Eternal Lands Official Forums
Infamous

Lord of the flies day

Lord of the flies day  

261 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want the lord of the flies day implemented?

• Yes
    • No

PK maps are empty most of times....

...and doesn't this tell you that most players don't like PK'ing? What makes you think all other maps would not become equally empty during a PK day?

I've got a better idea, since we obviously now want to cater to PKers, and let no one else have a say:

Let's totally forget this idea; it's obviously less than what the game developer wants. How about instead, we just turn every map permanently PK - including IP and the Underworld. Then, with the total catering to PKers, we can remove Peace Day, just so no one has to hear the obscenities the PKers are hurtling at the developers for having a Peace day? We can also remove the No Drop Day; and Rostogal stones, just to fully finalize the groteque catering. That would be such a fun game then...

You would be surprised on how many new player we'd get if we did that.

UO was, at a point, pretty much like what you sarcastically suggest. When they turned it into a PK optional thing, a lot of players left.

Those players would like a game where PKing everywhere is OK.

Tibia, I think, has a similar system.

And there's not another side to the coin?

I'm certain in such a suggestion, you might see more people - and I'm also certain in such a suggestion, many would leave.

Now, I know you can't make everyone happy, but to have such a day intentionally throws out one segment of the EL population. I believe it's more than just PKers and non-fighters here - I know for certain I don't necessarily fit either; I'm an all-rounder - I like to be able to do a it of everything, and at least pretend to have the ability to do so. If either my sarcastic idea or this day passes, I have one of two choices for my character now - one, quit fighting and I don't have to worry - except I can NEVER fight anything again, on the off-chance that I could get enough experience to up my a/d levels by 9. OR, I have to abandon my friends that I have made in this game, totally change who I am, and actually pretend to enjoy murder and pillage without consequence.

I am somewhat familiar some with both UO before Trammel, and after - and I am convinced EL does not have what UO had to make the system work. We lack running, ridable animals, karma system, fighting styles, more variety in many support skills/items... I understand the game is developing - it has to. I don't see a sudden change of the rules, even for a minute, without ways to work with it (except die), just doesn't work, as I see it.

Then again, this begs a question - if you want to do something, since this is obviously your game, why even ask opinions?

Edited by Arnieman

I have to abandon my friends that I have made in this game, totally change who I am, and actually pretend to enjoy murder and pillage without consequence.

You cannot be so idiotic to believe this. Sure, there are some PKer's who probably are like that (not that clicking on a character on a screen is even remotely like murder and pillage), but most PKer's are not like that. There are even some that are quite nice.

Why do they PK then? Well for that uncertainty factor. Beating monsters is just a numbers game. Other players might have a diss ring, they might have pots, they might have some magic to throw back... there are variables which can make things different. They certainly aren't all evil.

Here's a question for everyone in this thead. What if normal ingame monsters could change maps, and gang together to attack, would you still object? Or is it because there is some person controlling the character on the other end that you object?

/edit: Fixed typos

Edited by Torg

yea, but in a game like EL it wouldnt work to make evrything pkble 24/7

cuz its not only a/d skill

no1 would be able to make things if u keep get pked while mixing stuff at a storage

PK maps are empty most of times....

...and doesn't this tell you that most players don't like PK'ing? What makes you think all other maps would not become equally empty during a PK day?

I was quoting this:

It will give the players over a certain level the OPTION to attack other players over a certain level.

For all of the: "Omfg I am just a peaceful harvester or whatever and some mean PKer killedx0r me!11!oneeleven". Get a social life.

If people will be killing you it means they have no use for you, and they hate you. If a PKer buys stuff from you and your guild, most likely he or she will not just attack you like that, since they know there can be consequences, such as you and your guild not doing business with him/her and their guild.

The new metals will be in PK maps, so you will have to do some PKing or have some alliances with others to protect you.

Why? Because it adds to the game. Makes it more interesting, creating a whole new world of politics, bribery, protection fees and so on.

I didn't mean everything pkeable ;)

Edited by epervier

I have to abandon my friends that I have made in this game, totally change who I am, and actually pretend to enjoy murder and pillage without consequence.

You cannot be so idiotic to believe this. Sure, there are some PKer's who probably are like that (not that clicking on a character on a screen is even remotely like murder and pillage), but most PKer's are not like that. There are even some that are quite nice.

the only PKers I've met are the ones that believe everyone should PK or die. If any think like this, it's still valid.

And, personally, I look at all PK as an unnecessary brutality that I want to avoid - in my charactor. That is the role I play.

Why do they PK then? Well for that uncertainty factor. Beating monsters is just a numbers game. Other players might have a diss ring, they might have pots, they might have some magic to throw back... there are variables which can make things different. They certainly aren't all evil.

Are you reading the same thread I am? Most wan this not for any uncertainty factor - there's that still with monsters (will they hit a critical hit, will your armor be destroyed, will you die?). They want this for easy drops - one even said (effectively) DUH when someone made that point.

Here's a question for everyone in this thead. What if normal ingame monsters could change maps, and gang together to attack, would you still object? Or is it because there is some person controlling the character on the other end that you object?

That was one of the things Learner mentioned for Other-Life - IIRC, people kinda liked the idea... I don't know, really.

No need to force anyone who likes all other skills and does not PK to let themselves get killed all over EL.

I'd just like to point out here, if they DO have interest in these other skills and NOT PK, they are NOT likely to be within the 120 A/D range, so in fact WONT have anything TO worry about....

Those few that ARE multiskilled AND actually have a/d above the 120 range, well..for those I think tiruns' earlier idea of making only the outside areas of the maps be pkable areas for this #day is absolutely perfect from a roleplaying point of view.

The chance of running from place to place to avoid Bandits on the road seems to me to be a quite exciting way to spend a couple of hours gametime. So from THIS point of view, the day also caters for roleplayers seeking excitement, and not JusT pkers.

I'd just like to point out here, if they DO have interest in these other skills and NOT PK, they are NOT likely to be within the 120 A/D range, so in fact WONT have anything TO worry about....

Actually... its combined a + d = 120 (or above). So anyone 60/60 and above is involved in this.

nonsence. I don't PK. and while I'm not at a+d=120 yet (45/51), i'm not that far away, considering I can gain a level in each in a day or three when I feel like hunting ogres and trolls

120 isn't as high as you think

Yes this will make the game much more interesting for fighters (protection, fees, etc...)

True enough

and for harvesters (dont isolate socially, economically, etc...).

Not true at all.

nonsence. I don't PK. and while I'm not at a+d=120 yet (45/51), i'm not that far away, considering I can gain a level in each in a day or three when I feel like hunting ogres and trolls

120 isn't as high as you think

ttlanhil is right.

I'm not a PKer and I don't want to be a PKer. Yet, my a+d is very close to 120.

This day would be perfect to please the troublemakers.

As many people have already pointed out, it seems like it will only be a max of 6 EL hrs... which i dont think is that long. There were always be days that you don't like, you just have to deal with it. This day DOES NOT force you to do anything, it just increases the risk involved in the activity you wish to participate. Some of the idea's to make this day more feasible have already been described by others here; having a short delay in time from being pk'd when logging on or going to a different map, having storages and other small areas as safe havens.

Don't just argue for the sake of arguing. If you have a particular code of ethics which interfere's with you being able to accept this day, I respect you for that. However, this game isnt just for one person, but for all... and there will always be changes that people don't like. I think this change will positively affect the dynamics of the game.

There are many people, myself included, who do like and get a "rush" from pk'ing and avoiding/courting danger. Vote YES :)

Here is something to consider:

HOW is this going to be implemented?

Are all the players with any combination of a/d adding up to greater than 120 going to be made pkable? If so, that means that none of the affected players will gain any a/d experience AND they will NOT be able to pick up bags! Which means that all the people NOT affected can run in and reap the benefits.

Will we all get a new flag with new restrictions? If so, what are they?

Or will the maps themselves be affected so everything is as normally happens on the currently pk maps?

:)

Edited by NitageR

This day DOES NOT force you to do anything,

No? If my a+d>120 I don't have to fight if I don't wanna?

it just increases the risk involved in the activity you wish to participate.

sure, the activity would be playing EL.

well then there should be a 10 second warning like the you entered a pk map thing

more than 10 seconds.. more like 5 minutes because for some of us it takes a minute before we even see the screen after logging in.

another suggestion is to always log your char out in a safe place aka IP, safe zones such as the inside of a house or a cave (i don't even know if caves will be included in the Pkable zones for the rare day).

yes entropy is right to say that having all maps pkable all the time would attract more players such as tibia, etc.. but this is not some other game. it is eternal lands and most people who started playing did so because it wasn't similar to games like tibia.

what makes el so unique is that it is an actual role player game with no class restrictions and there is basically something for everyone. i'm not suggesting that there shouldn't be a "lord of the flies" day.. all that i am saying is that if there is, first of all we need a no attack period after logging on since we have no way to know what kind of day it is. that is the only fair thing to do.

you don't have to fight.. you can alway's dis+tele mmkay?

Really, Sherlock? And tele to another map where I would still be pkable.

Like someone else has already said 120 A/D range isn't that high. I am 57/68 a/d and I train on Ogres mostly. Thats as high as I can go atm :P And Im not a Pker. I am an allrounder. I can make my own Basic weapons and Armor. I can make any potion I want, Essences. I can make my own tele rings and medallions, I can harvest all that harvestable at this time. I can even summon a few snakes. So if this day came to be I would be affected.

Those few that ARE multiskilled AND actually have a/d above the 120 range, well..for those I think tiruns' earlier idea of making only the outside areas of the maps be pkable areas for this #day is absolutely perfect from a roleplaying point of view.

The chance of running from place to place to avoid Bandits on the road seems to me to be a quite exciting way to spend a couple of hours gametime. So from THIS point of view, the day also caters for roleplayers seeking excitement, and not JusT pkers.

I agree here and Thats why I voted yes. I think it really could be interesting. And it woudn't be everyday!

you don't have to fight.. you can alway's dis+tele mmkay?

Dis and tele doesn't always work. A Pker could kill me in 1 or 2 hits. Before I realised I was being attacked I could be in underworld going :P

Edited by Sweettea

I like the idea, but i think that for the 1st 30min. a player logs on s/he cannot be PKed, this will be more than enough time for them to go to storage (or no items will be lost during the PK day) and run to safety.

I like the idea, but i think that for the 1st 30min. a player logs on s/he cannot be PKed, this will be more than enough time for them to go to storage (or no items will be lost during the PK day) and run to safety.
see, there's another problem. if you give people enough time to get somewhere safe then they also have enough time to do a disconnect cycle, and stay PK-proof all day... it'd be a pain, but at least it'd be playable... and hence not allowed

You know, you say cater to pk'ers like its a bad thing. They have 3 days against them just like everyone else(no drop, peace, and no flee).PLUS, they have the SR and diss ring cooldown against them, that can't be gotten around like the rest of us do with fp's. So why not compensate for all the added negatives they have against them?

Maybe if you implement this day...another day could be added...No cooldown day. That way noone would have anything to bitch about.

Edited by LadyWolf

I like the idea of the lord of the flies day. There should be safe places though like IP, insides and the portals room.

But I don't like that idea that some metals will only be harvestable in PK areas. That would shift the game too much towards pking.