Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Enyo

horns of a dilemma

Why are we here in this game (or any online game or other online activity) spending infinite priceless, precious, unrecyleable, unusable minutes.. hours, days, weeks, months and even years again sitting in front of a heartless, cold machine which is unable to touch us, feel us or know us beyond the masks we wear?

To quit or not to quit or as Hamlet once said "to be or not to be is the question that I ask of thee". No, I'm not asking if "I" should leave or not because I'm a big girl and can make that decision all on my own and I'm not ready to leave, not just yet anyway. I know it will happen one day. One day I'll leave, won't we all?

This is simply a hypothetical question to myself as I ponder aloud (text it in this case) .. WHY are we all here?? with our postings, our arguing, our fighting, our loving, our fakeness, our clicking clicking clicking.. anyone ?? personne?? coucou??

Is it fulfilling some blackhole in our perpetual existance? .. escapism, a drug for our addictive needs? depression? loneliness? boredom? entertainment but then again how much clicking of a tool called a mouse does one need a day? has it replaced soap operas and nintendo gamecube or xbox or play station 2 ..what happened to soccer and football, golf, skating and hiking and swimming or how about walking.. does anyone walk anymore? does anyone breathe the fresh polluted air? or is it all recyled ?

Or is everyone agoraphobic like me? ;)

Conclusion: Its time for me to get out... au soleil! I don't know what your reasons are but maybe you should all (if you don't already) get out a little or allot more too.

Are you asking why we're addicted? :D I can't even play the game anymore since the last major update (curse thee, 3d graphics and my crappy video card! ;)), and yet here I am, still stalking the forums like a maniac. So why do I do it?

The community. I enjoy listening to what everyone has to say. It's quite a learning experience, especially with all these debates about the game economy. I find it fascinating how much it reflects real life. This semester, I had taken a course called Social Economics, and we discussed the same perspectives that people seem to come from.

Some think that the economy isn't broken, that it will self-correct, and that any tampering would result in even worse situations. In economic terms, these are conservatives.

Some think that the economy needs tweaking, that the administrators can present a solution that would fix the current problem. Sure, it might have other consequences, but these people have faith in the power of tweaking. If left to itself, the economy would destroy itself, hence the necessity of tweaking. In economic terms, these are liberals.

Then there are some who think that we need an entirely new economic system. The economy was broken from the very beginning (huge inflation before the "big crash," anyone?), and only in dictating minimum and maximum prices through NPCs, making sure everyone has an equal chance in making money, and balancing out the skills from the top to the bottom, can the economy truly "work." In economic terms, these are radicals.

Isn't it amazing how much EL reflects real life? Everyday I continue to find new parallels or perspectives I had not seen before. This is why I'm still here. It's not just a study of the game, it's a study of life on a virtual scale :lurker:

Note: Sorry for hijacking this thread, somewhat. I tried to keep on-topic as much as I could while still trying to get what I wanted to say across.

are some of us disabled?, unable to actually go outside, like myself, my disability limits my interaction with things because i can't see them properly (kerataconus) the sunshine will do more damage to my eyes than normal peops, so I look to things that will keep me amused , EL has the perfect package, it's free, you start with nothing and work your way up. so to some games like these are a way of life beacuse interaction in RL is very limited.

are some of us disabled?, unable to actually go outside, like myself, my disability limits my interaction with things because i can't see them properly (kerataconus) the sunshine will do more damage to my eyes than normal peops, so I look to things that will keep me amused , EL has the perfect package, it's free, you start with nothing and work your way up. so to some games like these are a way of life beacuse interaction in RL is very limited.

Something you might be interested in:

Support Group

The only reason I play is for friends. I use EL as a 3-D chatroom. If EL had little or no player interphase, then I still wouldn't be playing it

How much time do you stay on the computer a day? You don't have to answer if you don't want to. Thanks.

Hmmm, any local agencies in your area which need some volunteers? Perhaps you can get a little more involved in your real life community and spend less time here.

EL is my support group ;)

Maybe you should venture out of the virtual arena into the real life world of humans and try making a few friends there thus finding support beyond the 3D chat/forums. All humans don't bite.

Personally, I think its too easily for the internet and especially 3D chat programs/games and other chat programs to become a crutch to reality. Escapism is ok but to a certain degree. I speak from personal experience and the only reason that I am speaking candidly is not only to help me break away and find some balance but maybe to help a few others in the process.

There is life out there and being disabled or even home ridden is not a valid excuse to spend enormous amounts of valuable time on a game.. any game.. learn a new skill or hobby and I don't mean alchemy or potions. There is still much one can do within the confines of their home without wasting away in a game.

For those of us who can go out, there is absolutely NO excuse whatsover to fall victim to the lure of escaping to the point of neglect of work, friends, family, school.. even one self.

EL is a great game and I love playing it as most of us do but I must question once again WHY do we play it to such extremes? Watch a movie, take a walk, learn a hobby but whatever you do find some balance.

And for love..

Some people do meet online, fall in love and live happily ever after but.. for the most part online relationships are grounded in unreality and never come to fruitation... they don't materialize.. in otherwords it just doesn't happen. Why? Because one or both of the parties involved are married, dishonest, or are simply using the relationship as a means to escape their dreary life bringing a little excitement and love in their lives. I seriously doubt that this love is real or withstanding. How can it be until you've spent a great deal of time with someone.. know their smell, taste, etc.. how they walk and eat and even talk.. yeah yeah yeah.. you can pretend all that you want that you love their mind and soul but that isn't enough.

Get out more. Do more. Breathe the fresh air. Meet with an old friend. Start a new love. Do SOMETHING.

Certainly, about a month ago, I took a major look at myself - I am not what I thought I wanted to be. Certainly, I could do more, but what? I could be more, but what?

I live in the middle of nowhere - strange, I bet most of you can't imagine a place beyond the public transit lines. Or where the air is somewhat clean to breathe, at least part of the year. Or where when night falls and you turn out the lights, it's dark enough to actually see the stars.

In the past couple weeks, I had decided to get out more - walk more, breathe the fresh air more... What I got was a week of attempting to walk in a swampy field, a half-week of a dizzy, lethargic illness, and another week somewhere lost in there.

The internet is just that to me- a crutch to realiy. I could say a lots happened, and I need it, but the truth is even before the recent annoying events in my life I spent from when i got home from work until past midnight online.

Eternal Lands, writing stories, drawing/writing the webcomic

When I DO go out, its with a close circle of friends- and its normally to their houses to play d and d or something. I rarely go OUT out, you know why? Beause apparently me and my friends can;t go out for a quiet drink without abuse being hurled at us, fights ensuing, and us regretting it.

As for love? I love my friends. I love this girl I know. I love my family...well, most of them. My brother hates EL damnit!

Some of us use the internet...not because we HAVE to, or its the easier option

Some of us use it because its who we've become, and we don't regret becoming that person...much ;)

I present a distillation of various perspectives within the Arts and Social Sciences:

- Some (Sherry Turkle, for instance) have argued that our fascination with online technologies and online games/MUDs stems from the innate anonymity of the medium. Because we are free to be not who we seem to be, the internet allows us to experiment with our self-identity and social roles, both rebelling against them and reaffirming their place in our lives. Our sense of self is starting to change from a unified, bounded being trapped in one body with one personality to a diversified and distributed self, spread out over many "windows" (of which RL is just one) and with many different facets to our personalities. In a sense, we are all starting to develop MPD, except that it is not a disorder, but rather due to the evolution of human psyche. My online self becomes an extension and antithesis of my offline self, and both merge in a strange synthesis to produce my whole self. My "real" self is neither online nor offline, but comes from both. We are cyborgs in mind, not body.

- Others (like Jacques Lacan, who was heavily inspired by Freud) have argued that our growing fascination with technology comes from our unconscious desire for the Other and for control. All people, especially young adolescent males who make up the large majority of the gaming population, have experienced a psychological trauma at birth - that of being subjected to the will of his mother to eject him out of her body. This has produced a loss of a sense of unity within us, and we constantly strive to fill it up again, through redefining our identity. When we recognise that we are incomplete, we know that there are things which are not us - that which we call the Other. This can be other people, other organisms, other minds, other machines. We seek to understand and control the Other, so that we become strengthened in who we are. We define ourselves by who we are not. The Other becomes a tool for us to fulfill our sense of unity when we control it. By controlling who I am not, I can better understand who I am supposed to be. By understanding and controlling technology, I discover that I am NOT technology. Technology is Other to me, but I have used it to help unify my Self.

- Still others (like Kline, Dyer and de Peuter) have argued that we are all trapped in the cycle of post-Fordist postmodern capitalism. Our culture and values have shifted from liking material commodities to liking experiential commodities. We have been so schooled by the media to want "new experiences" that we overlook the material reality they are based on. We don't just want a car that can drive us from place A to place B, we want the experience of being in a really powerful car, or a really fast car, or a really cool car. And if our car (which may still be in perfectly good condition) doesn't give us that experience, we happily scrap it for a newer model that will, in the endless rat race that drives capitalism. Games are like that. They are experiential goods and not material goods. They sell you "an experience", not something lasting. And because it is merely "an experience", it will wear off and create a desire for more experiences of the same sort again. Endless demand from consumers is the fundamental tenet of information capitalism. We play games and go online for the endless experiences it gives us, not realising that we are forever trapped in this vicious cycle of needing more experiences like this, and being willing to pay for more and more, like a drug. All this because capitalism and postmodernism has been at the core of our culture so long that it has affected our mindset. What's important isn't the material reality of nature or society anymore, it's the experience.

and I think I'll stop here. There's a whole bunch of other interesting arguments about why we play games, go online or othewise stick to technology, but to cover all of them in one forum post would be insane.

~Shouja~

Edited by Shouja

I present a distillation of various perspectives within the Arts and Social Sciences:

and I think I'll stop here. There's a whole bunch of other interesting arguments about why we play games, go online or othewise stick to technology, but to cover all of them in one forum post would be insane.

~Shouja~

Thanks for that breakdown from the various opinions and perspectives within the Arts and Social Sciences... But, who asked you to cover them all in one forum post? We wouldn't want you to do anything insane. I asked people to tell us in their own words based on their own personal experiences WHY do they play to the point of addiction or even beyond that, not to do a google search on why people play online games and then copy and paste the results. I appreciate the time involved but if thats what I wanted, I could have just as easily done that myself.

In that nice copy and paste, do you have room for your own thoughts about why do YOU play? Why do you play??

Edited by Savyl

Actually, I study this as my major in university. I got into the subject because of my addiction to EL at one point in time. So it's not like I copied and pasted... everything is put into my own words. Those are the three viewpoints that were most relevant to how I thought about playing online games.

I play because it helps me reaffirm my identity. Playing was therapeutic, in that sense. But as I play, I find myself increasingly enmeshed in games and technology, so much so that it's hard to withdraw out of it. (Does this sound familiar?) The computer has become an extension of myself. It's hard to conceive of a life without it sometimes. And when that happens, I started wondering whether it was because there was some sort of unconscious desire within me to master and control technology. Or maybe it was the other way around, and technology was controlling me, because I had been conditioned to it from my culture. I don't know. Maybe it is both.

Does that help to explain how the three perspectives relate to my view of things? Just because it sounds academic doesn't mean it's not personal. :) I just happen to write this way. :o (But the specific sites referred to were Googled, yes. That was really more for anyone interested in further reading. I already knew of their works beforehand.)

~Shouja~

WHY do i sit in front of my pc at hours on end playing video games?

That is a good question...

I guess the main reason is because it is how i get my entertainment when friends are not around.

I do not go for walks or participate in sports in the winter cuz i really hate the cold, except for dance. which i will never give up, and when i'm old enough and qualify for the position of teacher i will spread my knowledge, and maybe be able to make a small difference in someone's life.

I do enjoy talking walks in the summer and go for bike rides...only problem is that my area where i live in is ALL hills. there is only like one flat street in the whole town. If i could drive i would go take my bike somewhere where i can go have a nice ride. like the state park. But that won't happen until i get my license.

The only time when i do go out and hang out with friends are usually on the weekend nights. We usually will have a party at someone's house, or just have a movie night with just a few friends.

I also spend some time learning and playing new instruments, but i still seem to spend more time here, then anywhere else.

I guess i really do not have a good reasonof why i spend all the time i do in front of my pc, other then the fact that i'm a geek :o

Kat, at least you have more balance in your life than most of us do. You go to school, you have your music, you go to parties and visit your friends so being here isn't your only pasttime. You're doing ok it seems to me. :):icon13:

wow sorry i misunderstood .that if you you couldn't physically walk out of your house ,that you didn't have a life!!!...) It's people like you that think because they beleive in GOD or think they wlak on ther path of righteousness, they are in the right all the time. just beacuse you think you are a child of GOD, righteousness doesn't always follow you ... AND yeah so what i was baptised on my own accord at the age of 18 many years ago, NOw i'm old enough to come to terms with my disability and my life... i have put my life in order , and yes i am very happy to continue with my lack of sight and to make life as fun as possible, and play games without fear of able bodied people telling me what i should do and shouldn''t in order to make THEM happy... Get a life and stop dictating to others how they should live their lives, damn hypocrites

...as a born again Christian like myself and as you aware saying yourself, You should have more understanding... or is that all hot air? like the rest of the faith ...now please tell me what i should do next in my utterless life that you think i have cos by the sound of things i'm a hell of alot happier than you in my life and games.

Please feel free to moan at me...

cos My life is full of life...if not RL then other things that amuse me :)

oh and if you want to get me kicked from the forums/game, you are more than welcome

you gotta love the person that thinks they're perfect

though none exist...

Edited by sKuller

wow sorry i misunderstood .that if you you couldn't physically walk out of your house ,that you didn't have a life!!!...) It's people like you that think because they beleive in GOD or think they wlak on ther path of righteousness, they are in the right all the time. just beacuse you think you are a child of GOD, righteousness doesn't always follow you ... AND yeah so what i was baptised on my own accord at the age of 18 many years ago, NOw i'm old enough to come to terms with my disability and my life... i have put my life in order , and yes i am very happy to continue with my lack of sight and to make life as fun as possible, and play games without fear of able bodied people telling me what i should do and shouldn''t in order to make THEM happy... Get a life and stop dictating to others how they should live their lives, damn hypocrites

...as a born again Christian like myself and as you aware saying yourself, You should have more understanding... or is that all hot air? like the rest of the faith ...now please tell me what i should do next in my utterless life that you think i have cos by the sound of things i'm a hell of alot happier than you in my life and games.

cos My life is full of life...if not RL then other things that amuse me :)

oh and if you want to get me kicked from the forums/game, you are more than welcome

though none exist...

WOW! Where did all of this hostility come from? :):) I have NO idea what you are talking about.

beacuse you are saying that people need lives, for playing too much online games or games in such, saying that we all need to get out more and have a life such as yourself ," cos we are all sad and lonely for playing a game that takes so much of our lives" That is what it sounds like to me...but then i'm a realist with no eyes :) , Ssome of us play games for releif from the outside world...and now people who have played for years are saying *yeah you should get out more*... what you want people out the way so you can level more?...or that because people don't follow your advice we're all wrong?.... again hypocritical... you say that i may be interested in something that is a load of formal bollocks ie the support group you {you don't wan't to know how many therapy sessions i have been to about my *lack of eyesight * i just don't need people telling me to get out more and make friends when i have all the friends i need , and the years of playability in a game that makes me comfortable to play each day without thinking "I hate this game " and if you can't understnand my typing then i apologise.. WYSIWYG :)

OOps shut your mouth ladies and gents as i think i have just been kicked

Edited by sKuller

beacuse you are saying that people need lives, for playing too much online games or games in such, saying that we all need to get out more and have a life such as yourself ," cos we are all sad and lonely for playing a game that takes so much of our lives" That is what it sounds like to me...but then i'm a realist with no eyes ;) , Ssome of us play games for releif from the outside world...and now people who have played for years are saying *yeah you should get out more*... what you want people out the way so you can level more?...or that because people don't follow your advice we're all wrong?.... again hypocritical... you say that i may be interested in something that is a load of formal bollocks ie the support group you {you don't wan't to know how many therapy sessions i have been to about my *lack of eyesight * i just don't need people telling me to get out more and make friends when i have all the friends i need , and the years of playability in a game that makes me comfortable to play each day without thinking "I hate this game " and if you can't understnand my typing then i apologise.. WYSIWYG ;)

OOps shut your mouth ladies and gents as i think i have just been kicked

Do I want people away so that I can level more?! :) I'm sorry but NONE of what you are saying makes any sense. I think you have some serious issues to react like this. :):):(:o

The only reason I play is for friends. I use EL as a 3-D chatroom. If EL had little or no player interphase, then I still wouldn't be playing it

How much time do you stay on the computer a day? You don't have to answer if you don't want to. Thanks.

3 Hours at most O.o

3 Hours at most O.o

Three hours is reasonable. At least you also have a real life outside the realms of the computer. I think allot of people simply leave their char logged on as I do in AFK mode and then check periodically for messages. They play when they can which actually might be a mere fraction of the time that their char is logged on.

As Shouja as said (by the way, I love your last post Shouja... I even liked the first actually) the internet has become a way of life for most of the world. Thats not a bad thing because we can make new friends. The net is great for research or education or so much more. We just have to make sure that we don't allow it to consume us and take over our lives, thus replacing reality with virtual reality. As long as its kept in balance and proper perspective, its a great thing. :D

EDIT: My whole purpose behind starting this post was mainly to address myself and those like me who abuse the net to the point of addiction spending infinite hours online. I've since stopped doing that. I woke up one day and simply made a decision and that decision was to be alive again. I still spend entirely too much time online but at least I've taken steps to wean myself off.... like a drug.

Edited by Savyl

i guess i'll start out by saying that i play these games and socialize over other forms of the net for the quality of ppl. there are at least more online concentrated in places than 1 could ever find locally. hence the chances of finding ppl i like are greatly improved.

i live out in the country. where there are fewer ppl, (INTENTIONALLY!!! i wasn't born here by any means,) because it's been where there are larger groups of ppl there are also larger groups of undesirable ppl. for some reason those types of ppl are drawn to me like a magnet, and w/ them comes trouble. i moved out here to stay out of trouble.

right now, having bought and paid for my own property by the age of 27, it's not quite livable yet seeing as i did it the easily financially/ difficult livability way, and bought my 5 acres as raw land. so living in this situation currently, (bad choices and help from an ex put me directly on the property,) make it so i would rather not have company here of those few ppl i can find locally that i like.

i'm not good at making friends, (at least not considering most ppl friends,) because i don't like the falseness ppl display. i won't be nice to people who don't deserve it for the sake of politeness. just like i expect that if some1 doesn't like me or the things i do or say, i expect them to tell me. i'd rather argue w/ somebody because:

• 1.) they may have a point i hadn't considered and/or i may learn something.
    2.) at least then i know for sure they're being honest and i can respect that, instead of just nodding away what i say being polite and then showing later that they either misunderstood, or simply ignored it. i can't respect some1 who isn't up-front w/ me.

also locally, if i don't like some1 i can tell them to shut up, that i don't care what they have to say, (for whatever reason i choose,) without it causing a problem. online, i can just put them on some sort of ignore and the problem is solved.

i guess in short, i use the net to socialize w/ ppl on my terms, to help my fragile sanity, and to help keep me out of trouble.

that being said:

And for love..

Some people do meet online, fall in love and live happily ever after but.. for the most part online relationships are grounded in unreality and never come to fruitation... they don't materialize.. in otherwords it just doesn't happen. Why? Because one or both of the parties involved are married, dishonest, or are simply using the relationship as a means to escape their dreary life bringing a little excitement and love in their lives. I seriously doubt that this love is real or withstanding. How can it be until you've spent a great deal of time with someone.. know their smell, taste, etc.. how they walk and eat and even talk.. yeah yeah yeah.. you can pretend all that you want that you love their mind and soul but that isn't enough.

actually, in my own neandering experience, out of the SEVERAL relationships i've had 2 of the best 3 i've had, (meaning those that lasted more than 1 yr,) started on the net. the last of which lasted 5yrs, ended w/ me in this situation but that was because family got involved and other things, it just became a huge mess. (btw there's also a 4th going on now long distance that will become in person, it's just a matter of financing at this point.

i believe this to b because online ppl feel secure behind these machines, and those that don't just consider the the net as some strange fantasy-land, (they do on IRC too,) are generally more open and honest, not really trying to impress ne1, but merely being themselves.

it's been my experience that in the dating/relationship scene that ppl are too busy trying to impress the other person in the beginning to b honest in who they are. that bases any relationship started in falsehood and severely degrades any chance of lasting. plus, there are so many ppl out there just looking for the physical aspect only that it plants a seed of distrust in the 1's looking for the real thing. online, when it comes it's unexpected, and it usually comes when not looking. and is VERY real.

as for 1 or both being married, or dishonesty, that happens even more in person. at least online 9/10 times it comes to nothing in the end, unlike in-person, where u've slept w/ this person, and things have went much faster. at least online for the most part u can get to know some1 better BEFORE taking any real risks.

though, i do understand u'r distrust of it all, because there are many ppl online who consider the whole net as some sort of a fantasy land. these are the ppl who come online fully to b some1 they're not, (and fail because 1's personality always bleeds through eventually,) and/or are married thinking they can have their spouse, and some online fling to compensate for what they're not getting in their marriage, and think it's not cheating, instead of figuring out their marriage and either fixing the problem, or disolving the marriage.

though, it's been my experience, that even those flings do serve a purpose though, because getting to know another person online in that way they sometimes realize that they've developed feelings for the other person and are forced to re-evaluate their marriage, and either choose to fix their marriage, or go w/ the new interest, disolving the marriage.

1 of the 2 longest of mine that started online was w/ a married woman and it worked out this way. it only ended because the child of mine she was carrying miscarried, and neither of us handled it very well.

well these are my experiences on the love part of u'r post Savyl, i won't say that they're right, but i will stand by them untill i have other experiences that make me question them. take them or leave them as u will.

Get out more. Do more. Breathe the fresh air. Meet with an old friend. Start a new love. Do SOMETHING.

Certainly, about a month ago, I took a major look at myself - I am not what I thought I wanted to be. Certainly, I could do more, but what? I could be more, but what?

I live in the middle of nowhere - strange, I bet most of you can't imagine a place beyond the public transit lines. Or where the air is somewhat clean to breathe, at least part of the year. Or where when night falls and you turn out the lights, it's dark enough to actually see the stars.

In the past couple weeks, I had decided to get out more - walk more, breathe the fresh air more... What I got was a week of attempting to walk in a swampy field, a half-week of a dizzy, lethargic illness, and another week somewhere lost in there.

the country's nice ain't it? much prefer the sounds to animals at night, compared to sirens, gunshots, and the like...lol

The internet is just that to me- a crutch to realiy. I could say a lots happened, and I need it, but the truth is even before the recent annoying events in my life I spent from when i got home from work until past midnight online.

Eternal Lands, writing stories, drawing/writing the webcomic

When I DO go out, its with a close circle of friends- and its normally to their houses to play d and d or something. I rarely go OUT out, you know why? Beause apparently me and my friends can;t go out for a quiet drink without abuse being hurled at us, fights ensuing, and us regretting it.

As for love? I love my friends. I love this girl I know. I love my family...well, most of them. My brother hates EL damnit!

Some of us use the internet...not because we HAVE to, or its the easier option

Some of us use it because its who we've become, and we don't regret becoming that person...much :o

well i think i've seen a study 1ce that showed that usually the more intellectual types were the types that played RPGs, and half of the time, at least partially, for that very reason. maybe we should do what alot of other online communities have done, and start trying to host meets for those we get along best w/. after my property's made livable and presentable i plan to host a couple. maybe if ppl like the idea i might here as well. :D

cos My life is full of life...if not RL then other things that amuse me :D

though none exist...

well, while i don't understand the COMPLETE relevance of this post other than marginally, i think i do understand where u'r comming from about u'r views of most ppl. that's partially of y i come here as well, to deal w/ ppl on my terms.

offtopic: commenting on u'r religious part of the comment, that's precicely y i'm an athiest, because of all the hypocracy, i just can't believe something from ppl that say 1 thing then turn around and do the same damned things they're condemning.

well that's my take on all this. take or leave any or all of it as u see fit.

the country's nice ain't it? much prefer the sounds to animals at night, compared to sirens, gunshots, and the like...lol

There's something I've always liked better about a few trees and a lot of grass, as opposed to the concrete jungle. With or without the gunshots.

Only thing that kinda worries me is how the city seems to grow closer, every year...

well, while i don't understand the COMPLETE relevance of this post other than marginally, i think i do understand where u'r comming from about u'r views of most ppl. that's partially of y i come here as well, to deal w/ ppl on my terms.

offtopic: commenting on u'r religious part of the comment, that's precicely y i'm an athiest, because of all the hypocracy, i just can't believe something from ppl that say 1 thing then turn around and do the same damned things they're condemning.

I didn't understand any of his post because he was full of hate and directing it all towards to me. Personally, I think he has some major issues to attack me like that just because I posted something rather simple concerning my own life. As for him or for anyone else we were all just exchanging dialogue and then skuller goes nuts for no apparent reason. My post had nothing to do with God or religion or anything like that. It was just me trying to find some perspective in it all. :pinch:

Anyway, thanks for your post cowboy.. was very interesting.

There's something I've always liked better about a few trees and a lot of grass, as opposed to the concrete jungle. With or without the gunshots.

Only thing that kinda worries me is how the city seems to grow closer, every year...

personally, i prefer it the other way around w/ LOTS of trees for obscurity, but that's the beauty of being in the country, u can have things just about any way that u like.

as for the city encroaching, i don't have to worry about that where i am, the closest thing i have to it is an exurb of high class ppl around a lake about 4 miles away from me, that have come out to the country probably for about the same reasons that i have. so i don't see them helping the city encroach any. and the rest of the ppl w/in a half hr drive in any direction are mostly farmers of some sort (mostly cattle) and they dan't give up their land. the government will even help them, because in my area, is where most of this countrie's food (meat mostly) supply comes from. though in exchange for the funding they're bogged down w/ all kinds of restrictions.

I didn't understand any of his post because he was full of hate and directing it all towards to me. Personally, I think he has some major issues to attack me like that just because I posted something rather simple concerning my own life. As for him or for anyone else we were all just exchanging dialogue and then skuller goes nuts for no apparent reason. My post had nothing to do with God or religion or anything like that. It was just me trying to find some perspective in it all. :omg:

Anyway, thanks for your post cowboy.. was very interesting.

firstly, i'll just say n/p, just was putting my thoughts in.

as for skuller, i think they simply took u'r offer and the like as a personal assault on the way they chose to do things. no so much them having issues, as a miscommunication between the 2 of u. if u would have suggested i get some kind of help or something, it's possible that i might react the same way. they are happy doing things the way they choose to do them, just like most ppl here are. if it gets to b a problem to them then they will do something about it.

just like i do it because it's convenient for me to do things on my terms, it's convenient for other ppl to b here for thier own reasons. if ever it becomes inconvenient for them they may re-evaluate things much like i believe u'r starting to do now, for u'r own personal reasons.

but back to my point. i believe they took it as since u thought it was right for u to re-evaluate things, that u were trying to dictate to every1 else that they should as well. looked at in that light, i think it's understandable that it could b taken badly. whether or not that was u'r intention was irrelevant, that's how they took it i believe.

skuller, feel free to correct me if i'm mistaken.