Eternal Lands Official Forums

Personally I think Bob the Gob is really funny, I have no problems with adding humor in the game. Everything does NOT have to be strict, serious, fantasy-medieval.

However, I would never name it that officially, because like others said..it's a part of the community this way, a joke that players may learn and laugh at in time. If you name it, then it's not so special.

i've often told newbies in ch 1 that the gob who just killed him/her was named Bob, a poor, misunderstood goblin cursed to wander Portland. I'm working on a backstory for him, it'll be posted eventually (i'm having small porblems with POV, hold your horses :P). that being said, i'm with those who prefer him to remain officially unnamed, but known as BoB the Gob to the community. :D:D:P

I don't really like players mentioning the Bob in channel 1 - it usually cause lots of off-topic (this is stated as a channel 1 moderator). As a player I don't mind calling him this way. However Robert sounds better:P

I don't really like players mentioning the Bob in channel 1 - it usually cause lots of off-topic (this is stated as a channel 1 moderator). As a player I don't mind calling him this way. However Robert sounds better:P
robert? eh, no, then you lose the entire joke. he's Bob Lynn the goblin (say it out loud if you don't get it)

I tend to agree, though, that this is something best left to the players, whether that's in channels other than 1, or on a guild website, or whatever

robert? eh, no, then you lose the entire joke. he's Bob Lynn the goblin (say it out loud if you don't get it)

I thought the joke was "Bob the Gob"...never cared for that, obviously :)

"Bob Lynn the goblin" is actually much nicer sounding... lol but I never heard that before! :D

Neither did I... I will stay with Robert, though. "Robert, why did you kill another newbie? Bad you... bad you!"

Nah, its Bob, the Portland gob.

Like Fred, the fruitstand and all the other unsung heroes of EL who work so hard for the game. :D

Piper

Shame Fred melted:(

Erm? Fred is alive and well... in PL ;)

It's alive!! (Who was the snowman then?) :D :shuts up:

and how about labeling the grue as drew the grue?

or fluffy's as buffy the fluffy?

or maybe jimmy the chimmy?? :D

lol u forgot hoar the boar

Personally I think Bob the Gob is really funny, I have no problems with adding humor in the game. Everything does NOT have to be strict, serious, fantasy-medieval.

However, I would never name it that officially, because like others said..it's a part of the community this way, a joke that players may learn and laugh at in time. If you name it, then it's not so special.

we can u like to have some humor in the game by the funny things that appear when some1 dies...like that one about the iraq intelligence officer or whatever it is

lol I can imagine a newbie thinking a labeled Bob is a player and trying to trade with him...

Edited by Grayseraph

i could imgaine a noob doing this:

#abuse bob is using hacks to attack me outside a pk map

That's what we call "entertainment" :)

"Sir Robert Goblin of the Portland Goblins family, a very prominent family of goblins at one time. However they have since been killed off and Sir Robert is the last sole survivor, left to wander the streets of Portland, revenging the cruel murder of his entire family. "

How's that for a back story on good ol' Bob?

"Sir Robert Goblin of the Portland Goblins family, a very prominent family of goblins at one time. However they have since been killed off and Sir Robert is the last sole survivor, left to wander the streets of Portland, revenging the cruel murder of his entire family. "

How's that for a back story on good ol' Bob?

lol I like it!

It's a funny name for the gob but naming it "bob the gob" is a bad idea.

If a newbie askes about PL and get the answer "bob" is in there they might think "so what if bob is in there i don't care" (or something similar) and walks to PL and gets killed by the goblin.

It's a monster and it should stay that way.

Newbs should read it before going there.
one of the funniest things I've read in a while... they don't even read the rules page that they have to see before creating a character; how likely are they to read something they aren't forced to see? (as in, most true newbs don't know about)

Which is *way* offtopic
I suppose that started with me... my point, though, was that you can't assume that they will read the help. not even if you force them to know about it, which the encyc doesn't.

IMO, the only way to accomplish that part would be to put tourism info in the 'welcome' message.

eg: Welcome to Portland. Places of note: titanium mine, magic apple, potion school. Do not feed the goblin

Which is *way* offtopic
I suppose that started with me... my point, though, was that you can't assume that they will read the help. not even if you force them to know about it, which the encyc doesn't.

IMO, the only way to accomplish that part would be to put tourism info in the 'welcome' message.

eg: Welcome to Portland. Places of note: titanium mine, magic apple, potion school. Do not feed the goblin

They don't even read the "You are entering a PK map!!111" messages, you really think they are going to read the "Welcome to Portland" messages?! :D

They don't even read the "You are entering a PK map!!111" messages, you really think they are going to read the "Welcome to Portland" messages?!
more will than read the encyc. if you keep it short and humerous, then it's the best chance of them reading it.

and of course, a number of those people would have seen the PK map message and gone there to explore anyway, then found a convenient excuse to try to get 'fr33 $tuffz0rs'

But really, what is the problem with a few newbies getting 0wn3d by Bob. That is what he is there for after all. I say leave it alone, and let this thread die. :-P