Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

Fixing the economy, part 2

I did some brainstorming today, and came up with an idea (actually, I came up with this idea a while ago, but I want to give it more thought today).

One of the reasons the economy is kind of fucked up is that many items have little to no value. Combined with the fact that the resources for making them are more expensive than the item itself (discounting the EXP, of course), and we end up with a lot of 'junk' in the game; items no one makes and no one wants, but are somehow important to the 'level grind'.

Now, what if we make an NPC where you 'donate' junk items (low and mid level swords, armors, etc.) and once a certain number of items are donated, everyone in the guild has, for a predetermined time interval, an advantage?

Say, the whole guild donates 500 broad swords, everyone in the guild has a +5 attack bonus?

You donate 500 tit short swords, the bonus is +5 defense?

You donate 1000 iron helms, you have a COMBAT BONUS +10 phy? (used only for combat calculations).

And so on and so forth.

Would you guys be for this thing?

Keep in mind that bigger guilds will have an inherent advantage due to their size, as they have more people willing to contribute. What do you think?

Definately not if this is a proposal to help with the economy.

While it is a neat idea for increased cooperation, it really doesn't do much for the economy as a whole.

Keep in mind, most dedicated manu'ers are not dedicated pk'ers. A +5 attack would not mean a whole lot to them. Also, most people are inherantly selfish. I think you would find guild events where people worked together to churn out enough items for a bonus, but kept on as they are currently otherwise.

I would definately keep this idea around for competitions and events, but I would not implement it as a fix

This is a Nice idea Entropy.

then every guild would regulate the donations as they see fit (free donations, x items every week and so on).

Still, this will not heal the economy, as DemonCowboy said:

"It's something that can't be done at once"

Cheers

I think this is an OK idea, but it should also be based on the SIZE of the guild. For example you need to donate 10*amount of members of guild for it to have efect: ex: guild with 100 members needs 1000 swords, a guild with 10 members needs 100 swords. BTW Dent, I am a manu'er (lvl 45) and I also have decent PK stats, so there are people that do both skills

i think it has merrit, but wouldn't it be alot of work for each item to b donated to have each advantage? there are lots of items in the game and i think it should make sense, like armors should provide various def related advantages (maybe def/phys?) and weapons att type advantages (att/coord?) and would u balance out the advantages based on different advantages for item? or different ammounts needing to b donated for the same advantage?

well those are my initial thoughts

edit: also i think any help this would be to the economy would be minimal

Edited by DemonCowboy

I like the idea of donating...it reminds me of like the Salvation Army or something. I don't like the idea of the benefits suggested though, I think there should be no reward/benefit from the donation. A donation is a gift that should go unrewarded. :)

May I suggest that you just add like an option that while you are at storage you can hold the "D" key and right click (this will put a little "D" next to it) and then when you close the storage everything in it will be donated. I can't speak for other players, but I would use it to get stuff out of my storage, I'm too lazy to bring it to the NPC's to sell and I don't feel like dropping it near a storage and listening to people whine about "too many bags."

I don't know, just a thought I had...don't hurt me... :P

I think this is an OK idea, but it should also be based on the SIZE of the guild. For example you need to donate 10*amount of members of guild for it to have efect: ex: guild with 100 members needs 1000 swords, a guild with 10 members needs 100 swords. BTW Dent, I am a manu'er (lvl 45) and I also have decent PK stats, so there are people that do both skills

For technical reasons, this can't be done based on the guild's population. It will be a fixed number for all the guilds.

I like the idea of donating...it reminds me of like the Salvation Army or something. I don't like the idea of the benefits suggested though, I think there should be no reward/benefit from the donation. A donation is a gift that should go unrewarded. :)

May I suggest that you just add like an option that while you are at storage you can hold the "D" key and right click (this will put a little "D" next to it) and then when you close the storage everything in it will be donated. I can't speak for other players, but I would use it to get stuff out of my storage, I'm too lazy to bring it to the NPC's to sell and I don't feel like dropping it near a storage and listening to people whine about "too many bags."

I don't know, just a thought I had...don't hurt me... :P

Your idea sounds more like: "Destruction, not Donation". The salvation army gives stuff to people, but pressing D and the item dissapears is like throwing it in the garbage container.

Your idea sounds more like: "Destruction, not Donation". The salvation army gives stuff to people, but pressing D and the item dissapears is like throwing it in the garbage container.

Maybe we can then make it go to a NPC near the tutorial NPC and n00bs can go there and buy items really cheap?

Make an OA limit of 15-20 maybe?

Edited by sbarstow

For technical reasons, this can't be done based on the guild's population. It will be a fixed number for all the guilds.
Would it be possible to have ranges? Like 1-20, 20-50, 50-100, 100-200, 200+, etc.? :)

edit: tags fixed, &:

Maybe we can then make it go to a NPC near the tutorial NPC and n00bs can go there and buy items really cheap?

I don't particularly like this idea...but if you do it, make it a skill or something, otherwise anyone who resets can buy a bunch of stuff. Edited by Atlantis

It would have some reason, if there would be some +%xp to certain skill maybe. Attack and defense bonuses are decreasing xp gained. Just my small participation to the debate :)

It would have some reason, if there would be some +%xp to certain skill maybe. Attack and defense bonuses are decreasing xp gained. Just my small participation to the debate :)
Yes, I think a percentage would be much better than actual levels. Once you become really high in any skill, it would probably be faster to do these quests for level bonus than to actually earn the levels. Edited by Atlantis

That's destroying the economy. not fixing it tbh :)

items donated go to guild blessings or personal blessings in one of the gods.

To donate low level stuff kills the income for low level manufacturers, if you want to donate do events Sbarstow :P

Or perhaps, extra xp given depending on amount of items given, I think, this was some part of another thread, but it could work here too.

Yes, I think a percentage would be much better than actual levels. Once you become really high in any skill, it would probably be faster to do these quests for level bonus than to actually earn the levels.

i think ent meant those as temporary bonuses - like blessings from gods.

In all due respect, I disagree 100% with this new idea of yours, Entropy. Its not going to help the economy. The only thing that its going to do is create more opportunities for abuse. I'm saying this from an experienced player's perspective and not that from a developer, of course. I also think its an unfair advantage for any guild to have, especially the larger more powerful ones with the high level players.

Or how about getting karma points!!

Depending on how much you doante u get 1 karma point!!

And the higher your karma the more you have to donate to get another.

I like this idea alot. There are quite a few items that this would be good for...

Leather Helms

Leather Pants

Leather Gloves

Moon Medallions

Unicorn Medallions

Another thing to use it for possibly could be serp stones.

Now, what if we make an NPC where you 'donate' junk items (low and mid level swords, armors, etc.) and once a certain number of items are donated, everyone in the guild has, for a predetermined time interval, an advantage?

Say, the whole guild donates 500 broad swords, everyone in the guild has a +5 attack bonus?

You donate 500 tit short swords, the bonus is +5 defense?

You donate 1000 iron helms, you have a COMBAT BONUS +10 phy? (used only for combat calculations).

And so on and so forth.

Would you guys be for this thing?

Keep in mind that bigger guilds will have an inherent advantage due to their size, as they have more people willing to contribute. What do you think?

No, I don't think this would be a good idea to help the economy. From a manufacturers perspective and from the mindset of coming from a relatively small guild. Our guild has a few decent manu'ers. I am the highest lvl manu'er we have and I for one am not much of a fighter. We do have several fighters in the guild and I would not mind donating some to help them with temp stat increases, but I don't see this as as partial solution to the economy problem.

I have been mulling over the economy problem for quite awhile now. Unfortunately I don't really have any suggestions on how to fix it other than a couple that are better suited for a different thread so I won't post them here.

My answer would be no. Larger guilds would have alot more advantage than smaller ones, not to mention people who choose to be guildless. And non-pk guilds, who tend to have less fighters, wouldn't care much for the proposed added bonuses.

Guest The_Knight

Yeah Ent I liked you idea about trying to fix the market, but this might not get that accomplished. My alt charecter owns a small guild, and this Idea would give the bigger guilds a HUGE adventage over my guild. and Would never be able to get even atleast 50 unused wepons or armour. and It doesnt solve the basis problem. But there are other ways that The market problem can be fixed, keep thinking!

,The Knight

Sorry Ent I didnt se the post before mine, I just wanted to put in some input about my opinion, Sorry for previous post.

My life: EL!

,Knight

Well, given the huge enthusiasm from people, I've decided to use my time in more rewarding (for me) ways.

Case closed.

I do not want to sound like I am deliberately torpedoing ideas here Ent. If I didn't care, though, I would not even be reading the forums. I really do love the game enough to think hard about what you are asking and try to help with a solution.

Don't get discouraged because I lack tact. And please dont sick Mother Nature on me to get even :)

I think that some of the idea is a good one, but on the whole it is not going to help the eco. at this time, right now at the top of the chain is fighters, so if you lower or get rid of npc's and let others sell for example: if the manufactures made weapons/armors and they bought from the alch, and continues on down the line to the harvestors, all will benifit in the market and could specilize in your skills. like right now if i am in the crafting business, you cant make diddly but you spend a lot to get there so crafters have no use in the game at this time except for moon medallions, some of the other stuff but not much. only the manufactors are benifiting at this point and so are the fighters. so if the npc's are not there to buy or sell except say certain things to bring up the nOObs on IP. the fighters are able to sell bones, meat and fur and drops, while the manu buys from the alch to make etc all profit. also get rid of some of the monster drops, have them drop things that are not manufactorable, books, cloaks and more gold coins to put into the market

right now the monster drops are killing the potion and the crafters and even some of the manufactors at thist time. so again only the fighters are benifiting. have monsters drop things like efe's and other rare items cause right now the manufactors are not making a profit cause they have to buy efe's to make and sometimes loose items, cost 2500 to make tit. sword and sells for less. not really a profit! give this a thought, monster drops books, instead of having to make 10,000 gold coins to buy then read then not have any use out of the knowledge, due to the fact no one wants those items. the price of rare items are too costly to make and loose to sell, so manufactors are holding onto their better items or making for themselves, or buying just from the npc's is cheaper to buy from the npc's than to make. also potions are easy to come by, just buy from the mira cheaper than to make. so if the monsters drop more rare items and books and the cloaks, will increase them, lowering the price, therefore more into the market and people will go in the other fields offered in the game. the blacksmith buying bars really interfer with the alch, the manufactors and with the harvesters. sorry this is so long.