Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
roswell_r

PVP PK Ethics

PVP is not supposed to be an easy way to level!! It's a way for players to fight and kill each other!

Please start to accept that.

Huh? I supposed that PvP means training with partner to improve mainly your defense and it's done without weapons. And killing players is PKing. Correct or explain this to have precise definition of difference between PvP and PK.

May Thor and Odin watch over EL ;)

What? I thought that PvP meant hiring assasins to try to kill a player that annoyed you. Or doing it yourself.

Btw, it was just 100gc for Roswell.... Kidding.

In my own honest opinion, Pk ethics are what each player thinks they are. Each players code of honour etc.

Sometimes you really want to kill someone.. but this person only enters pk areas to pvp... what are we suppose to do then? watch and boil inside? ;)

You have a point there.

I guess i would prob pk the person even if they only ventured around the entrances/exits. But he/she could see me and run away before i could get them. So maybe there should be a honor rule/cowards rule that you cannot hange around entrances/exits of PK & therefore have no need to pk at entrances/exits?

I always considered PK maps as free for all... no rules ....Thats why I avoided them for much of my early playing days..

I you want to train by PvP then you take the risk on getting pked...just take cheap armour and minimal pots/ess or as others have said go to one of the deserted PK maps..

If you are constantly being attacked (probably because you have upset people) then stop yer moaning and go train on monsters... thats one reason that they are in the game...95% of my a/d has come from the monsters/animals provided..stop whinging because you want to get a/d up a bit faster by pvp.

Part of the excitement in this game comes from the dangers of running through a pk map... Too many want to stroll around with their mm and be perfectly safe everywhere ... (Gotta luv Hulda and the arctic chimes... ;) )

Gotta luv Hulda and the arctic chimes... :P

I love Hulda, it's shortcut to Trassian :) And if you're fast paced, you can make it :P

Anyway, people cannot really moarn their deaths in PK. Hell it's P.K.=player KILLING, what do you expect will happen there?

Sometimes you really want to kill someone.. but this person only enters pk areas to pvp... what are we suppose to do then? watch and boil inside? :o

if they're that much weaker than u, yeah. but u could get a friend or guildmate around the same material points as them (only reliable measure considering the privacy feature) to take them out and keep doing it.

PVP is not supposed to be an easy way to level!! It's a way for players to fight and kill each other!

Please start to accept that.

i do - i simply think that a code of ethics should b hammered out by the players so that ppl that want to can have a reason that everybody can accept to kill some1 picking on a lower lvl player or whatnot. because there is no honor in an easy fight.

besides i've suggested in a thread to improve the economy to change the way a/d exp is gotten from exp/hit to exp/kill for economic reasons, but it would also take care of the easy lvling like that anyway.

Huh? I supposed that PvP means training with partner to improve mainly your defense and it's done without weapons. And killing players is PKing. Correct or explain this to have precise definition of difference between PvP and PK.

May Thor and Odin watch over EL :)

ok so every1 becomes on the same page as me on this, (whether they agree w/ my thoughts on this issue (not definition) is something entirely different), i'm taking the definitions from another game i have played and they are as such:

PvP = Player versus Player: Combat with another player for honorable rewarding combat. this can be to the death or not, can be for items or whatever. includes: duels, training, wars, and most other combat situations.

PK = Player Killing: this, even on that game they named it wrong, because it was used to define ppl that picked on newbs and any1 weaker than them for cheap thrills, easy items, or simply because their character was so screwed up to b able to handle fighting ppl close to themselves. completely honorless combat, kinda like higher lvl players putting bags out and enticing newbs to come into the maps just to take them out. it's not worth doing exp wise or nething else.

In my own honest opinion, Pk ethics are what each player thinks they are. Each players code of honour etc.

that's what i'm talking about. i think we as a community establish what should b considered honorable and dishonorable, lawful and lawless, so that people that want to be lawful and maybe even punish the lawless can. this being done will also help bring even more ppl to these maps for the following reasons:

• 1.) people will feel more secure (though in reality they won't really be because an "outlaw" could still come at any time and dispatch them.) bringing more ppl to the maps. outlaws and lawful alike.
    2.) people playing honorable lawful characters can police these maps for outlaws, still bringing even more use to the maps.
    3.) w/ a set of "laws" that the majority of the community can agree too, there will be less confusion about what is and is not honorable between players and guilds. causing fewer disputes that don't need to happen if neither party wants. so ppl won't have to fear going on these maps because they made enemies that they didn't want that would cause them trouble.

i personally don't mind losing my stuff when i die to some1. it's part of the game. i do think it's pretty pathetic though that some1 w/ 120health will take out some1 w/ 25health and treat it like it's honorable when it's not. i can understand taking out some1 w/ 80health though because that person w/ 80health just might suprise the 1 w/ 120 and beat them, or maybe just get lucky. some1 w/ 25 hasn't got a snowballs chance in hell. where's the honor in that?

Edited by DemonCowboy

Sometimes you really want to kill someone.. but this person only enters pk areas to pvp... what are we suppose to do then? watch and boil inside? :o

if they're that much weaker than u, yeah. but u could get a friend or guildmate around the same material points as them (only reliable measure considering the privacy feature) to take them out and keep doing it.

Yeh poo to that.. If somebody is on my PK list they are there for a darn good reason... I dont care what level they are..I will personally kill them...thats the idea of putting people on your PK list.

Maybe when they get sick of you killing them they will get the message to either make amends (like apologise or repay db or whatever) or keep the hell away from PK areas untill they can defend themselves.

If I had no gripe with the person they were PvPing with I would offer my apologies to that person and explain why I just sent their PvP partner to hell.. (I would like to point out that I do not have that many on my PK list...and most of them are on multiple guild/players lists).

Yeh poo to that.. If somebody is on my PK list they are there for a darn good reason... I dont care what level they are..I will personally kill them...thats the idea of putting people on your PK list.

Maybe when they get sick of you killing them they will get the message to either make amends (like apologise or repay db or whatever) or keep the hell away from PK areas untill they can defend themselves.

If I had no gripe with the person they were PvPing with I would offer my apologies to that person and explain why I just sent their PvP partner to hell.. (I would like to point out that I do not have that many on my PK list...and most of them are on multiple guild/players lists).

but picking on some1 that much weaker just makes u seem pathetic though. let a friend take care of u'r lightwork. especially if u have multiple ppl doing it they'll get the message even faster as well.

but picking on some1 that much weaker just makes u seem pathetic though. let a friend take care of u'r lightwork. especially if u have multiple ppl doing it they'll get the message even faster as well.

or just hire someone to do it? thats the next step....paid killers

You misunderstood me a bit DemonCowboy - I didn't say that the person/people I want to kill is/are wearker than I am.

Erm its not picking on somebody.... I dont think you understand what it means to be added to somebodies pk list... If they are weak that is their problem.. they should show more respect... I know that If i was told by somebody much stronger than me that i was on their pk list... i would expect to be attacked every time that person saw me..and thus I would take care not to get caught..and if i did and i got killed then that would be my tough luck...I would take it like a man..(and not go sniffling off moaning about it).

**Edit... And if somebody weaker than me told me i was on their pk list.. i would say .."ok..I will be in arena in 5 mins..see you there.." (But I dont think that happens very often..) :)

And what kind of man gets he friends to take care of his problems??? what are you saying..send a weak friend to go fight your enemy and get him killed ??..that sounds pathetic to me.

The long and the short of it...If you (not you personally :D ) go in pk expect to be attacked (by anyone)... if you are weak then stay away until you are stronger...If you get killed (wether you are weak or strong) take it like a man/or warrior woman :) ..and learn from the experience. There are plenty of places that are safe to train if you are willing to travel.

If your sole reason for hanging in pk areas is to train..then go train on monsters... at least you get a more balanced a/d skill levels.. (instead of a heavily defence biased fighting skill).

Edited by SharkBite

You misunderstood me a bit DemonCowboy - I didn't say that the person/people I want to kill is/are wearker than I am.

if they're not, have at it. i didn't say nething about not attacking trainers or the like because it's not my place alone to develop a full PK ethics list. i do have my own opinions on it though. and most of my ideas in the whole thing would b based around those picking on the substancially weaker. even the code of honor in my guild reflects this.

Erm its not picking on somebody.... I dont think you understand what it means to be added to somebodies pk list... If they are weak that is their problem.. they should show more respect... I know that If i was told by somebody much stronger than me that i was on their pk list... i would expect to be attacked every time that person saw me..and thus I would take care not to get caught..and if i did and i got killed then that would be my tough luck...I would take it like a man..(and not go sniffling off moaning about it).

**Edit... And if somebody weaker than me told me i was on their pk list.. i would say .."ok..I will be in arena in 5 mins..see you there.." (But I dont think that happens very often..) :D

and this mentality is y ppl are complaining about the lack of population on PK maps.

And what kind of man gets he friends to take care of his problems??? what are you saying..send a weak friend to go fight your enemy and get him killed ??..that sounds pathetic to me.

any1 who can't take some1 about thier own health, (even the rules in my guild allow a difference of 1/4 health,) seriously needs to think about the makeup of their character and what is wrong w/ it.

since a reset my char currently has a health of 40 but i couuld pry take down most ppl w/ 60 (maybe higher) because i've figured out a few things about the combat system. btw that's no weaps, no armor, no magic, no pots(on both sides - equipped, i'd b even more dangerous)

The long and the short of it...If you (not you personally :icon13: ) go in pk expect to be attacked (by anyone)... if you are weak then stay away until you are stronger...If you get killed (wether you are weak or strong) take it like a man/or warrior woman :) ..and learn from the experience. There are plenty of places that are safe to train if you are willing to travel.

If your sole reason for hanging in pk areas is to train..then go train on monsters... at least you get a more balanced a/d skill levels.. (instead of a heavily defence biased fighting skill).

actually, for economic reasons, some of the ideas i've proposed/support to help the economy will probably abolish PvP training. especially ,since im of the side that changing the combat exp should be exp/kill and not the propose exp/dammage - to fix the current exp/hit so that weapons become more viable in the game.

but since some of the new harvestables are ONLY going to b on PK maps. this would help protect non-combatants (socially, this wouldn't include outlaw doings this would help encourage the non-combatant types to go there for slightly less risk, giving the outlaws more to do. and subsequently ppl like me more to do that would be out to police these areas more to do. :) )

my purpose to this is to help populate the PK maps more. i'm not trying to take anything away from anybody but add to the entire PvP experience for everybody.

Edited by DemonCowboy

and this mentality is y ppl are complaining about the lack of population on PK maps.

Well I do wish the pk maps were more 'populated' with the people I consider my enemies..Pity most of these are just loudmouths who would run like rabbit if they saw me in a pk map.

any1 who can't take some1 about thier own health, (even the rules in my guild allow a difference of 1/4 health,) seriously needs to think about the makeup of their character and what is wrong w/ it.

I dont understand this statement..It does not answer the question. Who cares about same health or whatever.I was brought up to believe that you never send another to solve your problems. If the problem is beyond you..then yes, seek assistance. Otherwise deal with it yourself.

but since some of the new harvestables are ONLY going to b on PK maps. this would help protect non-combatants (socially, this wouldn't include outlaw doings this would help encourage the non-combatant types to go there for slightly less risk, giving the outlaws more to do. and subsequently ppl like me more to do that would be out to police these areas more to do. :) )

my purpose to this is to help populate the PK maps more. i'm not trying to take anything away from anybody but add to the entire PvP experience for everybody.

Problem is you want to populate the PK maps but then whinge and moan when people get pked... Not everyone who pk's another is an outlaw... And if you read the outlaw posts..The community at large does not consider PKing in a pk map as outlaw activity.

If you want to continue your crusade for a set of ethics rules in PK..then good luck to you...You are doomed to failure...Things will not change..And issues will be dealt with on a case by case basis here in outlaws as they have for ages (well at least the year I have been on...and probably since game began). That is the purpose of the outlaws forum...If somebody feels wronged..they say so..and then the person they complain about has the right of reply.. (which can often show the original complainant up to be the true outlaw..)

**Edit.. Erm i just realised you did not start this ethics thread... but you do seem to have a strong opinion in its favour..so my comment on crusade for ethics in pk seems justified.

Edited by SharkBite

Well I do wish the pk maps were more 'populated' with the people I consider my enemies..Pity most of these are just loudmouths who would run like rabbit if they saw me in a pk map.

well if ppl at least think they have a chance to stay alive more than about 5 seconds w/o some1 w/ 3x their health will come and dispatch them they will enter more often.

I dont understand this statement..It does not answer the question. Who cares about same health or whatever.I was brought up to believe that you never send another to solve your problems. If the problem is beyond you..then yes, seek assistance. Otherwise deal with it yourself.

my point is is that u don't pick on those weaker than u, even if they did piss u off, especially in a way that u cant pull ur punches so to speak. or r u the type to hit females and small kids IRL too?

since u can't just spank the weak 1s (kids) and send them on their way w/ just a scare and bruised feelings. it's best to let some1 else handle that which isn't worth u'r time or effort neway (and go after the ppl that ull at least get some decent exp off of as well)

but since some of the new harvestables are ONLY going to b on PK maps. this would help protect non-combatants (socially, this wouldn't include outlaw doings this would help encourage the non-combatant types to go there for slightly less risk, giving the outlaws more to do. and subsequently ppl like me more to do that would be out to police these areas more to do. :o )

Problem is you want to populate the PK maps but then whinge and moan when people get pked... Not everyone who pk's another is an outlaw... And if you read the outlaw posts..The community at large does not consider PKing in a pk map as outlaw activity.

If you want to continue your crusade for a set of ethics rules in PK..then good luck to you...You are doomed to failure...Things will not change..And issues will be dealt with on a case by case basis here in outlaws as they have for ages (well at least the year I have been on...and probably since game began). That is the purpose of the outlaws forum...If somebody feels wronged..they say so..and then the person they complain about has the right of reply.. (which can often show the original complainant up to be the true outlaw..)

**Edit.. Erm i just realised you did not start this ethics thread... but you do seem to have a strong opinion in its favour..so my comment on crusade for ethics in pk seems justified.

i'm not whining in the slightest, my whole reason for my strong opinion is that my guild is gearing up to police these maps and even up the odds for those picking on the weak to bring honor to those maps. i've recently discovered in a failed alliance negotiation that everybody has different ideas of what honorable and dishonorable is. so when this was proposed i jumped on it to try to gain some concensus.

alot of guilds think they can have total peace, that's not going to happen on PK maps. my guild will not ally w/ those honorless enough to be confirmed outlaw guilds or those that pick on the weak as things stand now. as things stand now w/o concensus my guild will wind up pissing off honorable guilds as well because of enemy things. that's y i'm trying to get a concensus only.

i merely suggest that the community comes up with something in writing on what is honorable and dishonorable. if it's not exact w/ me and my guild's beliefs that's fine, as long as it's decided by the entire community, if the community as a whole decides what is honorable and what isn't then my guild will fall in line w/ that. it eliminates alot of the case by case stuff because there will b set precident. i'm not saying my way alone is the right way. i want it to get discussed and formed by the community. that way, there is a precident every1 can follow. this will lead to fewer misunderstandings between honorable guilds, and that is my entire reason.

EDIT: messed up on the quotes

Edited by DemonCowboy

I always considered PK maps as free for all... no rules ....Thats why I avoided them for much of my early playing days..

I you want to train by PvP then you take the risk on getting pked...just take cheap armour and minimal pots/ess or as others have said go to one of the deserted PK maps..

If you are constantly being attacked (probably because you have upset people) then stop yer moaning and go train on monsters... thats one reason that they are in the game...95% of my a/d has come from the monsters/animals provided..stop whinging because you want to get a/d up a bit faster by pvp.

Part of the excitement in this game comes from the dangers of running through a pk map... Too many want to stroll around with their mm and be perfectly safe everywhere ... (Gotta luv Hulda and the arctic chimes... :D )

Yeeh, you know whats goin on :o

My point is is that u don't pick on those weaker than u, even if they did piss u off, especially in a way that u cant pull ur punches so to speak. or r u the type to hit females and small kids IRL too?

This is a GAME, and therefore the actions you can take are fewer than in real life.

You cannot do much aggressive things in el which is not attack.

I once pked someone who had bagjumped a guildmate, and laughed at me when i said i would pk him. He were much lower level than me, and i ENJOYED doing so. :evilgrim:

I am a kid spanker for that? No, because that guy certainly is not a kid (since he was a guildmaster of a guild) and i dont think his bad actions does not count because he had lower levels.

People can bagjump and get away with it just because they cant be touched because they have -50/-50 att/def than someone on the same guild of the person bagjumped?

Yeah, i could have said, wait 5 mins, someone of your level will pwn you if you wait. He would just laugh at me yet again and leave the pk map.

Oh, i am only allowed to fight with someone with similar level? So if i come back to the game i will need several chars, to pk a range of different levels. :confused:

Edited by Lorck

u could also take down the name and they can get their just deserts again, and again, and again, and again. etc. etc. etc. especially when it comes to guilds. i don't know how it is in most guilds but all enemy DBs are forefiet. i'm sure after 10x u'd get enough out of that person's (and the whole guild's if they're a guildleader acting that way) to make up for what was jumped. (and possibly ruined their guild in the process. having guildmates around their lvl do it, and laughing at him the whole time.

---------

and these here are just my views. that's y i've been trying to get the community to come up w/ a consensus. if the entire community comes up w/ a set of "laws" then even if my guild didn't agree, being a guild that prides itself on being honorable, would adhere to what the community decided. that's exactly what i'm trying to do taking over this thread.

Edited by DemonCowboy

His name was Xenol and the guild he is/was gm is/was WoeL.

It was when Ali was in ^v^, i checked my logs and saw Ali inviting in #ig Xenol to fight and he saying he was blocking #ig with us.

Edit: Oh, and both Xenol and Ali was training on fem orcs, so they had pretty much the same level.

And WoeL was not enemy of ^v^, and i remember checking their site and bagjump was against their rules.

Edited by Lorck

or r u the type to hit females and small kids IRL too?

Now you are just resorting to personal slanderous remarks.. Wake up to yourself..this is a GAME..dont even try and compare it to real life..

i'm not whining in the slightest, my whole reason for my strong opinion is that my guild is gearing up to police these maps and even up the odds for those picking on the weak to bring honor to those maps.

Well good luck with that...Unless your 'Policemen' are in the top 20 a/d then they are going to be pathetic little bunch that will probably spend most of their time walking back from hell. You said that its ok to roleplay...Im sure the high ranked characters will love roleplaying.. as gangsters and 'police' slayers.

How exactly will you poice these areas?? by saying "STOP" or I will say "STOP" again? or will you take it in your hands to PK anyone who dares to pk somebody who is harvesting on pk map? Wont that just make you as bad as them??

Anyway you know my position on the whole PK thingie.... so I will cut my participation in this thread.

And dont compare what people do ingame to real life,, If that is the case then you are a thief in real life because you steal vegetables/fruit and flowers from other peoples gardens??

or r u the type to hit females and small kids IRL too?

Now you are just resorting to personal slanderous remarks.. Wake up to yourself..this is a GAME..dont even try and compare it to real life..

actually most ppl do things in games that they can't do in real life ONLY because they can't do so in real life. and most of these games are addictive, sometimes on some minds blurring which is real which is the game. my slightly younger brother is 1 such example, i'm just waiting to get a call saying that little sociopath did something like that, making me have to travel the 2k miles where he is to hospitalize him... if the police don't get to him first.

i don't know how stable u are, so it's a valid question.

i'm not whining in the slightest, my whole reason for my strong opinion is that my guild is gearing up to police these maps and even up the odds for those picking on the weak to bring honor to those maps.

Well good luck with that...Unless your 'Policemen' are in the top 20 a/d then they are going to be pathetic little bunch that will probably spend most of their time walking back from hell. You said that its ok to roleplay...Im sure the high ranked characters will love roleplaying.. as gangsters and 'police' slayers.

How exactly will you poice these areas?? by saying "STOP" or I will say "STOP" again? or will you take it in your hands to PK anyone who dares to pk somebody who is harvesting on pk map? Wont that just make you as bad as them??

that's y i said gearing up as far as my guild goes. we'll catch up, trust me. besides, that's part of it and part of the fun. u also forget that a few of the top 20 just might reside in the honorable side of this when/if it's all said and done.

as far as the last part, that would depend on the "laws" the community decided, if they decided that u don't attack those harvesting then it wouldn't b as bad as them. it's what the community decides.

And dont compare what people do ingame to real life,, If that is the case then you are a thief in real life because you steal vegetables/fruit and flowers from other peoples gardens??

well i guess i am....lol i've taken fruit from lots of different ppls trees when i lived in FL unless asked not to, but most were more than happy for me doing it so that it was less they had to pick off their yard later. besides i'll take anything off an abandoned property i wish that's perishable. because it's just that - abandoned, just like the places on EL.

i've been on all kinds of times and i've never met any of those owners of those veggie patches or nething else to ask them. if they cared they'd at least post a sign if they weren't going to b there at least some of the time. :omg:

edit: quotes

Edited by DemonCowboy

what your proposing isnt even possible, and yes their allready is a pking rule system in place and i "normally" follow it.....if i see a red tag i attack, if their an enemy they dont afford that luxury, if not i check for things that i would like to have, if these two criteria are not met i prolly wont attack, as was stated before "wear leather armor and minimal potions, ess"....we allready have a policing system in place, if you need help ask a friend or ally.....if you have no friends do what most ppl do, join a guild that has people capable of protecting you "sad but true, how do u think CA$H got so big"...

if you did have these police some little jackass kid would be pissed at someone he couldnt kill and call the police saying he just attacked pvpers

its not because of this issue that PK sucks, its because of the cooldown....before cooldown pk was fun and always populated with a wide variety of people, weak strong good "evil", that same day PK turned into a ghost town, as i was an active pker before and after i noticed the sudden shift of interest.

though i dont really wanna judge you.......something that would be "convenient" for you, does not need to be an imposed law for everyone in the game to abide by

or as was stated before train like mad on monsters til your stong enough to kill the person "trust me it feels good"

what your proposing isnt even possible, and yes their allready is a pking rule system in place and i "normally" follow it.....if i see a red tag i attack, if their an enemy they dont afford that luxury, if not i check for things that i would like to have, if these two criteria are not met i prolly wont attack, as was stated before "wear leather armor and minimal potions, ess"....we allready have a policing system in place, if you need help ask a friend or ally.....if you have no friends do what most ppl do, join a guild that has people capable of protecting you "sad but true, how do u think CA$H got so big"...

if you did have these police some little jackass kid would be pissed at someone he couldnt kill and call the police saying he just attacked pvpers

its not because of this issue that PK sucks, its because of the cooldown....before cooldown pk was fun and always populated with a wide variety of people, weak strong good "evil", that same day PK turned into a ghost town, as i was an active pker before and after i noticed the sudden shift of interest.

though i dont really wanna judge you.......something that would be "convenient" for you, does not need to be an imposed law for everyone in the game to abide by

or as was stated before train like mad on monsters til your stong enough to kill the person "trust me it feels good"

actually, it's quite possible if enough ppl decided to get in on it. plus ppl could police it. i'll explain better when i'm solber. but the whole is to get the MAJORITY of ppl to agree ( like DBs and other things) it would just b the commuhnity agreeing on set policies. that way guilds could co-operate and the like.

as far as cooldown, we have t work w/ what w/ what we have. and something like this would re-populate the maps plus refine the outlaw and apology threads...the alternative is what ppl are already doing, begging the devs for lvl restrictions on PK maps. and if ppl don't start to try i'll become a 100?% advocate of that if ppl r either too stupid, or lazy to work something out with themselves.

I'd just have a loose set of rules that each guild chooses to follow or not, then the guild enforces it (kind of like in America de-centralizing the power) but not under any circumstances having them as rules that if broken could result in punishment from moderators. The PK areas are supposed to be dangerous whatever your doing.

These rules I'd suggest would be something like this:

1. No PKing near entrances

2. No killing trainers

3. No attacking people who are AFK

4. No attacking to start a guild war

5. Anyone else is free for attack

Optional Rules (by optional I mean that these could be adopted for guilds that want to be on the extreme nice side of PKing, which could lead to slang such as 1 rule and 2 rule guilds in addition to no rule guilds)

6. No attacking without first challenging the person and getting his ascent

7. No keeping the property of someone you killed

You could change these around, and maybe instead of one rule or two rule guilds you could have a one through seven rule guild, one rule only having the first rule and seven rule guilds having them all.

Ad point 3) it is their responsibity to be AFK in PK map, if you were sleeping in the middle of battle, do you think you will be spared?

Ad point 7) this would remove the whole purpose of PKing

but I agree that attacking on trainees is bad, but also, it is your responsibity to be there, if you don't want to be PKed, don't go there

Just my small reply, feel free to shoot it down...