Eternal Lands Official Forums
Guest shaihulud

Recycling!

Guest shaihulud

i've read most of the posts on fixing the economy and some people also had the idea of some kind of recycling or reusing items like iron swords to make better swords. i like thet idea but would think it would be even better if you could disassamble the items again but would suffer some kind of minus. for example the steel shield would need 5 fire essences to recycle 1 steel shield with the same chance on success as in making.

i think it would stop people from fludding the market with items they made to level. they would only try to sell some of the items to cover the expenses they had on pofs. this system may work for manufacturer, potion makers and crafters - so for all the items that are killing ther market system.

tell me what you think of the idea and give some other examples on crafting or potion making since i'm not very familiar with those professions.

greetz

shaihulud

Guest shaihulud

I think you should post in the other thread, if everyone has done this we would have had 180 new topics...

then could some admin please move it?

This is a worthy idea, and it can be in it's own thread.

I did think about doing this a while ago, and AFAIK, there is a skill in UO to do that.

But by doing this, while the swords problem would be solved, the bars problem will be amplified.

Anyway, like I was saying, there will be a massive need for the lower level swords soon (in a month or so).

This is a worthy idea, and it can be in it's own thread.

I did think about doing this a while ago, and AFAIK, there is a skill in UO to do that.

But by doing this, while the swords problem would be solved, the bars problem will be amplified.

Anyway, like I was saying, there will be a massive need for the lower level swords soon (in a month or so).

no offense or disrespect intended ent, but i really don't think external uses for them is the answer. they were put into the game for a purpose, to fight with. i believe that the best answer would be to make weapons more viable and useful in the game, not just provide places to dump them.

A massive need for lower level swords doesn't help very much if making massive numbers of swords doesn't trickle down into the economy. Someone making iron swords (with the current formulas and NPC buy/sell prices) can't afford to buy the metal bars from players so they have to make the bars themselves.

Somehow this idea makes sense.

The skill to recycle such items should be manufacturing.

8 steel bars, 2 iron bars, 5 fire essences to make a steel shield.

5 fire essences to recycle it and to get 7 steel bars and 1 iron bar.

For both, making and recycling, you get XP.

So you dont need a huge amount of bars to make countless steel shields to train manu and dump them later in the Rivan sea coz nobody buys it, you can train manu with a much smaller amount of bars, make only a few items you can sell for a reasonable price.

You need more FE's (let it even be 10 FE's to recycle the shield), which is a way to get those huge amounts of FE's off the market.

Sounds somehow nice to me, concerning metal stuff. I highly doubt that recycling leather pants would make sense.

Piper

Well if you read the topic about the economy fix this has been proposed like 3-4 times. Read suggestion forum => proposed many times.

I don't want to sound rude at all, but this is offered so many times and always had a negative reply. It feels very strange towards me how ideas have been handled so far.

My 329 cents.

YOu could just give me all of your unwanted items :D

Yes I wouldn't mind either. ;)

I wonder what teh use will be. :lurker:

This idea has been suggested in the huge gigantic monstrous alien thread on the economy. :P;):P:)

Edited by Savyl

Well i know i dont want to go searching through the enormous economy thread looking for this 1 discussion and then making a reply to it.

I dunno about you, but id rather see a seperate thread instead of looking at 5 pages of posts.

Well i know i dont want to go searching through the enormous economy thread looking for this 1 discussion and then making a reply to it.

I dunno about you, but id rather see a seperate thread instead of looking at 5 pages of posts.

Because normally you should to do a search before posting in the first place to make sure the topic hasn't already been started or suggested and in this particular case this idea of yours is not original and has been suggested in the economy thread, thats why. Then what we have is threads all spread out spamming the forums when they should be posts in one thread according to topic.

Edited by Savyl

I like the idea shaihulud, I also suggested we increase the breakage of weapons and armor. Also increase tankels chance at repairing items or not. This could also bring in a new skill for manufacture which is to repair items.

This would bring new books. And also get tankel or players to repair items. This was suggested between myself and demoncowboy during game. Also taking away ore and flower selling.

Another concept was to put a limit on how much of certain items people can have in storage. This would cause fuss, but as such any change to the economy people will find annoying.

In part to entropys views and changes lately to the game, making uses for the swords like summoning is good, people can summon more but it still comes down to the fact the manuers now have ANOTHER reason to make items in mass production.

Any change to prices and sale prices to npcs will cause effects to the economy in bad and good ways. But any sort of fix to the economy is going to be temporary.

What we really need is mathematician who can come up with some ways to fix the economy. But i strongly feel that someone shouldn't be able to have 300+ swords in their storage.

This post is also related to the Economy thread but posting it here.

i've read most of the posts on fixing the economy and some people also had the idea of some kind of recycling or reusing items like iron swords to make better swords. i like thet idea but would think it would be even better if you could disassamble the items again but would suffer some kind of minus. for example the steel shield would need 5 fire essences to recycle 1 steel shield with the same chance on success as in making.

i think it would stop people from fludding the market with items they made to level. they would only try to sell some of the items to cover the expenses they had on pofs. this system may work for manufacturer, potion makers and crafters - so for all the items that are killing ther market system.

tell me what you think of the idea and give some other examples on crafting or potion making since i'm not very familiar with those professions.

greetz

shaihulud

I am a manufacturer. I do a bit of everything, but my main skill is manu. In some ways I see this (and the idea on the other thread about using lower lvl item to make higher lvl ones) as a viable idea. I'm not sure it will necessarily help the economy much, but I like the idea.

This is part of the problem I see with the economy: Everyone wants to make money. In turn they price their items slightly (or in some cases drastically) lower than the average just to make a sale. After that happens a few times then the buyer sees this new price point and will no longer pay the higher standard price. The new price point becomes standard and the cycle starts over again. In selling items for less the seller must create more items to make the same amount of money they previously did with fewer items.

Now, I don't know about other manufacturers, but I for one don't have alot of low level weapons sitting around in storage that I am trying to sell. Even after them being added to the summoning formulas (which I am still glad was implemented) I have not made a single low level item for a summoner. For leveling it's leather helms and they get sold to trik. I break even on the helms so no gc is added to my pocket from making them. For money(and hopes of a modable) I make steel longs and sell to Trik. For the time it takes for me to harv all the ingredients and make them I am by no means rich. I also have some of the higher level items that i keep in stock for sales on Market, but generally not in quanties higher than 20 unless I am going to go on a selling spree and try to make some cash.

How does the above relate to the topic of recycling? I don't have alot of low level items sitting around to recycle. Would I make some for the reason of recycling? Maybe, if we received xp from taking the item apart. Would I make low level items if they were required in the formula for higher level items? You bet I would. But the fact remains the same that I don't make alot of weapons other than steel longs so I would just be making an iron sword>iron broad>steel long and selling to Trik for money. It would take longer for the whole process as it would add two steps required per sword, and I guess if there are people with alot of weapons sitting around then they could at least make something else out of it.

On taking items back apart. This could be interesting from the stand-point of if I had 20 steel shields and needed to make a few steel chain right away for a guild mate but had no bars. I could take apart the shields and re-use the bars to make the chains. I like that idea. Could help to balance out some of a persons inventory if needed.

I also liked the idea of being able to repair weapons/armor. This doesn't get items out of the market, but does make sense as a manufacture skill. I mean, since I have the knowledge and skill to make full plate and ti axe then why can't I repair it if it becomes damaged? Make it require a higher skill lvl and books to repair the items.

So to sum up my thoughts on this idea(and to stop straying from the topic). I like the idea. For my specific situation it won't help me much, if at all. As far as helping the economy, I am not sure if it will have a large impact on the problem, but I don't see how it would hurt it further.

greetz

shaihulud

Do you mean taking the blade off the hilt sort of disassembly or turning it into bars or turning it into ore?

If you mean turning it into ore, it would definately be alchemy instead of manufacturing.

If you mean turning it into bars, that would be alchemy and maybe a little bit of manufacturing.

As for the idea of taking the swords and shields apart into the blade+hilt or handle+face, that would be manufacturing.

I do love the idea. It just needs to be defined better.

Dude....2 months old topic....

P.S.:+1

Just because a topic is old, doesn't mean people can't add to it.

I am just adding my voice to the crowd. Leave it at that or make useful feedback....

....but feedback on people's timing is not very useful at all. :P