Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
anthropologist

It begins..............

This sucks. Toronto is out. Well, now I'll have to go for the canadian teams. Im hoping for two canadian teams in the finals, it will kill the Americans :D.

Btw: Toronto does not suck! No matter what teams beat it, or how badly. But not Atlantis :blink:

Edited by sparhawk

May anybody explain me what is so cool in hockey? I don't get it - bunch of guys on the ice running after black piece of rubber (or whatever it is).

Either way - enjoy it:D

Detroit \o/

Definetly Detroit...they have to win it this year for Stevie, who I couldn't help but notice was in at least 5 of those awesome video shots, including the totally sick one where he slid on his back and STILL makes an amazing assit! As Yzerman's last year in his career, being the longest running captain in NHL history, I think it is only fair that Detroit take the cup AGAIN for him! :D:P

I just hope the Devils play against them for the cup...so I can goto a few of the games! ;):icon13:

May anybody explain me what is so cool in hockey? I don't get it - bunch of guys on the ice running after black piece of rubber (or whatever it is).

Either way - enjoy it:D

Do you mean besides the fights, injuries, and fast paced action of the games? Hockey players, In my opinion, are the best athletes out there, not only do they have to play a game defensivly and aggressivly like in other sports, but they have to do it while on ICE! Not only do they have the toughest job to play the sport but they get injured the most of all athletes and get the worst injuries...like in 04' when Yzerman got nailed by a deflected slapshot which broke his eyesocket, and his eye actually kinda fell out while he was on the ice and was just dangling there...did he quit? NOPE! Sure he wears a visor now, but can you blame him? Then there is the fact that some of these guys can get that little black piece of rubber to go faster than your car...;)

Edited by sbarstow

Do you mean besides the fights, injuries, and fast paced action of the games?
as in the old joke "I was at a fight and a darned hockey game broke out!"?
Hockey players, In my opinion, are the best athletes out there, not only do they have to play a game defensivly and aggressivly like in other sports, but they have to do it while on ICE!
*shrug* m'kay, so there's another angle they have to be trained in. as opposed to people who needed to learn to run to be able to play other sports (sure, who can't run? but who didn't have to learn how?)

but anyway, I just don't get it... I mean, sports is something one does, not something one watches (well, unless you're doing it for learning. analysing your performance or someone elses, etc, but that's not the case at point anyway)

as far as I'm concerned, guys getting excited about sports and players they've never met is about as bad as the gals getting emotional about the melodramatic things in their soaps(I know, it's a somewhat sexist overgeneralisation, but it's mostly accurate... my apologies to anyone who may be offended because they aren't the way I'm generalising)... it's vicarious living, because their own life isn't good enough for them... why? because they didn't make their own life exciting enough (yeah, yeah, who wants the excitement of a dozen people running into you while in ice hockey gear? not the point, there are more mild and safe things you can do that will be more exciting than being a spectator)

now, granted, there are some people who, for whatever reason, wouldn't be able to add interesting things and excitement to their lives. I understand that. but the typical sports fan (short for fanatic, though the terms aren't really synonymous anymore, despite all the 'fans' who act like fanatics :P ) would be able to... given the motivation and determination.

and don't even ask me what I think about the excitement about the violence :icon13:

but like i said. I just don't get it.

It's cuz they didnt let Czerkawski play :rolleyes:

The owners, the owners! Thats what I think, but its true, they dont let quite a few of the player play enough. Tie Domi is not good.. He just a fanbringer, like David beckhem :wacko: . But not his hits and his fights.. let me watch those.

We like to watch hockey because.

>Its really fast, on a small court, and has tons of scoring chances

>Its really violent, tons of fights and good hits

>Nice cup and really competitive teams.

>Its gets you all pumped up and excited. Well at least for hockey fans :wacko: .

Edited by sparhawk

^^and the fights

Those get kinda heated - he wanted to know what was cool. :P

Tsk tsk tsk... I have no clue about hockey, but that it's on ice I realised after anthropologists PKed somebody who said it's boring or smth.

The fights might be interesting though.

Just for you Atahn, I will rephrase: What's so interesting in hockey?

Just for you Atahn, I will rephrase: What's so interesting in hockey?

It is probably the fastest paced sport you can find. While the regular season can get a little dull, playoff hockey is almost an entirely different game. Every game is played at its highest level of intensity. The goaltenders seem to gain near superhuman acrobatic abilities and the players skate like they have jets attached to blades.

The irony is the bonus players recieve for playoff success is much much lower than their average regular season play.

And ttlan......is there something wrong in appreciating another person's abilities when they do something exceptionally well? Canada has 30 million people and I bet 10 million of those people have played hockey in their lives....but only about 500 can play at that level. Writing is also something that we do, therefore are we not supposed to enjoy a fine authors work? My advice...grab a beer...grab a TV, and watch a game.

Oh and don't forget to watch Detroit pummel Edmonton tonight at 10:00pm (EST) on either OLN or CBC :P