messing up.

I was figuring as much...

Wishful thinking on my behalf that I could fix it by modifying EL's source :'(

New drivers aren't an option unfortunately as 2.6.16 fixed a problem relating to this laptop's clock. I guess I'll just have to wait until I can get a new video card for my desktop machine...