Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
crusadingknight

Why are gargolyes Offensive? And in WSC?

Ok, I was walking through Wsc, and I was attacked by a gargoyle. I barely escaped! Why are they there, so strong, and offensive?

What of the newbs who need to kill white rabbits? :P

Here is my JPG pic, from before the attck

gargoyle.JPG

I didn't get an after one, I was so busy runnin for my life. :oops:

They are supposed to stay near the evil castle, but some of them get out of the maze, and attack people :P

I'll make a poll, wether or not people want the removed from there.

Yeah I had some fun with those gargoyles (Lost yet another hammer to one, black smith should give me a discount by now). For me it's not so bad when I have enough potions with me, but for flower picking newbies it could be a nuisance.

looks like its time you make a way to limit the monsters movement entropy :)

maybe say that when spawned a monster can go past 100-200x and 100-200y. then it can move about inside a box but not outside and it only applys for that monster.

I've got a better idea. Make gargoyles only active at night time and turn them into stone during the day. That'll make WSC fiendly enough for newbies during the day and the higher level players could go kill gargoyles during the night (or sell 'protection' to newbies who don't feel like waiting till the sun comes up).

btw, the guest is me. the board said i was logged in but then suddenly i was not...

btw, i liked the idea to :)

still, i think its time entropy puts in a way to limit where animals and mosnters go. having a puma walk around white stone city isnt exactly normal...

Cool idea sander!

About monster movements, maybe pumas in the city isn't exactly normal, but it's harmless, since they don't attack.

I saw one gargoyle on Lakeside Village and barely escaped with my life, but just a minute later i was attacked by a goblin the same second i arrived at Portland... it was lurking me at the boat (some kind of commando goblin apparently) well he made short work for me. Im just glad i arrived in time to save my precious equipment from vanishing(well not so precious, more like sentimental value), but again im drifting from the point of the post... I think there should be some kind of limiting factor to monster travelling... Like they couldn't travel inside the cities or something, or if they do travel inside the cities, there should be some guards to protect the peaceful citizens of Eternal Lands :wink:

I was walking in lakeside, near general store when this gargsomething killed me! :-P

Luckily, i got all my things back... (Thanks Thalos!)

I think it would be a nice idea to limit the monsters range, as someone suggeste here... Just define a (x,y) range that monsters can walk....

definetly a great idea sander! we could use this for a few types of creatures like vampires, warewolves, zombies...

Either as an alternate solution, or in addition to defining a range, you could define a lifespan for creatures. After a certain amount of time, they just disappear and respawn. This would prevent the animal/monster from wandering too far from their spawn points. The downside would be that if you're chasing an animal, and it suddenly disappears...

well one could say that if the lifespan have run out and some time have passed wihtout anyone seeing the monster its respawned. that way a monster thats hunted will not be removed in front of your eyes...

Either as an alternate solution, or in addition to defining a range, you could define a lifespan for creatures. After a certain amount of time, they just disappear and respawn. This would prevent the animal/monster from wandering too far from their spawn points. The downside would be that if you're chasing an animal, and it suddenly disappears...

Bad idea. It's irritating enough already, when you see a bag that might have some nice stuff, walk to it, and just as you try to click on it... Poofff, it disappears.

How about coding the different areas of maps with a 'level' indicator and monsters are biased to wander out of area lower then them unless in 'pursuit'. Don't make it an absolute line they can't cross, but something that makes them want to go a different direction, and the farther in they are they more it 'pushes' them out or to the side.

Instead of coding the map in detail, it may be enough to mark specific locations with a level & a strength and the calculate everything based on that and distance squared.

Snader's is a good suggestion ... I was just looking at it from a overall general rule for what could be used to keep tough monsters out of weaker areas. That way you don't have to keep revisiting this issue with each new monster.

Making such areas is.. hmm.. takes away from the game. I mean, there should always be a risk factor, makes the adrenaline flow. Also, I want to motivate players to do some combat too, not only harvesting.

Unleash goblins everywhere, every map! Make them a nuisance creature, a common sight...

MU HAHAHAHAA!

Making such areas is.. hmm.. takes away from the game. I mean, there should always be a risk factor, makes the adrenaline flow. Also, I want to motivate players to do some combat too, not only harvesting.
That was one reason why I was thinking that it should discourage them, but not totally rule out the possibility. With the discouragement factor, I could still see a hungry gargoyle going into newbie territory following a rabbit/newbie that had wandered out near the edge. But, hopefully after it gets away or is killed, the gargoyle will tend to wander away from the newbie area since there isn't anything to attract it any more.

It is always a balancing act with realism, risk, playability, and fun.

Warning: I've always preferred that have general rules affect things (with randoms as well) rather then preventing or causing specific things to happen. Having the unexpected happen can add to the fun :twisted: If you took it to the extreme, you'd even have to allow monsters to migrate from one map to another if their internal drives needing something they were missing. But all that is very different balancing act!

Right now, the monsters AI is just a few lines of C.

There are much more important things to be added first, like new weapons, armors, maps, housing, etc. since so far no one complained about the fact that the monsters are not inteligent enough.

I will make them smarter in a few months, after the basics will be implemented.

BTW, here is how the Orcs AI looks like:

void orc_ai(int actor_id)

{

int rand_result;

Uint8 str[32];

int i,j;

int our_target;

int cur_x,cur_y,target_x,target_y,delta_x,delta_y;

if(players[actor_id].fighting_with!=-1 || players[actor_id].preparing_to_be_attacked || players[actor_id].preparing_to_attack!=-1)

{

return;//later on, maybe try to flee, etc.

}

if(!players[actor_id].moving)

{

//ok, since we are idle, scan our range for pottential targets to attack...

for(i=0;i<max_players;i++)

{

if(players[actor_id].actors_in_range_list[i])

{

our_target=i;

//see if that guy is currently engaged in combat

if(players[our_target].logged_in && players[our_target].fighting_with==-1)

{

if(players[our_target].player_data.cape==CAPE_WHITE)continue;

cur_x=players[actor_id].player_data.x_pos;

cur_y=players[actor_id].player_data.y_pos;

target_x=players[our_target].player_data.x_pos;

target_y=players[our_target].player_data.y_pos;

delta_x=abs(cur_x-target_x);

delta_y=abs(cur_y-target_y);

if(delta_x>5 || delta_y>5)

{

continue;//too far

}

attack_target(actor_id,our_target);

return;

}

//see if that guy is closer than 5 tiles from us...

}

}

//check to see if it should move or not

rand_result=rand()%5;

if(rand_result==1)

leisure_cruise(actor_id);

}

}

I agree with ent...there should be more offensive creatures, to keep you on your toes